Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mineminemine Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2007, 02:51 PM
    What is process for birth mother to relinquish rights to the biological father
    My husband and I are going to raise the baby he is the biological father of, soon to be born. The biological mother, has two kids and does not want to raise another. She wants the baby's father, my husband, and I to raise this baby as our own. My husband will be listed as father on the birth certificate and the baby will have his last name. How do we go about getting the paperwork for her to sign to relinquish her parental rights of this baby to my husband? Then I can adopt the child as my own, right? Is there a time frame for a mother to relinquish her rights? Does she have to wait any period? A 'cooling off' thing or such? Can she do this in the hospital? She wants us to have the baby from day one. She is very cooperative and willing to sign anything we need, because it is in the best interest of this baby to be with its father. So what all is involved?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2007, 02:54 PM
    You need an attorney for this she will sign her righs and a notice for adoptoin will be filed in family court. Rules on periods vary by state law in the US>

It is just a lot of paperwork, but very detailed, you do need an attorney

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relinquish parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

His ex-girlfriend is trying to get more money out of him for child support. He is already tapped out. He feels if he gives her any more money he won't have anything to give his little girl when he has her. He feels that if she gets more money out of him that he will have to give his daughter up...

Rights of a father not listed on birth certificate [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Louisiana and am pregnant with my first child. The father of the baby has expressed no interest in the baby and will not be listed on the birth certificate. What rights, if any will he have even if he isn't listed on the birth certificate?

Father wants to relinquish parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Pennsylvania. My daughter is almost 6 years old. Her biological father has not seen her since she was 12 days old but he has been paying child support for about 6 months now. I've been remarried for 4 1/2 years and my daughter has known my new husband as her father since she was 7...

Finding my biological mother or father [ 7 Answers ]

I would like some help on trying to find my dad. My dad's name is Wayne Turman. And my moms name was Patricia Turman. But they got divorced when I was a baby, and I don't know my moms madien name is. I have two biological brothers, and I have a sister which lived with me. I told my foster parents,...

Curious about biological mother or father [ 6 Answers ]

View more questions Search