Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FLAMEonfire Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

May 12, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Iraq Dinars good Investment or Toilet Paper ?
    :confused: My sister has brought $500,000.00 in Iraq Dinars on the word of some guy at work that said they were going to go up because of an oil strike over there. Now I'm reading that the Iraqians are talking about remaking the money with Saddam's picture on it. I don't know that much about investing in foreign money, so I'm looking for some help. Has anyone heard about the oil strike and if the dinars she brought are a good investment or just pretty toilet paper.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2007, 07:48 PM
    First of course most of the oil is private owned or on leased land, a new oil find would have little effect. Next not heaf the sadam picture, but the ruling party still hates sadam so unless they are overthrown I would not wait on it.

But their money is in flux, if the US does pull out,there will be major civil war ( and religioius war) and it is possible the ruling party would be over thrown making their money worthless.

The only way that the money would grow would be that the US commits to stay in Iraq, the religious nuts stop all of their attacks, and the businesses there start doing well.

Personally I would say higher priced toilet paper, since it is obvious over the next couple of years the US will be pulling out leaving their government and economy to the wolves.
    Chris50 Posts: 30, Reputation: 10

May 19, 2007, 03:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAMEonfire
    :confused: My sister has brought $500,000.00 in Iraq Dinars on the word of some guy at work that said they were going to go up because of an oil strike over there. Now I'm reading that the Iraqians are talking about remaking the money with Saddam's picture on it. I don't know that much about investing in foreign money, so I'm looking for some help. Has anyone heard about the oil strike and if the dinars she brought are a good investment or just pretty toilet paper.
    That's about $400 US. Geez... That should tell you something right there! I agree with Fr. Chuck. You never, ever invest (even $400) in a country in a war and on the verge of a civil war. Best bet... any international fund which tracks the euro vs the US dollar... the euro is the hot choice right now.. at least for the next three or four quarters and the S&P 500 lags behind those returns and will for awhile.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 19, 2007, 04:26 PM
    Hello flame:

Well, she's either going to make a lotta money or lose it all.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 19, 2007, 06:04 PM
    But like I said, on another post, back in the 70's, a good friend had this hot tip on a silly company called Tandey company, they were going to invest in computers and mid price electronics.
    And I just laughed people having computers in their home, "yea, right" computers are the size of rooms and people are not going to buy electronics form a store that does not install the items.
    Well I guess a few thousand dollars would have made you a millionaire in what became Radio Shack ( and of course knowing when to get out of it)
    FLAMEonfire Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

May 20, 2007, 04:23 AM
    :d Lol FR. Chuck, If Someone Would Have Told My Sister About The Stocks Back Then, She Probably Would Have Gone Past It Like Most Everyone Else. But In Her "old" Age, [she's 43] She's Willing To Take Chances. If They Turn Out To Be Big Bucks [and She Shares With Me] I'll Take Everyone Out To Dinner!

Thanks For Answering Guys!
    NeeCee1966 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2009, 09:45 PM
    You can look at it two ways. Your sister purchased the dinars not knowing what it will end up like. Life is a gamble and the amount she spent is US Dollars probably did not cost her a lot so I would say sit on them for at least two to three more years. What does she have to lose? She can sell them back at any time. HSBC bank will buy them back. I did the same thing and only spent 1,000.00 US dollars and I will wait it out. After all I wish 1,000 in my life time was all I have thrown away!! Good luck to her! :)
    IraqiDinar005 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2010, 11:07 PM
    Everywhere I go and everyone I see is saying, “have you got in on this Iraqi Dinar deal?” It boggles my mind how much Dinar there is floating around the place. Bubba has to be correct in that for our 5,000,000 Dinar we will likely get US$5,000. How on earth can any Country buy back it's currency at some of the suggested rates that have been floating around over the past few weeks? Boy 'o boy do I wish that I was wrong, but as Bubba says “it is sadly over” (:
    Read More:http://www.dinariraqi.net

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No news from my boyfriend from Iraq [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! Can somebody help me to found some info about my boyfriend in Iraq. I have no information about him for more than one month from 09 may 2003. He is US citizen, Anatoly Dukhovny , 47 years old, was sent to Iraq(Um-Kasr) from San Diego. Thanks in advance... Lielechka

Soldier in Iraq [ 7 Answers ]

So my friend is in iraq fighting the war. I sent him care packages and emails ever since he left. We are just friends and always will be just friends. So anyway his girlfriend has his password to his email account and lately has been checking his emails. She read his mom's email to him, his sister...

The Iraq Study Group [ 4 Answers ]

Hello: America just abdicated its responsibility to defend itself against Iran and in the process, left Israel high and dry. Indeed, he's trading Israel in. Baker believes that Iran will agree to temporarily hold its fire in Iraq in exchange for US acceptance of Iran as a nuclear power and...

Iraq, N Korea, Iran [ 78 Answers ]

Ok. We are in Iraq, Iran will possibly have nuclear weapons within the next two years, and it is possible N Korea could be fairly close if not already there. We are distracted in Iraq, so what do we do? THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT CUT AND RUN OR BUSH'S POLICY ON IRAQ OR Whether IT IS AN ILLEGAL...

I'm a soldier who lost a leg in Iraq. [ 6 Answers ]

I came back home in darkness with so many bandages without anybody noticing us. I have made a vow to myself to reveal the lies of those who stole my life. Here is the truth they are trying to conceal from you As casualties mount in Iraq, so has the monetary cost of the war. The military is...

View more questions Search