Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sak2talk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2007, 07:11 PM
    Father's rights
    What are the father's rights to a 1 yr. old baby even though the parents are not married?
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

May 12, 2007, 07:28 PM
    The same as any other father's rights... though it most closely resembles divorced couples as far as rights and responsibilities, visitations, custody, child support etc. Marital status is not a factor in rights/responsibilities of parenthood.

Unmarried parents should get custody, visitation, and child support arrangements formalized through the courts with the help of an attorney.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Has the father or mother not already filed in family court, but they need to file for a level of custody, joint, or not, the mother if she has the baby needs to have a order of physcial custody issues she she has legal physcial custody. Then the father will want to have set visitation days or weekend and weeks in the summer set up. And who gets who on holidays.

But not being married does not take away any of his rights, it only required him to prove he is the father by a DNA test if needed.
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45

May 12, 2007, 08:55 PM
    While not having been married doesn't take away from the father's legal rights it does make it harder to enforce. You have to go to court to establish paternity, order support, order visitation, and ultimately order custody (both physical/legal). Often this takes money. Therefore it's not really as easy for a birth father to get rights established. If the mother is on any kind of state assistance it will be easier though take longer. Father can file for rights through Child Support Enforcement in the state the child resides in... The fastest is of course to hire your own attorney. Father's have rights to be an active part of their child's life, to help make decisions concerning the child's welfare, and influence how the child is raised. Though it's not fair... it's the way things are. I suppose the woman had a time of "not fair" when she had to give birth and take responsibility of a new life. Good luck. Father's should have rights without having to fight so hard. It's not nearly as hard for a woman to establish child support. Just my opinion.
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

May 12, 2007, 09:57 PM
    If the parents are in agreement and amicable, and the father accepts paternity, it should be a simple matter of filing their agreements, getting support squared away via the state's standard formula, and not cost much money. Only when people are contentious does it become any kind of battle... and then only the lawyers really "win"

The OP didn't detail the situation, but if asking here it's probably not good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father's Rights [ 2 Answers ]

I fled the state of Florida due to a horrible break up between my daughter's father and myself. We were living together and the he was extremely emotional abusive and it had gotten physical before. One day I left and never went back. Now he is threatening me with the law and saying he is going to...

Father's rights after years [ 2 Answers ]

I had been involved with a guy for a year or so when I became pregnant I was only 18 then. His answer when I told him that I was pregnant was that he didn't wanted the baby he sugested and abortion, which I said no. I was left alone to tell my parents that I was single. I carried on my pregnancy...

Father's Rights [ 1 Answers ]

My best friend just had a baby, and now the father of the baby is taking her to court for custody (he is threatening to at least). My friend and the baby's father were never married, but he signed the birth certificate. My friend does not want to let him take the baby because he is an alcoholic,...

Father's Rights? [ 7 Answers ]

Does a father have any right if a woman wants to have an unplanned pregancy? Can she demand anything from him if he does not want to participate?

Father's rights [ 8 Answers ]

I have a five year old daughter. Her father was a registered sex offender (I did not know)and left for AK when she was born. I made it clear I wanted nothing to do with him. I have not seen or heard from him in over four years. He knew about his daughter but to my knolwledge has never tried to find...

View more questions Search