Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pregunta Posts: 169, Reputation: 3

May 13, 2007, 05:16 AM
    Keyboard Gone Loco
    All of a sudden out of the blue my keyboard started producing the following when I type the alphabet:

Abcdefgh51230n6*qrst4vwxyz

I can correct this only by pressing the "Fn" key as I type the error letters.
    Any idea what gives and how to fix it? By the way I tried restoring the computer to an earlier date but the computer won´t let me. It always says pick another date. It is a Sony Vaio laptop.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 13, 2007, 05:17 AM
    Take the Numlock off.
    bikerguy Posts: 87, Reputation: 13

May 13, 2007, 06:48 AM
    I think try another keyboard, they are very inexpensive and maybe you could just borrow one to eliminate the keyboard. Good luck!

Just asking scott please don't take offense!

May 13, 2007, 07:28 AM
    I'm afraid I will take offense. Did you not notice that this was a LAPTOP? On a laptop, there is no separate numeric keypad. So a series of keys serves as a numeric pad when the numlock is pressed.

I=5 J=1, K=2 etc.

Notice the alphabetical sequence Pregunta posted. Its clear that Numlock was set. And I am 100% confident that taking it off will restore the keyboard.

I do not take offense when corrected. I don't even take offense if someone disagrees with me. But this is a situation where I am an acknowledged expert in this area. The fact that my response was brief should have indicated I was sure of my answer. I wouldn't mind if you had simply questioned my response, but to give me a negative rating when you clearly weren't sure and obviously didn't have the knowledge to contradict me, is offensive.

But I will accept your apology.
    Pregunta Posts: 169, Reputation: 3

May 13, 2007, 12:02 PM
    ScottGem was right on the money. I had inadvertently depressed the num lk key. Thanks ScottGem.
    bikerguy Posts: 87, Reputation: 13

May 14, 2007, 07:15 AM
    Again sorry scott.. I stand corrected..

May 14, 2007, 07:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerguy
    Again sorry scott.. I stand corrected..
    Apology accepted. Like I said, if you hadn't given a negative comment, I wouldn't have gotten peeved. I would have been happy to explain why I felt that was the solution. In the future, be careful about using a negative cooment. It should only be used if you are absolutely sure the advice given was factually incorrect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I disable the laptop keyboard when adding an external keyboard [ 2 Answers ]

My laptop keyboard is screwed up - tried to add an external through a usb port - bad keys on laptop keyboard take priority over external keyboard - tried to uninstall laptop keyboard, but system requests reboot to finish - after reboot system "finds" laptop keyboard and reinstalls - any ideas?

Name this song , csi loco motives [ 2 Answers ]

CSI Loco Movives episode 710 . About half way in the episode . Where nick and warrick are gathering evidence , with the green jello :-). There is a song pretty dark music . What I can hear . The lyrics sounds like Hallelujah jesus . Been all over the net . But I can't find anything . Please help me...

C.S.I. Episode Loco Motives [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know the name of the song being played at the beginning of the "Loco Motives" episode? It sounded like a version of 'Mellow down easy', but I'm not sure. Thanks for any help.

Csi loco motive [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out the artist of the song mellow down easy on the openning of the csi loco motive ( it is not the black crowes)

View more questions Search