Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bili1989 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2005, 08:22 PM
    Invest or pay off mortgage
    I am recently widowed and need a little financial advice. After selling my home, I have enough money to pay off my home which I am building. My investment broker told me to invest and use the interest to pay off the monthly house payments and in 15 years I would have the exact amount of money in the bank, plus my home would be paid off. But my accountant said, PAY OFF Mortgage - THE MARKET IS TOO VOLATABLE. YOU WILL LOSE THE MONEY AS WELL AS THE HOUSE"

So can anyone give me some advice as to who is right and who is wrong?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2005, 08:47 PM
    In 2000, my wife inherited some money and we paid off our 8% mortgage just before the tech wreck. What is your interest rate? Do you think it is realistic to average a greater return over the next 15 years? Interest rates are down from 5 years ago, and the market is not as frothy now. Tougher call.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 2, 2005, 07:58 AM
    Bili1989:

A lot depends on your age and your general financial condition.

If you are relatively young (less than age 40) and you have a good paying job, that would suggest that an integrated investment plan using your employer's retirement plan, ROTH IRAs and generally diversified investments would be your best long-term option. With fixed loan rates at about 5%, you can do better investing over the long-term (20 years plus).

If you are older (50+), then paying off the mortgage and investing what you would have paid in monthly payments would be a better plan. This is especially ture if your job circumstances are tenuous.

You can contact me at [email protected] if you have more detailed questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I heard invest in the international market especially paper is it true? [ 3 Answers ]

I heard that VCP Brazilian paper is a worthy investment... something to do with recycling... need a comment on international paper investments especially investments in South American companys...

Should I invest in 401K? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on a H1B visa and am planning to return back to my country in a couple of years. I have been investing in 401K since my employment. I would like to know if this investment will be valid or do I just forefeit the money when I leave the country. If it will be of no use, is there...

To invest [ 2 Answers ]

Looking for advice on how to invest in the stock market. I would be investing more like a day trader, buy stocks for a short term and sell them after they make a profit. Any recommendations on what on-line service is better, cost efficient, able to buy/sell stocks rapidly.. Thanks

Invest or pay off mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

Situation Owe 118,000 on mortgage at 5% interest rate on 10 year term. Want to buy a new house that is worth 280,000. Current house will sell for 200,000. Should I pay current mortgage off in the next 3 to 4 years and cut back on investments. Or should I sell now keep investing put new house...

View more questions Search