Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 04:28 AM
    "Fiction" book about food chain in a pond
    I remember a book I read in Jr. High School: It was a fictionalized book about a little critter that eventually was eaten by a bigger thing. Then the story told of the life of the bigger thing until it got eaten... and so on.

It took place in and around a pond or lake.

Does this ring a bell to anyone?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 04:32 AM
    I can't remember anything like this happening in a pond! But the story reminds me of the old woman who swallowed a fly!

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 04:34 AM
    The book was cool. It described the life and activities of each critter as it moved into the belly of the next one. It was a wonderfully entertaining way to teach about the lives of the various creatures.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 15, 2007, 04:43 AM
    OMG, yes I remember it, but for the life of me cannot remember the name. Will ask my librarian friend in my daughter's middle school if she knows it.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 04:44 AM
    I remember that book, Rick, but I cannot remember the title. The lesson from that book was incredible. My biology teacher, correlated the book to our lives. Right there, in high school as sophomores, we were getting to be the bigger fish in the pond. Once we graduated high school our big fish days were done as we went to college or the military or even started working. There would also be some bigger fish out there in a bigger pond.

Did you see the PBS special about a week ago called, "Sharkland"? That was a fantastic special, shot in the ocean area off the tip south Africa. So many species of sharks that each had their place in the food chain. How the ocean currents brought the species together at different times.

I wish I had the book title for you though, it was a great story.
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 04:47 AM
    I'm glad to hear others liked it. I don't know what made me think of it recently, but would love to find it for my kids.

I did not see Sharkland. I'll have to check the guide to see if they'll be replaying it.

PS, Thanks j_9. Would be cool if your friend knows what it is :)
    Expert

May 15, 2007, 04:49 AM
    I just sent the E-mail to the school librarian, hope she remembers it too. ;)
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 04:54 AM
    I remember it being a fairly thin (1/2"+ or so) paperback - I think with a fish on the cover... if that helps.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 06:16 AM
    There is a children's book called, "Little Fish in a Big Pond" by Teresa O'Brien. Found the link on Amazon - see - Amazon.com: Little Fish in a Big Pond (Child's Play Library): Books: Teresa O'Brien
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 06:23 AM
    That's not it... but looks like they might be trying to get across the same idea, but for younger kids...
    Expert

May 15, 2007, 10:22 AM
    Ugh, the librarian doesn't know what it is. She will ask the different science teachers though.
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 10:23 AM
    Haha, I was dancing in my seat when I saw the notification of your post. Funny how something like this sticks with me - and now I can't get the thought of the book out of my head :D
    Expert

May 15, 2007, 10:25 AM
    It's driving me nuts too!! Hopefully the science department will come through for us.
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 10:28 AM
    If someone invented a top-notch movie, TV show and book title search engine they'd get rich quick I think!
    CookinNow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2012, 07:08 PM
    Hey, I am looking for the book mentioned in this post. Like these fellas I cannot seem to remember the title. Did anyone ever find it?
    CookinNow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2013, 01:52 PM
    Found It!! It is called Watchers at the Pond by Franklin Russel. My husband read it long ago and the only part of the title he could remember was "The Pond". With only that to go on (There are thousands of books with the word "pond" in the title) I have been searching and searching for it and finally the cyber gods smiled upon me. A new copy will cost you a fortune, but there are "acceptable" used copies for sale from various on-line vendors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlook: "A program is trying to access your Address Book" What is this all about? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi to every one! Is a coupples of days that I have this weird problem here with my OutlookXP. When I go to compose a new email and click over the New button, I get a popup telling that A program is trying to access your Address Book and if I want it to let it manage my address book and for how...

Seeking Holistic Type Cat Food for"Calcium Oxalate Stones in Bladder"(had surgery) [ 9 Answers ]

My 6 yr. old male, indoor, rescued cat Ginger recently had surgery where they removed several calcium oxalate stones from the bladder. Also, in analysis (at another Vet's Hospital) they found struvites. Complicated story as he was taken out of that hospital as my poor kitty was suffering for...

How much "people food" can a kitten take? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! I have a 2 and 1/2 month old kitten named Auni. She is an adorable, perfectly healthy kitten. But I have one question, how much people food can a cat have before it starts to create health problems? My Mom just won't STOP feeding her people food! She gives her EVERYTHING, and of...

Convert a lamp to work on a "hot" switch via pull chain [ 1 Answers ]

My builder wired a light in an arch way with a "hot" outlet. We put our pool table underneath the archway and now need to add a pool table lamp fixture. All the ones I can find require a light switch. Because the archway if solid wood there was no way to wire it to a switch so the builder told...

About the book called "The Wars" [ 1 Answers ]

It is written by Timothy Findiey Did someone read it? Can you please tell me what this book is about? ( in detail please! ) Emergency.. Thank you very much!

View more questions Search