Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Riohelp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2007, 05:04 AM
    Maths - making "y" the subject *cries*
    Hi all, I'm new to this forum, but it seems cool! But the proof is in the pudding: can you answer this question?
    It came up in a specimen exam paper that I was revising with and, try as I did, I couldn't solve it. HELP! :confused:
    I need make "y" the subject.. :

x = root (( y - a) / ( y - b))

How do I do it? I honestly can't do it!
    Thanks in advance for your help. :D
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Hello there:

Rewrite the right side as:

Does that help? Maybe seeing a problem like this worked out will help you with your algebra skills.
    Riohelp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2007, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by galactus
    Hello there:

Rewrite the right side as:

Does that help?. Maybe seeing a problem like this worked out will help you with your algebra skills.

Hmm thanks but I (feel really stupid - I can't even do a GCSE question... ) don't understand how you get from step two to the rewriting:

=>

?? And I also don't get the very last = :

??

Thanks for the answer although I don't quite see how you get to those above. If it was really dumbed down then it would probably help. If possible!
    Thanks.
    p.s. Apparently my algebraic skills are in need of improvement :( :)
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2007, 11:04 AM
    That's just long division.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

A/C or Heat does not work w/thermostat set "on" or "auto". [ 22 Answers ]

A/C or Heat doesn't work in "on" or "auto". Fan will not come on at the "on" position either. I changed the batteries in the thermostat. I also read somewhere to disconnect the "Y" and hold it to the "R" on the thermostat for two minutes. That will tell me if the thermostat is the problem. ...

The difference between "sex" and "love making" [ 13 Answers ]

Ok I have been answering questions on this site for just over a week now and I might add enjoyed it, but I am now interested in peoples views on the following. What is the difference between Sex and Love making? For many years I have had what I call Sex with my husband , sometimes good and...

Pink pill with "watson" and "502" on it [ 2 Answers ]

What kind of pill is pink and has watson 502 on it?

View more questions Search