Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shelleycat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2007, 01:58 PM
    Sibling refuses to move from/sell home parent left to all 4 siblings
    My mother passed away 6 years ago and willed the family home to her 4 children equally. Three of us have our own homes but brother, never married, has lived most of his 58 years in that home. He does not want to sell and continues to live there (a duplex, 6 rooms each side). He uses one side for basic living purposes and smokes and plays music on the other side, saying he couldn't stand to have a renter. He is not maintaining the house although at this time it is in good condition except for needing updating on the interior. The 3 other siblings want to sell but he calls us selfish and says we are only thinking of the money. I think it could sell in the $175,000 - 200,000 range but it would mean he would need to find somewhere else to live. Do we have any legal recourse in this matter?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 12, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Yes. You can speak to a real estate attorney about filing a lawsuit for a partition of the property. This is where the judge orders that the property be sold and the money divided equally among the owners.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

May 12, 2007, 02:28 PM
    You can ask him to sell the home... If he does not like to sell it he has to pay 75 per cent-3/4 of the value to his siblings -take an expert.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Purchased something off eBay, now she refuses to sell it [ 11 Answers ]

Over 2 weeks ago, I purchased an item off eBay and won it for a certain amount, no reserve was in big bold red letters, auction ends, I win.. minutes later I receive an email stating she didn't realize no reserve, she has just purchased these items weeks prior on eBay for much more and she can't...

Sibling Taking Advantage of Grieve Stricken Parent [ 2 Answers ]

Sister and Brother in law have had my Mother sign over her home to them under false pretenses. The home originally belonged to my grandmother - who in turn had my mother put on deed- (Never my Father - who solely supported this home for 53 years until his death last year), purposely so the home...

No PARENT left behind [ 5 Answers ]

Okay, here is my addition to the humor & comedy thread, I too apologize if you have seen these, but as a parent myself who prefers good english out of my children I got a great laugh out of some of these :p NO PARENT LEFT BEHIND. I promise you cannot read these and not laugh out Loud....

Evicting sibling from deceased parents home-rights [ 6 Answers ]

Adult sibling lived in deceased Missouri parent's home for five years. Paid no rent, used $20,000 in funds for own use-bank records document the usage. Need to get sibling out of house. Pot smoker caused extensive smoke damage that now needs to be removed from home. Occupant sibling willing to...

I've terminated a lease but roommate refuses to move out [ 2 Answers ]

I have a roommate which I've given a 30 day notice in writing to terminate the lease agreement (I've posted on the door and had a witness sign it who viewed me posting it to the front of the door since the roommate and I don't get along and my fiancé an I want to live alone and start a family. ...

View more questions Search