Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    groves05 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Itchy Ears
    My dog itches here ears all the time. One day I stuck a Q-tip in there to see what was going on and a black smelly build up was in there what was it?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2007, 04:16 PM
    Please take your dog to the vet for an ear examination. It may simply be wax build up from not cleaning his ears regularly, it could be an infection, it could be ear mites. The vet will be able to tell what exactly is going on and treat it. If this has been going on for a while, please do not wait. Make an appointment asap.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 07:55 PM
    Yes, let the vet look at them. It doesn't sound like ear mites to me. I think there is less of them around now because most of the surviving dogs are on heart worm medicine which kills the ear mites too.

Even when not infected, some dogs still produce large amount of ear wax that has to be cleaned frequently. That includes our Aster and her younger half sister, Princess. Princess, as dog guide school breeding stock, had the attention of some of the top veterinarians in the country, and all they could do was say keep them clean.

I use Que-Tips and vinegar and water in Asters ears.
    groves05 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 07:57 AM
    Thank you!
    dannysmom Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

May 15, 2007, 09:23 AM
    Yeast infection, you need to go to the vet
    AW805 Posts: 283, Reputation: 43

May 15, 2007, 11:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by groves05
    My dog itches here ears all the time. One day I stuck a Q-tip in there to see what was going on and a black smelly build up was in there what was it?
    Take your dog to the vet. Not only will he treat your dog but you'll be shown how clean your dogs ears and maintain them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Itchy ears [ 2 Answers ]

My little Chu.Dog has itchy ears and nothing seems to help

Red itchy ears but not ear mites [ 4 Answers ]

I have a red bone coon/ grey hound pup. I have taken her to the vet and got medicine but it did not help at all. My pup has a left red itchy ear but it is not ear mites. He gave me a medicine for yeast and infection but it is not working. Has any one ever had this problem? Please help before I...

Ears and flies [ 1 Answers ]

I have these flies in my ear and I can sometimes hear them buzzing, what should I do to get help with this?

Cat ears [ 1 Answers ]

Why might my kitten has scabs all over her ears?:confused:

View more questions Search