Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pretty_in_pink Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Apr 18, 2005, 08:45 PM
    Se.dll, fltmgr.dll
    Norton Anti-virus prompted me that both files are at high risk... suggesting that these files should be deleted... donno the importance of such files and if my XP will still run if I delete them :confused:...

What should I do?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2005, 11:00 PM
    Well I don't keep up on the new viruses and stuff out there, but by all means do it, since it found it, it was in its database, scanned, found it and now is asking you to rid the computer of it.
    surivb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2005, 04:45 AM
    Abount se.dll etc.
    The question is not clear.

Kindly re post it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 19, 2005, 05:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pretty_in_pink
    Norton Anti-virus prompted me that both files are at high risk... suggesting that these files should be deleted... donno the importance of such files and if my XP will still run if i delete them :confused: ...

What should I do?
    If Norton offers to quarantine them, then do that. Otherwise I would trust them if they say to delete them.

By the way, this is really a security or software question, not hardware. Just a tip for future postings, it's a good idea to post in an appropriate category.
    surivb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2005, 05:37 AM
    Any malware can be named anything - so you should check where the files of the running processes are located on your disk. If a "non-Microsoft" .exe file is located in the C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System32 folder, then there is a high risk for a virus, spyware, trojan or worm infection!

Just go to windows+system32 parent folder usually c:\windows\system32.

& right click of the file se.dll. And see the version window.if it is not there then it is virus file. And u can quarantine it.

Apr 20, 2005, 06:22 AM
    Posting it here might mean that I really don't know what to do... I may be confused or something... but I still get help right?. hehe... :D thanks...

I deleted se.dll previously and every time I turn on my PC... it says something like "cannot load file c:\docu..\locals~1\temp\se.dll"... and I donno if I should delete fltmgr.dll which is actually in system32 folder. I mean will it harm my computer if I delete the file...

NAv says it has adware virus and at high risk... where do these virus comin' from? (but don't worry that's not my question... :) )

Definitely bothered...

Apr 20, 2005, 01:07 PM
    You haven't answered what NAV says it will do with those files? You shouldn't just delete files yourself. Let the software remove all the junk.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2005, 01:08 PM
    Well since its picking it up, I'd get rid of it. (it was in its database) those viruses, adware,spyware, can come from email's, just plain searching the web, etc. best thing to do is use a firewall.

Apr 20, 2005, 11:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    You haven't answered what NAV says it will do with those files? You shouldn't just delete files yourself. Let the software remove all the junk.
    As I've said... NAV suggests that the files should be deleted because it's infected with adware virus... and that I've allowed NAV to delete se.dll previously because NAV told me that it's infected with a virus. Now, every time I turn my PC on, I get the message "cannot load se.dll" (or something like that) that's why I am now afraid that by allowing NAV to delete fltmgr.dll might damage my PC or something... get my point?

Apr 21, 2005, 05:20 AM
    I asked it it offer to quarantine. But anyway. What is happening is the infected file was deleted but the file that needs it wasn't. That's why the message. So you need to eithger reinstall what's calling it or uninstall it.

Deleting won't damage your PC. The only consequence might be something not being able to run. So instead of deleting, move the file to a CD or floppy so you can restore it if need be.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search