Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrcmstr Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Guardianship of nephews and niece.
    This is kind of a complicated long story. I have 1 niece (4) and 2
    Nephews (6 & 9) that have lived with both my Brother and their Mother (never
    Married) since birth. They live in Oregon and I live in California.
    Recently my Brother was arrested for domestic abuse toward his girlfriend
    (the Mother), although I believe she was the abuser and he was
    Defending himself, but that will have to be decided in court I guess. The home
    Is disgustingly dirty with limited food in the kitchen. The children
    Have no structure or discipline. I'm not even sure how often they bath or
    Brush their teeth. The bedding is dirty and most beds smell of urine. I
    Have witnessed the girlfriend physically abusing my Brother in the
    Past. She now has a restraining order, my Brother is not allowed to
    Communicate with her or the children. I have been advised to not communicate
    With her. I contacted their local CPS, they state the incident will most
    Likely be reported to them eventually, but may take some time. I want
    To be aware of my rights as their Aunty (Family) to be able to be granted guardianship or adopt them if possible? I am a single Mother with 2 children of my own and a
    Limited income and would like to know expenses and the process for
    Adoption or guardianship? The possibility? Is there financial
    Assistance if granted? I just want to keep them out of "the system"
    (with Family) and provided with a better living situation /
    Environment. I offered to take the kids the day after the incident, but I don't
    Believe the Mother will agree because she states she can't be away from
    Her children. She is a bar tender with no car or driver's license due to
    A previous drunk driving accident. My Niece has also had a near death
    Experience from drowning in the bath tub when she was approx 1 years
    Old due to the Mother's lack of attention. These are just minor incidents to give some of the big picture.

Any assistance and / or referrals are very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time
    whiteladybug2002 Posts: 235, Reputation: 36

May 14, 2007, 02:56 PM
    I know that you have to prove all this stuff and then the court has to decide if it is enough! IT is hard to get it done, unless she does something horrible and harms the children... in most states.

I have a niece in a bad home too and am considering trying to do the same. My lawyer feels I have a good case, but what helps me is that my niece has bad teeth and the mother has not took her to the dentist. If there is any medical or dental neglect, it helps you.

It is sad that children have to grow up in these types of environments!

Good Luck and God Loves You!

***My lawyer also suggested taking foster parenting classes, in case my niece was put in the system it would help me get first dibs.
    mrcmstr Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 03:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteladybug2002
    I know that you have to prove all this stuff and then the court has to decide if it is enough! IT is hard to get it done, unless she does something horrible and harms the children..........in most states.

I have a neice in a bad home too and am considering trying to do the same. My lawyer feels I have a good case, but what helps me is that my neice has bad teeth and the mother has not took her to the dentist. If there is any medical or dental neglect, it helps you.

It is sad that children have to grow up in these types of environments!!

Good Luck and God Loves You!!

***My lawyer also suggested taking foster parenting classes, in case my neice was put in the system it would help me get first dibs.

Thank you for your help... and, it does help. I have been searching all over for answers, making phone calls... it is nice to actually get a response of some kind. God bless.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Guardianship [ 4 Answers ]

My mom is trying to get temp. guardianship of my nieces and nephew. But, doesn't know where to start or what to do. I need help.

Guardianship [ 2 Answers ]

I recently received a consent of guardianship form stating that my ex-wife is seeking guardianship for my 18 year old son. He lives in a home for disabled children. The consent form does not show that it has been filed through the court system. My question is: "Is this the proper way of seeking...

Guardianship of adult [ 1 Answers ]

I have been taking care of an adult for the past 10 years that was in a car accident and has had brain injury. She is sometimes in a child like state of a 7 year old and is now 36 and I would like to know what I can do to have legal guardianship to protect her from her former abusive family.

Guardianship question [ 2 Answers ]

I live in California and have guardianship of my 15 year old granddaughter. My husband and I have had her for most of her life. A family that we were very close to moved to Colorado. Our granddaughter has visited them several times and there daughter has come to visit here. I recently found...

Guardianship questions [ 6 Answers ]

My niece is 14 yrs old and has lived with her grandmother (her mother's mom) up until last year or maybe the year before. Her mother abandoned her and her father (my brother) wasn't able to take her in until just recently. My mother has also taken her from time to time. Now my brother can't...

View more questions Search