Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mardawn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 09:06 AM
    Critical Thinking Fallacies
    We can recognize that athlete participated in sports must be given a special consideration within our grading system, or we can let the university sink into athletic oblivion. What type of fallacy is this?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 09:21 AM
    That is such an interesting and original question!

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/issues...ies-70290.html

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/issues...ing-32849.html
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 17, 2007, 11:54 AM
    By the way, care to guess which US conference has the most participants in intercollegiate athletics in the US?

Answer - the Ivy League.

A clear example of the fallacy of the argument.
    GIGIKENNEDY Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jun 10, 2007, 11:50 AM
    We can recognize that athlete participated in sports must be given a special consideration within our grading system, or we can let the university sink into athletic oblivion. What type of fallacy is this?
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Gigi,
    Reading comprehension is in serious decline. Discuss.
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2007, 01:12 PM
    You mean the question that was asked and answered in this very thread? :rolleyes:

Look at all your posts on this site:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/search...archid=1416076

The same question all the time. It's called spamming a site.
    kpmoxley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2007, 06:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGIKENNEDY
    False Dilemma
    fleshracingchick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2007, 09:54 PM
    It takes someone with a really big heart to give to our charity, and you seem like someone who cares more than most. What kind of fallacy is this?
    tommie sykes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2007, 08:32 PM
    1. It takes someone with a really big heart to give to our charity, and you seem like someone who cares more than most.

2. On a radio ad: “Have you been fatigued, irritable, moody? If these symptoms are ignored, you might become depressed or even suicidal! Ward off the blues by taking a pill proven to cheer you up. Millions of people have, and they're glad they did!”

3. From a study group member: “I just don't get it. One minute she says she's coming, and then the next, she calls to cancel. I wonder if we can trust that the articles she submitted are what we need!”

4. You're going out with Carron? Well, she's a nice person, but I hear her last relationship was a wreck! I'd be careful if I were you.

5. About an already-attractive home interior: “I don't know why we started this home renovation if we're only doing two of the rooms. Either way, it won't look right unless we redo the entire house.”

6. Stomachache or not, how could you not eat your dinner after I spent all that time making it!

7. I don't care if she is the top psychiatrist in the state! Her theory on sibling rivalry is extreme. How can we believe anything she says if she subscribes to theories of that nature?

8. From one politician about another: “He's a two-faced, liberal, anti-family, anti-values idealist!”

9. My friend, who goes to college in another state, said girls from that sorority are mean. That girl we just met, Tracy, is from the same sorority, so I don't trust her.

10. From a teenager confronted by his parent about breaking curfew: “Why do we have to keep harping on this curfew thing? Let's talk about that A grade I'm getting in algebra.”

11. From one mom to another: “I can't believe Shelia lets her kids watch that garbage! I always knew she wasn't very strict. Now our kids will be over there watching that junk, too!”

12. From a conspiracy theorist: “Come on, everyone knows that the government has lied to us in the past. This case isn't any different.”

13. If it weren't for the president's environmental policy, we wouldn't be dealing with these environmental catastrophes.

14. It's disgraceful that a member of the Elks Lodge would go out to fast food restaurants every night. The Elks believe in family values, including home-cooked meals.

15. Sure, I've heard that it's better to not eat cheeseburgers every day, but it's extra protein and protein is good for you.

Fallacy Type Fallacy Statement
    Ad hominem/genetic

Wishful thinking

“Argument” from popularity

Hasty generalizing

“Argument” from outrage

Straw man

Post hoc

Red herring/smokescreen

Group think

Scare tactics

Poisoning the well

Apple polishing

Guilt trip

Perfectionist fallacy

Inconsistency ad hominem
    tommie sykes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2007, 08:33 PM
    1. It takes someone with a really big heart to give to our charity, and you seem like someone who cares more than most.

2. On a radio ad: “Have you been fatigued, irritable, moody? If these symptoms are ignored, you might become depressed or even suicidal! Ward off the blues by taking a pill proven to cheer you up. Millions of people have, and they’re glad they did!”

3. From a study group member: “I just don’t get it. One minute she says she’s coming, and then the next, she calls to cancel. I wonder if we can trust that the articles she submitted are what we need!”

4. You’re going out with Carron? Well, she’s a nice person, but I hear her last relationship was a wreck! I’d be careful if I were you.

5. About an already-attractive home interior: “I don’t know why we started this home renovation if we’re only doing two of the rooms. Either way, it won’t look right unless we redo the entire house.”

6. Stomachache or not, how could you not eat your dinner after I spent all that time making it!

7. I don’t care if she is the top psychiatrist in the state! Her theory on sibling rivalry is extreme. How can we believe anything she says if she subscribes to theories of that nature?

8. From one politician about another: “He’s a two-faced, liberal, anti-family, anti-values idealist!”

9. My friend, who goes to college in another state, said girls from that sorority are mean. That girl we just met, Tracy, is from the same sorority, so I don’t trust her.

10. From a teenager confronted by his parent about breaking curfew: “Why do we have to keep harping on this curfew thing? Let’s talk about that A grade I’m getting in algebra.”

11. From one mom to another: “I can’t believe Shelia lets her kids watch that garbage! I always knew she wasn’t very strict. Now our kids will be over there watching that junk, too!”

12. From a conspiracy theorist: “Come on, everyone knows that the government has lied to us in the past. This case isn’t any different.”

13. If it weren’t for the president’s environmental policy, we wouldn’t be dealing with these environmental catastrophes.

14. It’s disgraceful that a member of the Elks Lodge would go out to fast food restaurants every night. The Elks believe in family values, including home-cooked meals.

15. Sure, I’ve heard that it’s better to not eat cheeseburgers every day, but it’s extra protein and protein is good for you.

Fallacy Type Fallacy Statement
    Ad hominem/genetic

Wishful thinking

Hasty generalizing

“Argument” from outrage

Straw man

Post hoc

Red herring/smokescreen

Group think

Scare tactics

Poisoning the well

Apple polishing

Guilt trip

Perfectionist fallacy

Inconsistency ad hominem
    jennynguyen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2007, 08:49 PM
    Comment on tommie sykes's post
    I find this answer is helpful
    swyft_357 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Wishful thinking

Hasty generalizing

“Argument” from outrage

Straw man

Post hoc

Red herring/smokescreen

Group think

Scare tactics

Poisoning the well

Apple polishing

Guilt trip

Perfectionist fallacy

Inconsistency ad hominem
    kemzo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 09:44 PM
    You’re going out with Carron? Well, she’s a nice person, but I hear her last relationship was a wreck! I’d be careful if I were you. What type of fallacies does this sentence falls
    old school Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2008, 08:25 PM
    That would be scare tactics because she is scurring her about relationship...
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2008, 06:41 AM
    It's the type of fallacy supported by everyone who tunes into sports.
    afolabibobo1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 08:51 PM
    It’s disgraceful that a member of the Elks Lodge would go out to fast food restaurants every night. The Elks believe in family values, including home-cooked meals. What kind of fallacy is this
    whitehead48 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 09:37 AM
    Which fallacy falls under the following statement? "It takes someone with a really big heart to give to our charity, and you seem like someone who cares more than most."

Feb 23, 2008, 09:52 AM
    "It takes someone with a really big heart to give to our charity, and you seem like someone who cares more than most." Which fallacy is this?

Feb 23, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Which fallacy is this? "It takes someone with a really big heart to give to our charity, and you seem like someone who cares more than most."
    lshannon3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2008, 09:13 PM
    It take someone with a really big heart to give to our charity, and you seem like someone who cares more than most.
    What type of fallacy statement is this?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Which Fallacies [ 12 Answers ]

We can recognize that athletes that participate in sports must be given special consideration within our grading system, or we can let the university sink into athletic oblivion.

Critical Thinking 205 [ 2 Answers ]

What is a fallacy in a newspaper editorial ?

Critical thinking [ 12 Answers ]

What type of fallacy is this statement? We can recognize that athletes that participate in sports must be given special consideration within our grading system, or we can let the university sink into athletic oblivion. Thank you, Evelyn

How to prepare for GMAT Critical Thinking Section [ 0 Answers ]

I am preparing for GMAT. I am taking all the help from the internet. But the Critica Thinking Section is confusing me. Recently, I have started learning logic which teaches categorical syllogisms but the type of questions I see in this subject are completely different from what they ask in the...

View more questions Search