Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xglamorousx Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 03:55 PM
    Medication getting in the way?
    I've been taking some anxiety medication and its been really hard for me to reach my peak in bed. Its getting very frustrating to my boyfriend & myself. Usually I enjoy sex more than my boyfriend, and am practically begging for it.. but lately I think I'm just having sex out of habit, I find my boyfriend very sexy and tempting but I don't knoww hat my problem is.. I don't know what to do!! :mad:
    shatteredsoul Posts: 423, Reputation: 130

May 14, 2007, 04:20 PM
    Anxiety medication can and will affect your sex drive. It seems like you are really young and maybe there is another alternative to taking them. I know that side effects can be different for everyone, but you are already having a problem. I don't know what caused you to begin taking them in the first place, and I am not a doctor, but I do think maybe you should do some research. My sister has been on anxiety medication and she thought it messed up her brain somehow. She read a book that gives great detail of all the side effects and she got really scared to keep taking them. I think she would rather be anxious than have her not feel like herself. I don't know if I can give you any answers because I don't want to cause you any harm, but if you want to hear more about other things to help with anxiety, I can write more. As far as the meds you are on, you shouldn't stop taking them without consulting your doctor, stopping immediately can also have detrimental effects. The bottom line is, they are meant to stop some of the feelings you are having. Maybe these feelings are intertwined with how you achieve your peak. You seem to be a beautiful girl who has a good relationship, does the relationship suffer in other ways because of what you are taking?

May 14, 2007, 05:43 PM
    Thanks for the compliment.. I have ocd, bipolar/manic depression, and anxiety. I have a great relationship. I'm just worried that it's the end of a great sex life we've achieved. I am a very physcial sexual person. I enjoy it sometimes 3 times a day. My boyfriend won't stop until I peak, but my sensitivity has changed since I've started taking the medication. When I go back to the doctor I'm going to complain about it but for right now I feel like a dried up old woman who can't orgasm. The medication has other side effects that my boyfriend doesn't seem to enjoy like I get dizzy, I still suffer from anxiety attacks and my appetite has changed dramatically. He has said a couple times that he hates me on this medicine. He doesn't want me to stop taking it but he wants me to get better.. maybe by taking something else. Oie.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2007, 11:35 PM
    I suggest it is just the medication's side effects.

The purpose of anti-anxiety medication is to "calm" you down human sexual response is almost always an excited state. The effects you describe make me think you need a change in medication real soon! See your doctor and tell them that it affects your sexual response and causes dizziness this could mean blood-pressure related problems-get it checked!

Cheers!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 08:14 AM
    I agree, speak with your doctor. Perhaps there is a different regiment of medications that will control your problems and not have the same side effects.

May 15, 2007, 09:20 PM
    Thanks I'm going to the doctor on Thursday, ill make sure to mention it!
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2007, 09:22 PM
    Good for you dear. You may wish to ask whether you really need the medication full stop. Is this something that you could treat with counselling-therapy? You have been diagnosed with many issues-I wonder how many of them are perhaps manageable without medication?

Best wishes.
    PurpleLagoon Posts: 42, Reputation: 5

May 16, 2007, 07:32 AM
    Lexapro, presribed for what you have, has the same effect, male or female. It's not like it really affects your sex drive, you just almost never think about it anymore. Some people will go off the med for a day or two so that they can enjoy the normal sexual urges or feelings, but don't do this without your dr's advice of course.
    Skeptik Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2012, 12:36 PM
    I AM a doctor.
    If you are being given a specific serotonin re-uptake inhibitor antidepressant (sometimes used for anxiety, also) this delayed orgasm is a well-recognised side effect. Masturbation or sex is like the long march to China and nothing great when you actually get there, either.
    This effect is useful for males with premature ejaculation, by the way !
    Best to discuss with the prescriber, first confirming that it is an SSRI you are being given.
    Alternative medication might be better.
    Cyproheptidine can reverse the effect for an hour or two, if you really, really need the SSRI - but this needs expert assessment from the prescriber.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Qd All medication [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know anything about the medication QD All?

How to get off medication [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to find out how to taper off Wellbutrin medication.

Medication [ 3 Answers ]

Information about QD ALL which was prescribed for allergies.:D

What is the name of this medication? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a small, rectangular shaped pill, light orange, with a v shape at the bottom. I was told it is a muscle relaxant. Thank you for your assistance.

Medication [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering , according to Michigan law, can an intern prescribe meds?

View more questions Search