Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    p_shal09 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2003, 11:20 PM
    Ram SIZE shown query
    My computer support person installed 128 MB RAM on my computer, one chip. But when the computer starts it shows me 97 MB something mem and also when I right click on windows 2000 or windows 98 Mycomputer properties, it also shows the same. He said that the rest is shared memory, so not displayed. But in other fren's computer, it shows the full RAM size, What is the problem with my computer..

Help
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2003, 12:19 AM
    Re: Ram SIZE shown query
    p_shal09,hi your PC support person is right. The 128MB memory in your PC is shared with the video RAM which is 31MB. This is because the video card of your PC is built into your pc's motherboard. Memory is usually shared when a PC has a video card built into the motherboard.

Your friend, on the other hand, has an add-on video card plugged onto his pc's motherboard. Add-on video cards have their own memory amount.

If you look behind your PC and the video slot--where one end of the monitor is attached--is next to your mouse and keyboard slots, then your pc's video card is built in.

Just ask him or look behind his PC. If you see a vertical slot (by placing the PC on its side) where one end of the monitor cord is attached, that is an-add on video card.
    daveslounge Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2003, 01:26 AM
    Re: Ram SIZE shown query
    RAM will go up and down with the amount of stuff that your computer is doing.
    If, upon start-up, you're downloading songs, then that's going to take up RAM. All the programs you have running in the background use RAM. Thankfully Windows manages it all so it divies it out as needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Saved Image name not shown [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have XP windows - window explorer 6. ;) When I try to save image (in jpeg format), it saved,, but the name of the image does not appears (as it was not saved)... even the image is there still I can not see it. Other image format has no problem and the name of image is shown (only if...

Why is toilet venting shown in UPC unacceptable? [ 1 Answers ]

I was looking at "various methods for venting toilets" in excerpts from the UPC ( http://www.masterplumber.com/Laws/UPCExcerpts.html#ventexceptions).The last configuration shown is labeled as not allowed. It has both the vertical vent pipe and the vertical toilet discharge pipe connnecting to a...

DNS Query Query. A Query about DNS Queries... [ 12 Answers ]

I am a software developer, I don’t know much about networks. I have a working network but with one weird (well to me it’s weird) problem. If you can offer any insight I’ll be very grateful! <!--- Image Attachment Below (I couldn't find a way to paste it here in the editor :-( ) ---> ...

View more questions Search