Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Burd Posts: 60, Reputation: 3

May 14, 2007, 03:21 AM
    Allen keys?
    Is it possible to remove a screw that has an allen key slot, if the screw slot has worn away notches and the allen key can't turn the screw anymore as it can't grip it.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 05:15 AM
    Possible? Yes. Easy? Don't count on it. Start with a shot of spray lube. I prefer a silicone oil to WD-40. If it sticks out, hammer on it. If it is recessed, use a flat tipped punch. This will help loosen it and may deform the head enough that the Allen Wrench will then turn it. If not, grind a taper on the next larger size and try hammering it into the recess. You can try using a sharp punch sideways on the head to turn it. As a last resort, drill into it and try a screw extractor.

The old coot I once worked for called the acetylene torch the heat wrench. Heat it red hot and quench it. He also maintained there was no such thing as an easy out. He bad mouthed people that brought things into the shop with a broken off Easy Out in them.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 10:30 AM
    I like a penetrant like PB Blaster. WD is good.
    Easy Outs work, They are hard and brittle. Hard is good, cut into stripped screw.
    Brittle is bad. Will break if side force applied. Turning is key.
    A "T" handle would be better than not. If it works, you will thank me. If it breaks,
    You will curse me and the tool. Like above, Heat expands.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

May 14, 2007, 10:47 AM
    Are you sure that it is an Allen head screw, since you used the word slot, An Allen head has a hex in the head. Unless the head is recessed in a counterbored hole, see if you can get a bite on the outside of the head with a pair of vise grips. If you don't want the heat of a torch that might cause harm to the rest of the asembly, you might consider tack welding the Allen wrench into the bolt to keep it from spinning in the worn out hex.
    ThomasCKeat Posts: 157, Reputation: 12

May 17, 2007, 12:18 PM
    May not even be for a allen key, many screws now have special slots for specially designed tools. Torx,hex,phillips,torx&ball, just to name a few and don't forget it may be metric or standard in all types. Key here is to know what kind of tool is needed for what slot. I bet it is just a metric size

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Keys are stuck [ 3 Answers ]

For some reason a few the keys are not working on the keyboard. They are completely frozen. I hit the keys and nothing happens. Please help. Thank u!

I need the gen keys to... [ 1 Answers ]

I ask of how I will be able to decode my cell fone motorala v350 and I guess there is nothing crimal about this even I had a site which provided me all the gen keys but now I can not trace that site any more and a friend told me about this site which I may ask my questions and receive my answers...

Keys and visitors [ 5 Answers ]

I received a letter from my landlords lawyer warning me of eviction if I do not remedy a breach in the lease. The tenant downstairs claims my girlfriend is permanently occuping the apt. w/ me. The lease states 1 occupant, my girlfriend has a set of keys and spends a significant amount of time...

Weighted keys? [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone could explain to me what are weighted keys and non weighted keys on a keyboard. Thanks.

Poems Of Edgar Allen Poe [ 1 Answers ]

undefined I HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED BY JOHN B. ALDEN, PUBLISHER, NEW YORK. 1883. THE TITLE IS POEMS OF EDGAR ALLEN POE. With memoir. I cannot find any information on this book.

View more questions Search