Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dave1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2005, 02:39 PM
    Shower Drain Odor
    Our guest shower has a sewer odor, and we have repeatedly filled the trap, but odor remains. It drains very fast, so is probably not clogged. Slab house in AZ, is there likely a roof vent for the shower only? Toilet is nearby. Know nothing about vents.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 19, 2005, 07:58 AM
    Shower Drain Odor
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1
    Our guest shower has a sewer odor, and we have repeatedly filled the trap, but odor remains. It drains very fast, so is probably not clogged. Slab house in AZ, is there likely a roof vent for the shower only? Toilet is nearby. Know nothing about vents.

Hey Dave,
    Your shower is vented through the lavatory vent. Shower drain odor's caused by rotting hair and grease from the soap.
    Try this. Remove the two screws holding the strainer. (TIP; put the screws in the soap dish before they get lost down the drain.) Shine a light down there and with a bent coathanger fish out any hair that may be hiding down there. Then pour a 1/2 gal. of bleach down into the trap and let it set over night. The bleach will make the hair slippery and deodorize the drain and the boiling water will loosen the grease and flush it out into the main. Good luck, TOM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Odor coming from shower drain [ 5 Answers ]

We’ve lived in our new house for one month. There is a pungent broccoli and dirty sock odor coming from one of the three bathrooms. Prior to moving in, the plumber dug up the slab to add a shower and moved the drain for the tub. This is a one-story and all drains in the bath are going to the same...

Another emission of odor from shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

I have foul odor coming from the bathroom which sweeps through my apartment. I have a stacked washer/dryer combo in my bathroom, along with the shower, sink, and toilet. The sink and toilet have traps installed. The washer and dryer do not, I have been told by the building manager. He stated...

Shower odor [ 1 Answers ]

Home built in 1990 on a sewer system. Strong odor from trap smells like sewer. Plenty of water in trap. The water drains perfectly when shower is in use. We use it every day. Had plumber check it and is has pleanty of wter in the trap. Odor comes and goes. I extracted a table spoon of water from...

Bathroom Drain Odor [ 1 Answers ]

I Am Having Problems With Odors Coming From Both The Shower And Sink Drains In Two Of My Three Bathrooms. They Are At Opposite Ends Of The House, On Different Septic Tanks. The Strange Thing Is That The Odors Only Happen When It Rains. Even The Slightest Amount Of Rain Will Cause The Odors. I Feel...

(Another) Odor from basement shower drain problem [ 3 Answers ]

I know, not another question about shower drain, but I have a problem. I have searched this forum, and read some helpful tips for getting rid of the odor from the basement shower drain. The problem is, about two weeks ago for the first time since I have moved into my house (8 months ago) I...

View more questions Search