Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robertsqueen Posts: 376, Reputation: 43

May 12, 2007, 07:36 PM
    My son is seeing a speech therapist
    Okay so here is the deal. My son who is two (as you all know lol) is seeing a speech therapist. The doctor prescribed it, so I went along with it for a few weeks. Well now she is getting kind of weird. There are a few things that bother me about her.

1) she says that he needs behavior management because he bites (only when frustrated or excited) and said that she was going to call the doctor, even though I told her no.

2) She plays inside his mouth and presses on his teeth.. he is teething right now and his teeth and sensitive. Also she does this without gloves.

3) She has let him drink off her cup... isn't that unprofessional?

4) The last time she was here she had two toys and told him that he couldn't play with them unless he said me... she kept repeating the word and told him no even when he said please. He got so frustrated he bit himself and started to bawl. I don't think that she should be pushing him that hard. We have taught him to say please when he wants something... also he says me, I, mommy when she isn't here.

4) She says that I don't displine him good enough. That I need to work on not being so sweet.

5) When I told him that he has been biting... she told me to bite him back. Okay I am college and I have taken parenting classes and every class that I have taken has told me that biting a child back is just teaching him to bite more. This really upset me.

I told my husband and family what has been taking place... they say that I should tell her that I want to quit the sessions. I am confused. I think that for a two year old he talks fine... but I also don't have a degree on that topic...

So my question is: What do you guys think? I value your opinion and I am really stuck on this one.
    AW805 Posts: 283, Reputation: 43

May 12, 2007, 07:54 PM
    Why would your son need a speech therapist at 2 years old?
    You should not bite your child for biting. You are right, he bites out of frustration and excitement and also kids bite because they are teething. Follow your instinct. I have to agree with you-- she sounds very unprofessional and what she is doing and saying is wrong on so many levels.

May 12, 2007, 07:58 PM
    Not only that but sharing germs with him? What professional lets her patient drink out of their glass... and she doesn't wear gloves because it reminds children of the doctor?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2007, 07:58 PM
    1. While most likely legal, not ethical

2. are they pressing on the teeth or showing them how to hold the tongue and how to shape the mouth

a. gloves.. ok 30 years ago, they all did, but not in today's society

3. not professional at all.

4. standard basically motivation, but then that relates to number one the biting, which is a serious issue

5. no biting them back is against the law even, spanking them is very correct and needs to be done to stop the biting

I think I am concerned why you did not already pull them out and why you even had to ask anyone, about 1/2 though the first session of that, my child and me would be out the door.

I can't see what you are stuck on??

May 12, 2007, 08:07 PM
    Sorry Fr_Chuck, I don't agree with you on spanking for biting.

Robertsqueen: I still don't understand why a 2 year old is going to speech therapy (? ). Most children don't really start making sense until they're about 3-4. My daughter sounded like she was was from New Jersey and had a bad lisp. Children outgrow these things.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2007, 08:22 PM
    My son will be starting speech therapy this fall (he's 4).
    We've been to all the prescreenings so far.
    During the evaluation, they did check his mouth
    (teeth, tongue, and the roof of his mouth) to make sure it was developed the right way and not causing the problem.
    They also wore gloves.

Drinking from the same cup is absolutely unacceptable - who knows where her mouth has been!
    There needs to be a stop to that.
    Just tell her you don't feel comfortable with your son drinking after her.

When my son was younger, I was debating weather or not to put him in speech therapy.
    I was told that at 2 years old you can't tell if there is really a problem or if it's just baby talk.
    It was recommended for me, that if he still had a problem, to wait until he was 4.

I've never had a bitting problem with my kids, but I wouldn't suggest bitting him back.
    I believe the people who suggest that probably feel that if the child realizes that it hurts the person they're biting, they'll stop.
    This wouldn't be the case for you because your son bites himself and knows it hurts.
    The woman gave you very bad and unprofessional advice there...

If you'd like to continue speech therapy, could you suggest a different therapist?

Kae

May 12, 2007, 08:27 PM
    Yeah. He was put into speech therapy because the doctor was worried that he wasn't speaking correctly. I went along wth it thinking what harm could it do? I don't want to hurt her feelings, but I think that this is too much at one time for him. He gets upset if you even mention her name. I thougtht that he was talking just fine... but all these professionals keep telling me that he is not. I just want to do what is best for my son... you know? I was in specail education and speech therapy until I was in high school. I don't want him to go through all that... the name calling... they think its because he has had ear problems.. he has gotten two sets of tubes already.

May 12, 2007, 08:29 PM
    I live in a small town and there is no other speech therapist. No, she told me that I have to put my fingers in his mouth and press on his teeth ten times... each day, five times a day. He hates it.. exspecailly because he is teething.
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2007, 08:37 PM
    Why do you have to press on his teeth?

May 12, 2007, 08:38 PM
    She said it sends signals up to his brain to talk. But it really hurts him and he cries.
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2007, 08:40 PM
    I've never heard that before.

May 12, 2007, 08:42 PM
    And neither did I? That's one reason why I am sceptical about her.

May 12, 2007, 08:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by robertsqueen
    She said it sends signals up to his brain to talk. But it really hurts him and he cries.
    What? Pressing on a child's teeth? That sounds really crazy.
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2007, 08:59 PM
    You know, my son had ear problems too.
    He'd have temper tantrums (minus the biting) out of frustration in not being able to communicate his wants and feelings.
    We learned sign language together - just simple communication signs like drink, hungry, play, toys, I love you, no, yes, happy, sad, - you get the idea... we did this along with speaking to him.
    It was just an easy way for him to communicate instead of us not knowing what he was saying and playing the guessing game and getting no where with it.
    As new words would come up, we'd just learn them together.
    Like once I remember we were outside and an airplane was flying over head.
    He was interested in it, so we learned the sign for airplane.
    We were in the store some time after that and my children were picking out a surprise and he told me he wanted a toy airplane by using the signs - had we not learned it , there probably would have been a temper tantrum inside the store because I would have had no idea what he was wanting or looking for.
    It worked wonders with the temper tantrums in all areas of our life because he could communicate.

May 12, 2007, 09:00 PM
    We are working on using sign lanuge and a word book...
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2007, 09:04 PM
    That's great!
    If he's having temper tantrums because of frustration with communicating, it may help - it did with my son.
    They pick up on it very quickly too.
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

May 13, 2007, 07:43 AM
    The woman sounds like a quack... I would not be letting my children see her again. She is probably paying the dr's a kickback for the referals. The dr might be going off your history as far as speech problems. If there isn't anything physically wrong and you don't think that he needs it don't do it. Mommy knows best... and you know your son. You have to think, would you rather spare her feeling or your sons terror at the whole situation. He may decide not to talk at all if she keeps up with her "speech therapy". The choice is yours of course, but I know what mine would be hurt feelings or not. Besides, it sounds like he's doing good for his age. If you really want to know about his speech take him to a daycare with four and five year olds who speak well and see how he does. An hour a day and he should learn to speak more and more very soon. Children love to be challenged by other slightly older children.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 13, 2007, 08:02 AM
    You need a second opinion really bad, and a new doctor. I don't agree with anything your current doctor recommends at all. I think he would be better served at home with common sense and love.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2007, 08:12 AM
    I would say that ANY time you have reservations about ANYONE who interacts with your kids - then you should seek another opinion. If you feel this speech therapist is off base - take him some where else. A lot of times, colleges have programs that you could take your child to.
    As a mom, you should always trust your gut and NEVER be afraid of hurting someone's feelings - when it comes to the wellness of your child. It is okay to have different opinions. Remember, you are paying for this service and if you don't feel like you are getting your monies worth - say something.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 13, 2007, 08:17 AM
    Hello r:

I don't know nothing about speech therapy stuff. But, if you're not happy with him, and for the sake of your baby, you need to travel to another town.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contact with therapist after therapy? [ 14 Answers ]

Is it considered ethical to have contact and/or establish a friendship with a counselor or therapist after treatment is complete? Why I'm asking is because we now live on the same block (just 2 houses apart) as a counselor I saw for 3 years. Since we moved here, we've been friendly with her and her...

Therapist as my friend [ 3 Answers ]

I became friends with my therapist after therapy was concluded. Now he is having his own mental health issues and I do not know how to handle it. Any advice?

My son! [ 12 Answers ]

Hey, My name is Chris. I live in Ireland with my 5 sons. My wife died when my oldest son was 6. I'm only 38 so I find it quiet hard to handle my sons. 4 of them are easy to handle but my youngest son is very hard to cope with. Hes always getting kicked out of sports and even school. Hes...

My Son [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everybody I have some problems and need to share with those people with full of kindness that can help me. I am a single mom with 3 kids. I have a man next to me now that will be my future husband. He is a very good man to me and wonderful father-to- be to my kids. My relationship with...

My son is gone... now what? [ 15 Answers ]

My son, Tiponi passed away in Dec. 2004. My shield of numbness is gone from me. I feel alone on the subject of death as no one here will talk about it or my son, Tiponi. If I mention his name the subject is quickly changed. If I have a moment of crying because I miss him so... my boyfriend...

View more questions Search