Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flakzeus Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

May 14, 2007, 11:14 PM
    Odd situation - Deeds and Property
    I was researching a problem I have and stumbled upon this site and figured I'd give it a try.

Edit: This is in North Carolina by the way.

Here is my situation:

My great aunt owned a home behind my current residence. It was my understanding that when she passed away, it was to be left to our church. Before she died, she had signed over the deed of the house to her brother, my great uncle. He has since passed away also. Which, to my understanding, has left the house to the church.

The church has recently rented the house out to a local business who houses immigrant workers in it. Whom has caused numerous issues within the neighborhood (theft, peeping toms, loud music, various other things).

I was looking in the GIS database for our county and looked up that property and to my surprise, the deed of the house is still in my deceased great uncle's name.

This doesn't seem legal to me, could someone shed some light on this subject for me?

Also, I would like to buy this property to keep it in my family, but the church is wanting almost double what the tax value of this property is.

Any guidance would be most helpful.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 15, 2007, 06:15 AM
    Was there a will? If the property is still recorded in your uncle's name and he had no will donating the property to the church, then the property goes to his heirs or whatever the will says.

So first you need to find out what legal right the church has to the property. Just an "understanding" may not be enough. If there is no will, then the legal hiers have to challenge the church's right to use the property.

May 15, 2007, 06:51 AM
    Scott,
    I appreciate your useful response. I will check on the will.

Thanks again.

May 15, 2007, 07:19 AM
    First, let me say that I do not agree with or condone excon's comments here. What I do agree with was his right to make them. When you post on an open site like this, you open your post to any comments from anyone who wants to comment. You have no right to restrict anyone's comment's beyond the guidelines posted by the site. If you object to a post, there is a report facility available to you. If you want to rebut a post, you have that right as well. Or you simply have the right to ignore.

May 15, 2007, 07:28 AM
    Scott,

I agree that he has the right to make his post. However, in that same sense I have the right to make my post and ask him not to post in my topics.

May 15, 2007, 07:35 AM
    Agreed as long as its clear that it's a request.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 15, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Ok, many people tell others they are going to leave this to someone, and that they are going to do this and that, or want this and that done, Just wanting it done, unless she hired an attorney and got a will draw up.

But since she signed it over to her brother ( your uncle) your aunts wishes or even your aunts will has no bearing on it, since it was signed over prior to her death.

So it is the uncles will, someone would have to inherit the house, the will will have to be taken to probate and executed, and probate will issue a new deed. So the heirs of the estate listed in the will need to see about it. Next check with the tax office who is paying and who is being billed the real estate taxes.

If the church was left the property then it will be in the will.

If there is no will, then the ownerhsip of the property will go to the next of kin.

But the distrubing the pease and the housing of immigrant workers is another legal issue, first is there more than one family living in the home, how is the home zoned, if it is zoned single family, you can force the city to order the utilities be disconnected and the certificate for residency revolked. If this is a rooming house or a shelter it has to be zoned and licensed as such.

Next call the police, video tape the problems, if after enough calls on record, you have possible civil suit againt the business person renting it, and the church for ownership, because it is drpriving you of peaceful use of your property and other items that evade my mind at the moment.

* I will add that most immigrant workers are wonderful people, honest and hard working, we can not and should not blame a group of people for the actions of a few

May 15, 2007, 08:15 AM
    Fr_Chuck,
    Thank you for your response. I will definitely see about the will. A short time ago, after numerous police reports, they were kicked out by the church due to our reports. The house sat empty for about six months, just two weeks ago.. they moved a new bunch in and the problems started again.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 15, 2007, 10:03 AM
    Sounds like time to sit down with the church and have a serious talk, I havve found often if board of directors understand there may be legal liablity churches change their mind fairly fast

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Very odd [ 2 Answers ]

Well this is really weird because I am still in fact a virgin but do seem to be showing very similar symtpoms to people with Gonorrhea anyone got an idea what this could be?

Deeds and Titles commercial property [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the scenario: Little old grandmother builds and solely owns and runs a 12 unit apartment complex in Mississippi for 20 years. She unwisely decides to have her daughter added to the deed, as agesture of godwill and in hopes it will straighten the child out. Since then this daughter has...

Something Odd.. . [ 1 Answers ]

Probably within the last month or so, my toilet has seemed to develop a life of its own. Every once in a while (several times a day), it seems to run for a few seconds at a time. It doesn't flush, but it has the sound of the last few seconds after you've flushed. (Am I making any sense?) I'm...

Odd landlords [ 9 Answers ]

This is long so I apologize in advance... My significant other, daughter, and I moved into a full house with a large yard 2 months ago. We rented through a real estate agent. I specifically wanted this house because of the large yard. There have been several problems with the demands of...

Odd situation... [ 35 Answers ]

HEY GUYS! I haven't been on here in a bit, but yet again I am a "situation". I guess its not a bad one to be in though!:D The gal from Cali is home, she just got back 2 days ago, but I have yet to see/talk to her since she has been back. I think I am going to wait at least until Mon before I call...

View more questions Search