Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joe gadd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2007, 09:17 PM
    MTD lawn tractor deck is cockeyed and shredding belts.
    How do I fix a 1999 MTD Lawn Tractor Deck model “F” that is uneven and shreds belts?

The deck lift handle no longer smoothly raises and lowers. It seems to be hitting something. The deck on the deck left hand side does not lower all the way. On the opposite side it goes down nearly touching the ground. Ergo, the deck is imbalanced on by about 20 degrees or, when down, positioned at about 160 degrees.

This novice is on fixed income and must fix myself. I have the MTD parts manual, but no clues on the defect.

Thank you for any advice or direction.
    Joe
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

May 15, 2007, 03:11 PM
    I had an experience similar with a deck that had a cable lift system and the nut had worked lose on th ened of the cable. Not sure if your is cable or not, but would be easy to check.

Morrowrj
    joe gadd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2007, 07:12 PM
    Thank you. Tried it. My nut is OK.
    Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 20, 2007, 09:06 PM
    Joe, glad your nut is OK. We were worried. Your deck hangs from several points and MTD decks use levers, not cables. I think a cotter pin came out of the right side so look for a round shaft bent at a 90 degree angle with a cotter pin hole through the wear spot. This hanger rod may be laying flat on the top of the deck or it could be dangling from the tractor frame, all depends which pin came out. Obviously lower you deck all the way to get a good look.
    dirkmyster Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 10:31 AM
    Ballengerb 1 has the right answer, just fixed a lawn chief. Pin popped and rod slid out pain in the butt to fix by yourself, block and tackle works so you can get under it. Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MTD Lawn Tractor [ 8 Answers ]

Greetings, I have a 1991 MTD lawn tractor 18hp w/46" deck, 6 speed, low and high range. Over the past year 1st through 4th won't move tractor forward and I have to use position 5 or 6. Is this a problem with the trans or a drive belt problem? The only belts that have ever been changed are the deck...

Mtd lawn tractor [ 6 Answers ]

I recently bought a used mtd lawn tractor, 38" deck, 7 speed manual ,12 hp I/c briggs engine. The tractor needs a new transmission belt. Because I don't have an owners manual or parts list, I don't know which belt to order. Does anyone know what belt I need?

MTD lawn tractor won't move [ 1 Answers ]

MTD Lawn tractor 1994 model 134M679G062. Won't move forward or reverse. Thought it was a broken belt, but both front and rear drive belts are intact. Seems like maybe a spring came loose or broke??

Mtd lawn tractor [ 3 Answers ]

I have an MTD lawn tractor seems to act like it is sliping if forward gear I have repaced the belt. Does not do this in reverse. Could it be the transmission is that rebuildable?

MTD lawn tractor will not start [ 4 Answers ]

I had just finished mowing my lawn. The tractor sat in the lawn for about an hour. When I returned, it would not turn over. It makes a small click noise then nothing. I charged the batter over night, same result in the morning. It has a Briggs 14.5 HP engine. Where do I start? Thanks.

View more questions Search