Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Elaine BD Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Capturing feral kittens
    We are trying to rid our neighborhood of stray cats. I have been trying to catch the kittens when they are 8-10 weeks old, to see if I can tame them enough to be adoptable for others. Anyone have any ideas to accomplish this? They are VERY fast! I've been feeding them, and hope to lead them into an enclosed outside room I have - thinking that I can then corner and grab them. Just the kittens, not the cats - as I know that will be dangerous.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2007, 08:54 AM
    Do you not have a cat sanctuary near that you can call they will do the catching and re homing.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

May 13, 2007, 09:40 AM
    You can buy a Collapsable Animal Trap at Harbor Freight Tools for $24.99, or at your local pet store. Put some tuna in the back of the trap and you will soon get the kitties, so you can take them to the Humane Society. Good luck.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 13, 2007, 10:38 AM
    A feral cat may very well not be able to be tamed. You also do not know what their health is. So be very careful in handling them. Wear gloves. Do you know for sure your Humane Society will accept the kittens? Also, if you do manage to capture the kittens, in a short time from now there will be another batc and another one, etc. Capturing the adult female is a whole different story.

Best of luck to you!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 13, 2007, 12:36 PM
    I still have scars on my hand from grabbing that little kitty last fall.
    It was in a trap and I was going to rescue and save it, somebody just forgot to tell the cat.

But yes, they make little animal traps, use some cat food as bait, fairly easy to do
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

May 15, 2007, 12:40 PM
    Live traps are indeed the easiest way. Call your Humane Society first-they may have some and will come set them out for you or let you borrow them. Do not try to get kittens out yourself! Take them, in the trap to Humane Society if possible and let them get them out. If that is not possible, please wear gloves! Cat Scratch Fever is a real disease and not fun at all-I worked with a veterinarian that had it!
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

May 20, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Get an old leather coat and some really thick work gloves. Feed the kitty then while it is eating drop the coat on it and wrap it. Lots of soft talking. Handle the kitty only with the gloves in case of biting or scratching. An old leather coat for your protection is a good idea too. A kitty carrier with warm blankets they they can hide in will give them security. As you feed them they will associate you with their food source and slowly come to accept you. Be patient and have a well-stocked first aid kit and make sure you have had all your shots too. Good luck.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Elaine BD
    We are trying to rid our neighborhood of stray cats. I have been trying to catch the kittens when they are 8-10 weeks old, to see if I can tame them enough to be adoptable for others. Anyone have any ideas to accomplish this? They are VERY fast! I've been feeding them, and hope to lead them into an enclosed outside room I have - thinking that I can then corner and grab them. Just the kittens, not the cats - as I know that will be dangerous.
    The city that I live in has several rescue groups that do this you may want to contavt one of those... usually a no- kill shelter... can get you in touch with them or a vets office. Good luck
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

May 25, 2007, 05:47 AM
    We had 2 ferral cats that were caught at around 10 weeks old and one was really soft as soon as we got her and the other a tortiseshell and white was not, however with time and patience she was tamed and became a greaat friend of mine, she used to sleep in my room :o ne day she decided to bring me a present I got int my bed one night t find a dead bird sitting their under my cover and a very pleased looking cat :) lol

She tamed up well but always preffered me to everybdy else, it was me that had to catch her to take to the vet (wasnt hard work )

We had live traps and put food in their and caught one of the cats the oother was caught with a towel and she bit straight into my mums finger and went all the way through it..

Cats carry many diseases in their mouth and can kill a person by biting or even have to have parts amputated so if you get bit g to the hospital for them to check and clean the wound up so it isn't infected...

Even as kittens they have a good bite on them when in fear, be careful and good luck :)

They do make excellent pets with time and patience and most ferral cats can be tamed with love and time :) even adult cats

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2x 16 week kittens [ 2 Answers ]

My youngest of 2 cats (sachi) was killed by a car on Friday, and my mum thought that she would cheer me up with 2 new 16 week kittens, one male one female, reluctantly I took them, they were obviously very nervous and quiet. They were infested with fleas which I have treated them both, and washed...

Capturing video from digital sony camcorder [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I recelently received this sony handycam dcr-hc26 digital mini cassette camcorder. Well you can transfer your video to the computer through a USB cable, I have installed the software that was included and my USB streaming works with the video playing on the computer live with picture and...

Capturing Lpt1 port [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! How can I captured my lpt1 port my operating system is windows xp pro...

Kittens [ 3 Answers ]

My two weeks old kitten has red pupils. Is that normal?

Feral cat [ 1 Answers ]

Cat you socialize a feral cat? To what extent can be social him. Any suggestions on how to do it? Thanks. Sharon [email protected]

View more questions Search