Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dixienormas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2005, 11:27 PM
    2001 pontiac grand am 2.4 liter won't start
    I have a 2001 pontiac grand am 4 2.4 liter. I drove it home tonight (about 60 mile drive) and shut it off. Came back out about an hour later and drove it across town and shut it off again. It sat for about 2-3 hours. When I came back out to return home it would crank but not start. Cheacked all the fuses under the hood for the fuel pump and injectors... all fine... could it possible be a relay, or actually the fuel pump just went bad out of the blue. (54,000 miles, and has been raining all day... lil extra info) Any help would be very much appreciated!
    dixienormas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2005, 05:57 AM
    Fuel pump
    I cheacked it all out this morning and I can hear my electronic fuel pump kick on when the ingnition in turned to acc. Myabe still a relay? Or maybe I am just not getting any spark? And insite would be very much appreciated! Thanks!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2005, 06:34 AM
    The old quick checks of pulling a spark plug wire or working the throttle linkage don't work if you don't have them. Try pulling the entire ignition assembly off and see if with just the little springs out of the spark plug boots you get spark. If not, likely it is the ignition module.

If you have spark, pull the fuel injector rail off, point it somewhere safe to squirt gas, and crank the engine, and se if any gas squirts out.
    bdaved Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2005, 08:53 AM
    Bug in 2001 Grand Am won't Start Car.
    Mine was doing the same thing, found this article on the web. I tried it and it worked. Give it a try and let us know

A bug in 2001 Pontiac Grand Am's causes them to simply not start, right out of the blue. Better hope you're not in the wrong neighborhood when it happens 'cause almost nobody knows what the fix is.

(PRWEB) February 21, 2005 -- If you own a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am, you'd better hope you're not stuck somewhere bad when this hits: You go to start your car, and the engine cranks, but it seems like your out of gas, and won't start. Numbers of people then have the car towed to a shop, only to find that the car easily starts after being towed, but no cause is ever found.

The problem is that the RKE (remote keyless entry) system has a defect in it that causes car not to start. As of now there is no recall on the passlock systems. As for a fix, the experts are honestly not sure.

To reset the computerized system, put key in the ignition and leave it in 'On' position for about ten minutes. Then turn it off, and try - it should start then. Warning: continued resetting of the computer this way will eventually damage computer and will cost lots to replace/fix.
    masterpontech Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 07:37 AM
    Unless you want to keep reprogramming the ignition cylinder than have fun,
    But I would suggest going to a pontiac dealership with a current key, the current ignition cylinder and your title for proof of ownership and have them make you a new cylinder that would be the best bet cost would probably be around 150 -200 but it will save money in the long run
    masterpontech Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 07:38 AM
    [QUOTE=bdaved]. As for a fix, the experts are honestly not sure.

Speak for yourself buddy
    mackmack44 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Pontiac gt 2001 won't start change plugs still acts as out of gas
    Netrunner Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Apr 22, 2008, 08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bdaved
    Mine was doing the same thing, found this article on the web. I tried it and it worked. Give it a try and let us know

A bug in 2001 Pontiac Grand Am's causes them to simply not start, right out of the blue. Better hope you're not in the wrong neighborhood when it happens 'cause almost nobody knows what the fix is.

(PRWEB) February 21, 2005 -- If you own a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am, you'd better hope you're not stuck somewhere bad when this hits: You go to start your car, and the engine cranks, but it seems like your out of gas, and won't start. Numbers of people then have the car towed to a shop, only to find that the car easily starts after being towed, but no cause is ever found.

The problem is that the RKE (remote keyless entry) system has a defect in it that causes car not to start. As of now there is no recall on the passlock systems. As for a fix, the experts are honestly not sure.

To reset the computerized system, put key in the ignition and leave it in 'On' position for about ten minutes. Then turn it off, and try - it should start then. Warning: continued resetting of the computer this way will eventually damage computer and will cost lots to replace/fix.
    Close but not quite. It will not damage your computer. This is just a security method that keeps someone from stealing your car but it is malfunctioned. I had the same issue, there are a couple fixes. This one found here, How To Disable Passlock 1 or 2 - Grand Am Owners Club Forums. Here is the way I used, WikiAnswers - Is there a fuel system shutoff and reset on a 2001 Grand Am. The security light will be always on but if that annoys you, you can always take the dash apart and break the tiny light bulb associated to the security light.
    lovethegrease25 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Try the coil check it
    ziggy79 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 06:07 PM
    I have a 2001 Grand AM and every time I start it I put it in Drive and it hestitates and as soon as it takes off after the hesitation the chk eng lite, trac off lite and the ABS lite come on and stay's on. I brought it to my mechanic and it read NO error codes. The car as never had a tune up but has 102,000. The ignition coil was replaced less then a year ago. Any suggestions at all?? Please Help... Skipping in RI
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 22, 2008, 06:35 PM
    ziggy79, I would replace the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and, possibly, the Ignition Control Module.

Changing the spark plugs (ACDelco only) is a must.
    ziggy79 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 08:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    ziggy79, I would replace the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and, possibly, the Ignition Control Module.

Changing the spark plugs (ACDelco only) is a must.
    Thanks! My mechanic said it is the computer that is causing the hesitation because it is giving the error code "No Data" he said I don't need a tune up. But it has 103k mile I no it's never been done. Im going to tomorrow give it a good tune up change the air filter. Check the fuel pressure and take it from there. Thanks
    meadowrose613 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2008, 03:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by masterpontech
    unless you wanna keep reprogramming the ignition cylinder than have fun,
    but i would suggest going to a pontiac dealership with a current key, the current ignition cylinder and your title for proof of ownership and have them make you a new cylinder that would be the best bet cost would probably be around 150 -200 but it will save money in the long run

My 2001 Pontiac Grand Am left me stranded several x's this past weekend. Took it to a mechanic, was told that it was the anti theft security system in the ignition, was told to take it to a Pontiac dealer. Called the Pontiac mechanic today at a dealership, was told that the ignition cylinder and the ignition switch BOTH needed to be changed to FIX the problem. I asked how much it was going to cost, was told $250 in parts and $250 in labor. Total cost, $500 to 'fix' the problem. Called my regular mechanic, he told me that I should take it to the Pontiac mechanic because they have to recode the cylinder, therefore, it would be easier and better for a Pontiac mechanic to do it. I told him that I thought that $250 in parts was a lot of money. My regular mechanic told me that it sounds about right.

Any suggestions or comments here?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

1992 Pontiac Grand Am [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 1992 Pontiac Grand Am. Recently, to make a long story short, I had to drive through a flood (large puddle of water) and the car was submerged in water (the water came up to the door inside the car) and had to be pushed out to higher ground. I was able to start it after 2 days after...

My PC won't start [ 2 Answers ]

Just installed windows xp 3 days ago, Now I put on my PC and it won't start... the lights donot even come on I changed the cords but it still won't work

2001 honda civic won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2001 honda civic 1.7 dx manuel recently it was broke into and they stripped out were you place the key in the ignition. Well I replaced the ignition unit and connected all the wires to the ignition that I disconnected. Now the engine will rotate but not start does anyone know anyway I...

Pontiac grand am 98 se 2.4 engine hesitation [ 7 Answers ]

Having trouble with my car. When it is on a red light or stop sign or even on drive position it Likes chokes like its not giving fuel. I tap the gas pedal and it goes. Also, When starting my car it cranks but I have to press the gas pedal 1 time to start. It doesn't give me a hard time in the...

View more questions Search