Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alvinbrig Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 01:21 PM
    Fire propert damage
    I've recently had a garage fire and it was determined not arson and accidental. Not actual determination of the cause. I've lost quite a bit of property in this fire and didn't have rental insurance- ignorant me- never thought about it... nevertheless, in my rental contract nothing is indicated that I needed any insurance for loss of any kind. Are the owners responsible for any compensation? Long beach, California.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2007, 01:27 PM
    If you can prove they had faulty wiring and this was the cause, maybe. But in general no, more landlords do not give insurance of each unit to the tenants, it's up to you to ask if your rental unit is insured and if not, get insurance.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 01:39 PM
    Hello al:

No, they covered the building. You were supposted to cover the contents.

excon
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

May 14, 2007, 01:44 PM
    Most landlords get buildings cover, and cover for anything in the place that they own, such as white goods and furniture. Anything other than that would be your responsibility to insure.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

May 14, 2007, 05:41 PM
    Renter's insurance on your contents, additional living expenses if can't live there due to the fire and to give you liability insurance and med pay insurance for you guests if they are injuried is really always a good idea. Also, if you rent in a multi family dwelling, you could be forced out by fire, smoke damage caused by an adjacent or downstairs unit and would need another place to live, thus the additional living expense coverage provided by a renter's policy is crucial to most people. But your question dealt with possible compensation from the owner's of the property - my answer is probably not unless it could somehow be determined the owners were negligent. On the other hand, if they can prove you were negligent, they may have recouse against you and most all renters policies contain "fire legal liability" coverage that would offer you coverage in the event you were proven negligent. Also would offer you cover for legal defense costs.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 14, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Your landlord will not tell you or care if you have renters insurance, that is something that all renters are just suppose to know, plus of course it covers your liablity if someone is on the property and get hurts.

But no the landlord is not liable to pay you anything.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 14, 2007, 07:51 PM
    Your only hope is that the FD identifies the source of the fire as another person or negligent maintenance.
    shellyharper Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2007, 10:50 PM
    My renters children caused a fire and didn't have renters insurance. The damage is substantial to the property, now I fear the reprocussions of being dropped by my insurance company when the damage is repaired. I have one other rental and my personal home and autos with this same company. Would it be beneficial to look for other coverage and switch before the claim takes place?
    shellyharper Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2007, 10:52 PM
    My renters children caused a fire and did not have insurance, will my insurance company go after them for damages, and if so how successful is this practice?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2007, 07:16 AM
    Hello shelly:

It's not a good idea to piggyback on someone else's question. Yours needs all the exposure it can get. Maybe on of the moderators will move it.

It certainly might be wise to shop for insurance. However, if you switch BEFORE you make the claim, the new company won't cover you. If you want to get paid, you need to make a claim on the old company and keep your policy in force until the claim is paid.

I don't know if they'll drop you, and I don't know if they'll go after your tenant. They certainly might. But, that's got nothing to do with you. How successful are they?? Pretty damn successful!!

However, instead of the insurance company suing the tenant, why don't YOU sue them?? I'm sure this problem has (or is going to) cost you MORE than the insurance company is going to reimburse you. Certainly, you have a deductible. I'll bet it's at least $1,000.

You're also confused about renters insurance. It wouldn't have helped YOU even if they DID have it. It would only have covered THEIR things - NOT your building.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Propert taxes [ 3 Answers ]

How does refinancing affect my property taxes?

Damage on my car. [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a cottage that has a parking space and garage in the back of the lot. I have two cars and I usually park one in my parking space and one in the street. About one month ago, the weather was really windy. My neighbor's garage door lock somehow came undone and the garage doors were...

Fire Damage to House [ 5 Answers ]

An apartment building housing 3 families caught on fire next door to a house that I own and collapsed and burned to the ground. According to the final fire report, the cause of the fire cannot be determined. There was extensive damage to my house, and it is considered a total loss. The owner of...

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

Fire damage at rental property [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a fire in my apartment. I was told by the owner of the property that their insurance company is going to sue me for repayment of the damages. What are my rights as a tenant? Can they really sue me?

View more questions Search