Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 11, 2007, 09:01 AM
    The Chauffeur Riddle
    OK - another fun little math problem for you to think about. This is one of my favorite math riddles because it sounds complicated but is really quite simple.

A man is in the habit of taking the train from work to his home town every day. The train always gets to his home town station precisely at 6:00 PM (hey, it's a math problem, so everything always works perfectly). Now this guy is rather rich, and he has a chauffeur who meets him at the train station every day at 6:00 to take him home. Every day the chauffer drives from the man's home to the station to meet his boss, and he has the timing down so well that he arrives at the station at the same time as the man gets off the train, so there's no idle time for either the chauffeur or the man. Every day after the man gets picked up they drive directly home, and they always arrive at home at exactly the same time every day.

Well one day the man decides to alter his routine, and he takes a train that gets in an hour early. But he forgets to call ahead to tell the chauffer to meet him early. When he gets off the train there is of course no car waiting, so the man decides to start walking home. After a while the chauffeur comes driving along, sees the man walking along the road, stops to pick him up, and the two drive on home.

When they get home the man walks in the door and his wife says, "Honey, what a nice surprise! You're home 20 minutes early!"

Question - how long was the man walking along the road before the chauffeur stopped to pick him up?

Hint - if you find yourself trying to solve this using simultaneous equations in multiple unknowns you aren't thinking about it right - there's a simpler way.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 11, 2007, 09:09 AM
    Oh, jeez math!!

40 minutes?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 11, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Hmmm... 50 minutes?. Yes I think that's right..
    Expert

May 11, 2007, 09:23 AM
    Well if the train gets in an hour early, that is 60 minutes, and he is home 20 minutes early, wouldn't that mean he was walking for 40 minutes?
    Expert

May 11, 2007, 09:32 AM
    Cap is right on!
    Expert

May 11, 2007, 09:34 AM
    Okay, I have to know how that works!!

He leaves 60 minutes early, gets home 20 minutes early

Okay, I am lost
    Uber Member

May 11, 2007, 09:44 AM
    His chauffeur saves 20 minutes... 10 minutes in each direction, so the guy must have been walking until 5:50
    eeseely Posts: 100, Reputation: 3

May 11, 2007, 05:15 PM
    I would suggest that this problem has no answer.

Here's my approach:

GIVEN:

Tc = Driving time (Station to Home) (hours

Normal arrival time = Tn = Tc + 6 (hours)

Today's Arrival time = T = Tn – 1/3 (hours)

T = 5 + k*Tc + Walk Time (hours)

5 + k*Tc + Walk Time = Tn – 1/3 (hours)

5 + k*Tc + Walk Time = Tc + 6 - 1/3 (hours)

WT = Tc*(1-k) + 6 – 5 -1/3 (hours)

WT = Tc*(1-k) +2/3 (hours)

Substitute for Tc:

Wt = (Tn – 6) (1-k) + 1 (hours)

WT = Tn –6 +6k –k*Tn + 1 (hours)

We don't know what time he normally gets home
    Uber Member

May 11, 2007, 05:34 PM
    Do you not agree that my answer is logical?

He gets home 20 minutes early, so his chauffer must pick him up 20/2 minutes earlier than normal.
    Expert

May 14, 2007, 11:00 AM
    eeseely:

You are correct that we don't know what time he normally gets home, and neither do you know your factor "k", but these are not needed to solve the riddle. Looks to me like for your approach to work you need to know both pieces of data. Since we don't know either of these, you need tro try a different approach!
    eeseely Posts: 100, Reputation: 3

May 14, 2007, 02:47 PM
    When I have time, I'll take another look at your riddle.
    H_Thomas Posts: 4, Reputation: -1

May 14, 2007, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    OK - another fun little math problem for you to think about. This is one of my favorite math riddles because it sounds complicated but is really quite simple.

A man is in the habit of taking the train from work to his home town every day. The train always gets to his home town station precisely at 6:00 PM (hey, it's a math problem, so everything always works perfectly). Now this guy is rather rich, and he has a chauffeur who meets him at the train station every day at 6:00 to take him home. Every day the chauffer drives from the man's home to the station to meet his boss, and he has the timing down so well that he arrives at the station at the same time as the man gets off the train, so there's no idle time for either the chauffeur or the man. Every day after the man gets picked up they drive directly home, and they always arrive at home at exactly the same time every day.

Well one day the man decides to alter his routine, and he takes a train that gets in an hour early. But he forgets to call ahead to tell the chauffer to meet him early. When he gets off the train there is of course no car waiting, so the man decides to start walking home. After a while the chauffeur comes driving along, sees the man walking along the road, stops to pick him up, and and the two drive on home.

When they get home the man walks in the door and his wife says, "Honey, what a nice surprise! You're home 20 minutes early!"

Question - how long was the man walking along the road before the chauffeur stopped to pick him up?

Hint - if you find yourself trying to solve this using simultaneous equations in multiple unknowns you aren't thinking about it right - there's a simpler way.
    40 minutes. I want to know
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2007, 03:49 PM
    Cap is right. Sorry Cap, had to spread the love.

Why are you guys trying to solve it? The answer is already here in the thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Riddle me this. Someone has to know this one! [ 36 Answers ]

Okay --- I have been bet that I cannot find the answer to this riddle... I need you all's help! Here it goes: WHAT IS ALWAYS TALKING WITH NOTHING TOSAY,SILVER AND ROUND ON BOTH ENDS,AND YOUR BEST FRIEND WHEN THE LIGHTS GO OUT?? My first guess was -- battery --- eh, I was wrong... ...

Riddle Me This, Riddle Me That [ 8 Answers ]

You have a bucket that holds 4 gallons of water and another bucket that holds 7 gallons of water. You must go the lake and bring back exactly 5 gallons. How would this be done?

Riddle me this [ 1 Answers ]

I am the sum of all my parts, yet equal to none of them. The answer has two words and this is a number riddle

Riddle me this. [ 4 Answers ]

What's The Difference Between Roast Beef And Pea Soup?

Riddle [ 1 Answers ]

Twice eight are ten of us, yet ten is just three. Seven of us are five. Can you now see? If this is not enough, I will tell you a bit more, Nineteen of us are eight, and nine is just four.

View more questions Search