Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tfoggoa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2005, 09:04 AM
    ABS Fiberglass Shower Drain Installation
    Hi, I've read some great posts on the forums but still can't fully answer my hopefully simple question.

I'm installing a fiberglass shower in my basement and picked up an ABS screw-in drain for it to connect to my abs drain pipe. The drain came with a rubber gasket, I'm wondering which side of the shower should the gasket go?

Should it be, from the top:

== drain cover ==
    == abs screw-in drain ==
    == rubber gasket ==
    == fiberglass shower ==
    == abs drain ==
    == pipe ==

Thanks for any replies.
    -Todd
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 21, 2005, 02:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tfoggoa
    Hi, I've read some great posts on the forums but still can't fully answer my hopefully simple question.

I'm installing a fiberglass shower in my basement and picked up an ABS screw-in drain for it to connect to my abs drain pipe. The drain came with a rubber gasket, I'm wondering which side of the shower should the gasket go?

Should it be, from the top:

== drain cover ==
    == abs screw-in drain ==
    == rubber gasket ==
    == fiberglass shower ==
    == abs drain ==
    == pipe ==
    Thanks for any replies.
    -Todd

Hi Todd,

If by "screw in drain" you mean a 2" threaded ABS drain it goes like this.
    Top of the shower base.
    ** strainer**
    ** Threaded drain with a small rope of plumbers putty or silicon jel under the lip of the drain.
    ** fiberglass shower**
    Bottom of the shower base.
    ** neoprene, (rubber) gasket**
    **fiber friction washer**
    ** Retaining nut**
    ** stub up from trap**
    If you're installing any thing else I'll need the name and model of the drain.
    Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fiberglass shower drain removal [ 1 Answers ]

All we wanted to do is change our drain from brass to chrome in our fiber glass shower and I'm afaid we have bitten off more than we can chew. The brass drain is glued in with a 2" piece of pvc pipe sticking up in the center. How can we remove the brass drain wtihout damaging the shower or going...

Shower Drain Installation [ 3 Answers ]

As part of a remodeling effort, we are having a tiled shower built in our guest bathroom. We had a plumber come out to run the water and drain lines. He installed the drain. Last night I noticed that the hole he cut in the plywood sub flooring is quite a bit larger than the drain, so that...

Installing a drain in a fiberglass shower [ 1 Answers ]

I’m in the process of installing a fiberglass shower unit in a new basement bathroom, but am somewhat stumped regarding how to attach the drain to the shower and then to the PVC pipe. The floor is concrete and I have 2” PVC rough in for the shower. Once I cut the PVC to the correct height, and...

Fiberglass shower drain leak [ 3 Answers ]

I have a fiberglass shower leak drain leak. It is caused by the fiberglass cracking around the drain. I need to confirm my process for fixing this problem. 1. Remove old drain. It is a metal with a nut on the bottom. Can't unscrew it because the drain is so loose that it turns in the drain...

Shower drain installation [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm installing a new shower base that came with a self caulking drain (has a rubber caulking ring that tightens round the 2" waste pipe). When the shower base is in position the drain is ever so slightly off center and I can't get the rubber ring over the waste pipe. The drain is set in...

View more questions Search