Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ucokaty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2007, 03:13 PM
    How much of a debt must you rack up before a collector can garnish wages?
    I was dumb enough to sign up for a 2 year contract at a tanning salon. It's a long story, but to make the long story short they are trying to say I owe 2 more months then i actually do. For health reasons i did not even tan but a year of the contract and paid the other year. I REFUSE to even pay them a penny more! I should have put the stop payment on it a year ago, but anywho....... How long will they keep sending me letters? Some people have said maybe 2 years and then it will be on my credit report. I rack up $30 in fees a month BUT i am not going to pay it. I have great credit and pleanty of money and am not concerned as far as the credit report goes. I f i have a stop payment on it is there any way they can legally withdrawal money out of my account without my consent and if so how high would the so called "debt" have to reach. Can they garnish my wages? to me this seems too much of a kindergarden type of debt to even waste their time on but who knows...... any advice is appreciated! THANKS SO MUCH :D
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2007, 03:51 PM
    They can report you oweing the debt after the first month it is late if they wanted to. And they can sue you in court, and get a judgement if they get a judgement they can either attach your bank accounts or garnish your wages ( in most US states) and of course by the time they add late charges, collection fees and the such two months of 30 dollars ( 60 dollars) will be several hunderd dollars by the time they get into judgement.
    ucokaty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2007, 04:03 PM
    True, but is there a set limit that you must owe for someone to attempt to garnish a bank account/ wages? Couldn't I just have all my money put in someone else's name that I trust? Just things coming to mind...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2007, 04:12 PM
    No, if you owe someone one dollar, they can take you to small claims court and get a judgement,

And if you move your money, that if fraud, and if they prove it, they fine you and your friend,

If you don't legally owe the money, then theywould not win, but if you owe from the contract then you should pay

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who can legally garnish your wages? [ 10 Answers ]

I would like to know who has the right to legally garnish your wages? If you purchase a vehicle and have to turn it in due to not being able to pay for it can they garnish your wages? Also if you were in the National Guard and you received pay after you were deployed but were sent back due to...

How do I garnish someone's wages? [ 5 Answers ]

I won a judgement from an individual (whom won't pay). How do I start the process of garnishing his wages?

How do I garnish wages in Georgia? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a landlord that won an eviction and judgement against my tenent. The tenent has not paid the judgement. Also I do not know where they live or work. What can I do to garnish their wages?

Maryland Judgement - How do I garnish wages [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Maryland Court Judgement against an individual, I have found where he works, how can I garnish his wages, without incurring in a big cost? Please help,

Disability wages to garnish [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if the State of Florida will garnish disabilty wages from social security on child support. Court order my exhusband to give me any benefits he was receiving on behalf of my son in leiu of back pay in child support, but he kept everything... PLEASE HELP

View more questions Search