Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deedoneit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 05:10 PM
    Wages cut 35% after 15 years w/same company
    I have been employed by the same company for over 15 years.
    Now my position is being redirected with a wage cut of 35%.
    Do I have to accept this, is there anything I can do?
    I know this is the first step in phasing out long time employees.
    gogosean Posts: 47, Reputation: 6

May 11, 2007, 05:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by deedoneit
    I have been employed by the same company for over 15 years.
    Now my position is being redirected with a wage cut of 35%.
    Do I have to accept this, is there anything I can do?
    I know this is the first step in phasing out long time employees.
    I would strongly suggest you look up the term "constructive dismissal". It is common for very very large companies to offer a severance package as an option to taking such a severe cut.

The term "constructive dismissal" means, in lay person's terms, "You might as well have fired me."

I am not an attorney giving free advice, but since we all have our own network of people, I hear these firsthand accounts all the time. The severance instead of pay reduction is a reasonable practice.

If you work for a small company, then they probably don't have as sophisticated HR backgrounds to argue in your favor.

Before you do anything with your HR, get all of your research done first and at least have your attorney in waiting. They may have a larger plan here. Don't get caught in the wheels of other firings by aggrivating your situation with a weak case. Before you do anyting, make sure you have the strongest case possible.
    If they cut your wages by 1/3, then guess what your severance package will be? That's right, 2/3 of your income for x months , or for x weeks.

Good Luck!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Company Introduction Letter (B2B) for a HR services outsourcing company [ 10 Answers ]

How can I make a good company Introduction letter (B2B), for a HR outsourcing company? Please help me out with any free samples.

Social security wages, medicare wages [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an international student in the US on F-1 visa. I have filed federal tax returns twice and NY state tax returns once preciously. Both times my W-2 did not show social security wages or medicare wages (and the tax withheld for each of these). However, this year my W-2 shows figures on...

Can an hourly employees wages be cut [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: There has been some discussion in upper management about cutting some employees hourly wages. Can this be done? Can they only cut certain employees or would they have to do it to all?

Cut her loose or cut her slackj [ 3 Answers ]

Dude, this sounds bad, but my friend is hott(not in a lesbo way), and she is friends with all the guys. But whenever she tries to help out a friend, they always endup liking her! It really ticks me off because all the guys love her and I really don't need her taking the only guy I got! She always...

Find someone's past years wages [ 4 Answers ]

Is there anyway for someone to find out someone else's past years wages?

View more questions Search