Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Baybee_Juelz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2007, 01:48 PM
    Belly button piercing, infected or not?
    I got my belly button pierced about 3 weeks ago now and in the last few days it's developed a red rash ring right round my belly button just underneath my top bar. Does this mean it's infected? Any tips on clearing it up because it kind of burns lol.
    Alicia B Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2007, 02:17 PM
    Have a doctor look at this. I once had my belly button pierced. I ended up with a severe cellulitis infection. It started to be a little red around the top, within a day or two my entire abdomen was red, hot, swollen and I was in excruciating pain. A doctor had to remove the ring and I was on loads of antibiotics for a while. The pain was worse than that of child birth. Good Luck.;)
    prncss9835 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2007, 08:59 PM
    Makee shuree yerr cleaning it good. If u have H2O ocean(or something like that) clean it with that. If not take the ring out, clean yerr skin and the ring seperatly with antibiotic soap && if yerr scared that it mite hurt going back in, put neosporine on the ring, it will slide rite in. do that for a couple of days && it should get better. If not, deff go see a doctor.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 09:05 PM
    The OP will probably never read this thread, but I will post a comment anyway, in case anyone else has a question of this nature.

Do not clean it with h2ocean. This is a saline solution and will irritate the piercing further. A rash is sort of raw, can you imagine putting salt water into it? Ouch.

Like Alicia B said above, go see your doctor. If it is infected you will need antibiotics. In the mean time, use some hydrocortisone cream on it to tame the rash a little bit. Other than that, keep cleaning it with antibacterial soap, not more than once a day.
    PerfectTactics Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2010, 08:04 PM
    I got my belly button pierced a few weeks ago(I have 2 piercings, the top and bottom done), googled about the piercing being red (because my top one is bad, the bottom is only slightly red) and this page came up.

I just want to say for anyone who comes here for future reference, redness is NORMAL. Also, nauticalstar420 lied. Using Saline Solution is the best thing you can do for it. Salt hurts but it cleans out wounds... that's why it hurts. Where you get your piercing done usually recommends using Saline Solution to clean it anyway. They'll also commonly say not to go swimming in the pool or ocean. It's true Chlorine and Saltwater from the ocean can clean out your wound (piercing), but just as easily the pool could also have a chemical that irritates your body (or be under or over shocked), or that ocean has too much bacteria that negatively affects the healing process. Your body just may not like something. So instead of telling you to take that risk of having something happen, they'll tell you to stay away from such bodies of water. Pretty obvious if you think about it. Also, don't take out your piercing before the first 6 weeks and don't put neosporine in like prncss9835 said. Your navel is a direct source to your bloodstream and such, and if you did a little research on that you'd find neosporine is NOT a thing to be using for a cleaner since it's way too harsh of chemicals for majority of people.

If you have anything like Alicia B, THEN you're probably infected, or just severely allergic to the metal or something.
    bikerchick01 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2011, 09:35 PM
    My belly where its pierced is read and its hard under it. Does anyone have any answers. Its like a rock under my skin around the piercing. Everyone is telling me it could be scar tissue but I need more advice. I've been on antibiotics for a bladder infection. I kind of thought that should help keep infection away. And nothing is leaking out of it. I need advice
    Sheilla Tayler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2011, 09:53 PM
    Don't worry about it too much it ussually means your body is just developing to it just make sure your cleaning it about twice a day and don't touch it with dirty hands if yellow or green puss comes out you should see a doctor or the person who pierced it. If only white puss comes out don't woory about it just keep it VERY clean :)
    malia03 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2011, 05:05 PM
    Hey I just got my bellybutton pierced about three weeks ago and right now it's a little itchy... I have yet the get and scabbing or rednesss just a little when I move it around. Is the itch normal?
    kaylamgrady Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2011, 04:10 PM
    Hello , I just got my belly button pierced only 5 days ago and just yesterday it became very red , its burns , and were my bar would be under the skin it is hard and a little further out of that spot . And I've also developed tiny bums , like one ore two about an inch from the piercing . I was first cleaning it every day , 3 - 6 times a day with H20 ocean spray , then when this happened I used alcohol and hydroogen proxide . That did not help . Then I found out boling saltwater , cooling it , then putting on the piercing would help . I don't know what to do , it's painful but I do not want to take it out , help ?
    aldal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2011, 08:51 AM
    Does bactroban help with belly piercings? My piercing is really red at the top part and the bottom part... I have been cleaning it with savlon and salt water and it was fine until I went out and some retard poked me really hard in the belly and it went really red and I don't know what to do... please help!
    LoraHowells Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2011, 03:49 PM
    I got my bellybutton pierced about 4 weeks ago and it is really red and itchy. I weren't sure if this was an infection or just healing. I clean it with sea salt in boiled water using a cotton bud and it is healing. So try it.
    kb425 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2012, 10:03 PM
    I got my belly button pierced 5 days ago. It was sore for the first couple days and red around the top hole. The pain has gone away but it is still pretty red. Is that normal ? I'm really scared it might be infected or my body is rejecting it. HELP PLEASE!
    SeraHeartstomp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2012, 12:47 PM
    When I pierced my belly button myself (Yes, I used a 14 gauge HOLLOW needles that was already sterile, wore gloves, and had sterile clamps & did it in a clean place) It is red around the two holes, and what I've been reading it is just irritation, infection, or just the healing process. I am not sure. But, it is itchy at times & I have been cleaning it with warm salt water and I haven't used Dial yet. I am just wondering.. Infection, irritation, or healing process? If it is infection; how do I get rid of it without going to a doctor or taking it out? If it is irritation, how do I get it to chill out, lol? & If it is the healing process how long does it usually take before it tones down the red? Please, do not give me your opinion on it. You could swear up and down that you are a professional body piercer but I wouldn't believe you, sorry. Anyone can lie. Email me, please? If you are for sure, though! [email protected]
    -Sera
    HindM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2012, 04:47 AM
    I pierced my belly button about a weak and few days now, it hurts when I move and even when its red. I have no puss. It hurts but not so so much but it hurts. I always clean it. What should I do ? Please HELP
    ohhiguys Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2012, 07:35 PM
    Hey so I just got my belly pierced a couple days ago and it's a little red on the top is it normal ?
    Stephanieejane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2012, 02:08 PM
    I had my bellybutton pierced yesterday and it's a little bit sore, it feels like a tiny pinch when I sit down and the bar moves up, it starts getting a little more sore when I clean it, also I'm cleaning it twice a day with antibacterial soap saltwater and savlon spray, I've washed my hand every time before I touched it, and I've followed everything my piercer said, is it still normal for it to be a little sore?
    browneyedbaby96 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2012, 04:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanieejane View Post
    i had my bellybutton pierced yesterday and its a little bit sore, it feels like a tiny pinch when i sit down and the bar moves up, it starts getting a little more sore when i clean it, also im cleaning it twice a day with antibacterial soap saltwater and savlon spray, ive washed my hand every time before i touched it, and ive followed everything my piercer said, is it still normal for it to be a little sore?
    Of course its going to be a little sore still, your body is still trying to get used to the foreign object in it. Give it a couple of days. When I got my belly button pierced it hurt for three days afterwards. (it probably didn't help that I worked out on the second day though (; ) but, you should be fine as long as you don't have brown or green pus coming out.
    asheyd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2012, 10:48 PM
    Its completely normal for it to be red. Saline isn't the best but it works your better off getting distilled water and sea salt ( non iodized) 1 tsp/ 16 oz distilled water. Clean it at least twice a day regularly and after showers especially. And if it starts to burn throughout the day its good to clean it again. Be nice to your piercing. Your clothing can irritate it so give it as much air as possible through out the day. DO NOT put neosporin or any antibiotic creams on it for it softens the skin around it and won't let it heal properally, it will built new tissue. If its infected really bad it will make it easier for your body to reject the piercing pushing it out of your skin ( which is painful). And as for swimming there is a patch called a tegaderm patch its clear and it goes right over your piercing. It seals out the water but be careful with it. Don't be rubbing up against things too much for it will come off. Just be sure to do a rinse with the seasalt and distilled water solution after. You can find the tegaderm patch in any walgreens or pharmacy usually. Hope this helped
    ca080371 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2012, 05:59 PM
    I got my naval pierced over a month ago, its still a little red, is that normal?
    FHS2015 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2012, 10:37 PM
    Hi, I got my belly button pierced 10 weeks ago and I noticed it has yellow and brown puss coming out of it but its only on the top and its kind of red. It also has this really hard thing under my skin. Does anyone know what it is? Or if its infected?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Possible infected belly button piercing [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! I had my belly button pierced Feb. 17 and have been cleaning like I'm supposed to. Some days are sorer than others when it gets bumped or when I bend over. I noticed today that it is a little red around the area but no puss or fluids. Does this mean it is getting infected or is it just a...

Is my belly button infected [ 5 Answers ]

I got my belly button pierced last year in October everything was going fine I was cleaning it regularly but now I changed it and it hurts when I touch what are the chances of it being infected. What should I do before it gets worse if it is infected

Piercing the belly button [ 20 Answers ]

HEY ALL Well i am new here and i wanted to know can i peirce my belly button myself?? If so how?? And is it kinda like peircing the ears Thank you very much

I think my belly button is infected [ 2 Answers ]

I got my belly botton pierced and it is red and hard and it hurts when ever I touch It plus pus comes out:( Is it infected?? :eek:

Belly Button Piercing [ 3 Answers ]

I have a belly button piercing for about 5 months now and it is taking a very long time to heel. I was told to use Mecca to help it heel but it has been discontinued, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

View more questions Search