Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sarosebud Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 05:10 PM
    Water softener salt bridge
    We have a Kenmore water softener about 14-18 mo. Old. For at least 5 mo. I have had a recurring salt bridge. I break it up as per manual instructions, and the salt level goes down about 1/2 inch before the salt bridge recurs. There is no odor, no discoloration, just a water softener that doesn't do its job. I can't keep breaking this bridge up again and again forever, I can expect to live only about 20 more years. Can anyone help?
    markknapp61 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2009, 12:52 PM

Hi,
    Let's first start on where is the softener located?
    If it is close to any heat source this could be your problem as all sears units are dry storage ( leaves a little water in the tank). The unit fills the salt tank with cold water and can create condensation if too close to lets say a water heater or clothes dryer.
    Do not shove any thing down into the salt, the easiest way to break a bridge is with warm water, about a gallon or so trickled over the salt will do.
    If your softener is located near a heat source you will have to relocate the unit and this will stop your problem.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2009, 08:42 PM

I have found it is better to use rock salt instead of the pillow type salt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Culligan water softener [ 1 Answers ]

I have a culligan water softener model mark 5. when I manually recharge it it works great, when it is on auto, it doesn't seem to work. The time of day always reads correctly, so it seems the clock is working. What does the automatic part of it do and how does it work? Thank you much

Water Softener Location [ 8 Answers ]

I am looking to do the plumbing for a water softener. The primary artery of the plumbing is a 1" copper pipe... the issue I am having with the location of the softener is that I would need to run about 10 ft of piping tapped into the main artery just to get the unsoftened water to the softener and...

Water softener sanitization [ 1 Answers ]

I have an opportunity to get a culligan mark 10 water softener from a friend. It has not been in use for a couple of years and has standing water present in both the brine tank and the resin chamber. I know I can get the brine tank cleaned and sanitized. The concern I have is the resin...

Water Softener for whole house [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, The plumbing set up in my house does not have a loop for a softener. So from what I have been told I would have to have softened water running throughout my house, kitchen included. (unless I spend a fortune to get plumbing redone) Is this a bad idea? Can anyone give me any advice...

View more questions Search