Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yolovesflowers Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 11:53 AM
    Is a sprinkler pump worth buying?
    I don't have inground sprinklers, and can't afford them at this time, but I do love flowers and am having a hard time with watering. I have 5 different areas where I have planted the flowers and would like to run two hoses with attached sprinklers but, when I do this the pressure is obviously split and the sprinklers do not reach the same coverage as they would if I did one sprinkler at a time. I contacted the water authority but, they too are too expensive for me at this time. So, I started researching different options and found that sears has a sprinkler pump, a craftsman 1/2 HP portable utility/sprinkler pump, which can run 1-2 sprinklers and pumps 9.3 GPM. Will this solve my problem? Has anyone ever tried this or a similar product. Please advise.

Thank you.:o
    yolovesflowers
    iamarcin Posts: 72, Reputation: 4

May 11, 2007, 01:10 PM
    Were is this pump getting water from?
    Since you have to power the pump the cost issue still rises up.
    Where do you live that you don't have enough pressure?

You can try a perforated soaker hose which you lay on the ground and it is more eficient so requires less water and easy to install. Mulch the area around watever you are watering so you don't have to water as often.

I live on long island ny and just installed inground sprinclers for my front lawn. It wasn't that expensive with doing it myself.
    yolovesflowers Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 01:26 PM
    The pump will receive water from a hose that is attached to a timer that's attached to the outside faucet.

I have a soaker hose at one of the gardens. I am trying to water all of them together because I just don't have the time to move the sprinklers to different areas.
    I too, live on Long Island.

Was it difficult installing the sprinklers on your own?

:rolleyes:
    iamarcin Posts: 72, Reputation: 4

May 11, 2007, 01:58 PM
    I got a lot of help here
    Irrigation tutorials; sprinkler & drip systems, design, install and repair.
    but eaven that confuses issues a bit because it goes overboard

the first thing you should do is get that pressure gague at home depot
    its in the plumbing section by the sprinkler supplies. Costs $10 but if you hold on to receipt you can always return it.

than try the bucket test.
    --- off that site ---
    Get a 5-gallon bucket. Old paint buckets work great. Since most 5-gallon buckets actually hold more than 5 gallons of water, you will need to calibrate the bucket as follows: Find an accurate measuring container, and measure out 5 gallons of water into your bucket. Then mark the water level on the side of the bucket with a marking pen so you can easily see it. The test is simple. Put the bucket under your water outlet pipe and time how long it takes to fill the bucket to 5 gallons. The formula for calculating the flow in GPM is: 300 divided by the seconds it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket = GPM.

I had 80 psi and came out to like 30gpm which are like very good conditions
    the lower the numbers the harder your job will be

the work was rather phisical
    the planing and expertiese part weren't at all dificult
    there is a website out there that will plan your pipes for you if you draw them an acurate plan of your yard and send it to them.
    but I had some experience in taping into coper supply and sweating coper pipes which you will almost certinly have to do

I live in holtsville if you live close enough id be willing to come over and help a bit in any way I can

talk to the plumbing gus at home depot they know more than I
    if you come across a dumbass got to another onethey aren't that far apart
    or on a different day they were very helpful to me

how much would you be wiling to spend
    Zainodien Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by yolovesflowers
    I don't have inground sprinklers, and can't afford them at this time, but I do love flowers and am having a hard time with watering. I have 5 different areas where I have planted the flowers and would like to run two hoses with attached sprinklers but, when I do this the pressure is obviously split and the sprinklers do not reach the same coverage as they would if I did one sprinkler at a time. I contacted the water authority but, they too are too expensive for me at this time. So, I started researching different options and found that sears has a sprinkler pump, a craftsman 1/2 HP portable utility/sprinkler pump, which can run 1-2 sprinklers and pumps 9.3 GPM. Will this solve my problem? Has anyone ever tried this or a similar product. Please advise.

Thank you.:o
    yolovesflowers
    We have a garden and we have spriklers up to 12 running off one water tap. They are plastic and you insert them under the ground and lead them to the appropriate sector to ensure that your flowers get the requested amount of water, They costed for 12 not even R100.00. I am not sure where you are located but I bought them locally in Cape Town and they do not need any pumps.

Trust it helps
    dMacII Posts: 17, Reputation: 4

May 14, 2007, 05:22 AM
    I have seen timers that control two separate discharge lines. Set one of these up in the garden area where you now split your main supply hose. Some timers have 7-day cycles and run on batteries. One of these with two outlets would solve your problem with almost no work and very little money... and you wouldn't have to bother with it for the whole summer (except to change the batteries once in a while). If you want to follow up on this answer, reply and I can go into more detail.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are the game systems worth buying [ 11 Answers ]

I was planning on getting an xbox 360, but since all the bad reports, I'm thinking of not getting one. Im also planning on getting a ps3. Are they worth buying?

In ground sprinkler pump [ 1 Answers ]

I had a 220 pump on my sprinkler system and it died on me. I ordered a new one from a company and they sent me a 110 pump. I called them and the said " were sorry we only make them in 110. Here my question how can I take the 220 and drop it down to a 110/115 . To make my new pump work? Do I...

Priming Sprinkler Pump [ 2 Answers ]

I have just replaced my 2 hp sprinkler pump and all of the line leading from the ground. I did replace my check valve. I cannot get my pump to prime. I did check for air and I did fill the pump with water. I have done this before with no problems except for changing the check valve. Any...

Sprinkler pump [ 4 Answers ]

My sprinkler pump works fine I have good pressure but the pump makes a loud screaming sound. I think my neighbors are upset with me. How can I fix the problem?

View more questions Search