Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ivaneivane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 06:31 AM
    Crate Training for Dogs
    I just got a 7 month old Scottish Terrier on Saturday. Today's Monday, and I have to go to school. I was planning on leaving it in a crate by itself today. Am I making a mistake? Are there any tips to make this easier on my dog?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 07:56 AM
    It would be much better if you can give it a mid day break. I will post more when I get back.
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 08:36 PM
    Much of how well this works will depend on his previous experience and how long you leave him. Plus, dogs are individuals and some will accept things fine and others not. One thing that can ease living in a crate is a Kong filled with peanut butter. The kibble balls and cubes may be good too.

There are some things you can do. Feed him in the crate. Make sure he has toys. It is better to introduce an older dog to the crate gradually, but it sounds like you had little chance for that. I have suddenly introduced several dogs to the crate. I certainly wasn't about to leave a strange dog loose in my house over night or while I was at work.
    LuvMyMaltipoo Posts: 281, Reputation: 39

May 14, 2007, 08:40 PM
    Labman is right, like he is the majority of the time.

People tell me all the time how crate training is wrong. Well, I have had 2 dogs in my life (1 wasn't crate trained, the other is now almost fully crate trained). I am very happy with the results crate training has given me. My puppy loves her crate! Dogs who are left at home without a crate get into way too much stuff, not only is it inconvenient for you... but it could also be dangerous.

Good luck with your new pup... I hope everything goes well. And you have found the perfect site for a new pet owner, everyone here is extremely helpful!
    whiteladybug2002 Posts: 235, Reputation: 36

May 14, 2007, 08:43 PM
    I have learned that placing a dog in a crate is better on my door frames than the bathroom. Lol

I hate putting my dog in the crate too, but it is better than other options!

Good Luck and God Loves You!
    AW805 Posts: 283, Reputation: 43

May 14, 2007, 10:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Much of how well this works will depend on his previous experience and how long you leave him. Plus, dogs are individuals and some will accept things fine and others not. One thing that can ease living in a crate is a Kong filled with peanut butter. The kibble balls and cubes may be good too.

There are some things you can do. Feed him in the crate. Make sure he has toys. It is better to introduce an older dog to the crate gradually, but it sounds like you had little chance for that. I have suddenly introduced several dogs to the crate. I certainly wasn't about to leave a strange dog loose in my house over night or while I was at work.

Also I would add: I think its best to put him a crate that is appropriate to his size. Don't move the crate from area to area, be consistent. Keep it comfortable - small pillow, blanket.

We keep the door to the crate open for our dog whenever we are home and he still hangs out in the there when he wants to nap... or to get away from everyone.
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 03:27 AM
    You might do better to skip the bedding at first. I doubt Scotties are as bad as Labs about chewing, but you may want to see what he is like. The biggest advantage of crates is giving the dog its own little den. Another important advantage is eliminating access to things a dog could shred and choke on the pieces.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Crate Training [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a Labrador puppy (7weeks) I am trying to crate train him but he has no issues crapping and peeing and then sleeping in it. Will he out grow this? What can Ido?

Crate training [ 2 Answers ]

My german shepherd can not seem to get the hint about crate training. She knows that outside is where she is supposed to do her business because at times she will go sit by the door to go out. She is 4 months old and soils her crate almost religiously... she will even sit and lay in her own...

Crate training? [ 1 Answers ]

Is crate training a good idea? Do I leave food and with the dog?

Crate training [ 6 Answers ]

My fiance' and I just got a mini-dachshund last Saturday. She is 13 weeks old and very tiny. She is absolutely adorable! Taking her "potty" has been pretty successful. I'm curious how to properly crate train her. I have read pointers on websites that recommened making her crate as peaceful of a...

Crate training [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, my friend has a 5 month-old min-pin, she got him from someone who got exasperated with trying to house-train him because he kept peeing and pooping in his crate. I told her to make sure he uses the bathroom before bed and all that and she has done that but he is still doing it. I thought I'd...

View more questions Search