Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leilap Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2005, 01:15 PM
    Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds
    We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but it was impossible to take a decent shower. Each time we'd have to turn on the shower, we'd get the hot water for 10 seconds, then turn it off again, wait a minute then turn it on andget hot water again, then it goes cold and so on and so on to piece a normal shower together!
    Any advice?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 18, 2005, 01:30 PM
    Cold Showers
    Quote Originally Posted by leilap
    We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. we went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but it was impossible to take a decent shower. Each time we'd have to turn on the shower, we'd get the hot water for 10 seconds, then turn it off again, wait a minute then turn it on andget hot water again, then it goes cold and so on and so on to piece a normal shower together!
    Any advice??

I just answered a question just like yours on another Q&A site. Your unit should be under warranty. You have a bad element in the heater. Usually it's the harder working lower one. Get some one out there to check them out. This should come as no charge to you. Good luck and watch those cold showers. Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 19, 2010, 05:15 AM

Hi all..

I'm thinking you may have an issue with the DIP TUBE.

Tom, what do you think here?

Mark
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 19, 2010, 06:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi all..

I'm thinking you may have an issue with the DIP TUBE.

Tom, what do you think here?

Mark
    If the installer put heat directly on the cold water inlet and melted the plastic flange securing the dip tube so it falls down into the boiler then you're bang on.
    A much better question would be Why are we fooling around with a five year old thread?? But I think you nailed it. On a new heater that's about all it could be. Have a good one, Tom
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 19, 2010, 07:40 AM

Hey Tom...

Someone came in this morning and posted to the question. The answer was complete nonsense so I reported it for removal and answered the question presented above.

Obviously, I didn't note the date... just that someone had answered it poorly (answer gone now).

Amazing!

Thanks... Mark
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 20, 2010, 03:57 AM

Here's the post Rick deleted,
    Info
    Yesterday 07:51 AM POOOOOOO
    Well if you had a brand new heater I will just say that the new heater needs to get used to the house or it wasn't installed properly.
    Oddly enough the last sentence nailed it. I think you're 100% correct about the dip tube so it wasn't installed properly. And a good morning to you, Tom
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2011, 06:28 PM
    You have a lower element burned out. The water on top heated by the top element is used first and that is all you are getting right now. Check the element with a meter and you will find the problem. DrTom4444
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 28, 2011, 04:53 AM

Hi Drtom...

Going to have to disagree with your assessment here as the original poster said they ran out of hot water after only 10 SECONDS. They then mention that this is a pattern that repeats after waiting a minute... clearly a diptube issue.

If the lower element is bad you would have reduced hot water but since the top element would be OK there would be around 20 gallons (or more) of readily available hot water as hot water rises and would collect at the top of the water heater at the hot water outlet.

Also note that the original question dates back to 2005 so pretty sure that they are all set by now, huh?

Thanks...

Mark
    SkipW Posts: 55, Reputation: 2

Mar 28, 2011, 10:02 AM
    Any chance the heater is connected backwards. When it is full of hot water, the water drawn off the bottom would be hot until the replacement water coming from the top settles to the bottom and is cold?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 28, 2011, 10:07 AM

Hi Skip...

We'll never know here as this post is from way back in 2005... ;)

Check the dates in the upper left of the main question if you actually hope to get a response, OK?

Have a good day!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Hot water coming from cold water tap [ 15 Answers ]

Hot water is coming from 2 cold water taps and one upstairs toilet, turns to cold after 15-20 seconds, it comes out very hot. Thought it might be Bleeding through faucets, so changed laundry tub and kitchen faucett. Still does it. The cold pipes seem to get hot from near the water tank. The dip...

Hot water venting into cold water tank [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I posted my query here a while back but unfortunately it appears to have been left to fester :confused: (query was hot water from cold water tap). After a couple more visits by a plumber, his view is that the hot water tank is overheating, venting hot water into the cold water tank at the...

Which brand water heater to buy? Shopping at Home Depot [ 20 Answers ]

Looks like I'll be shopping for a new water heater soon. Very soon. My currrent water heater after calling the manufacturer has been installed in my house since 1994 that has a listed life expectantcy of 8-12 years. So I think I'm on borrowed time. It still sends out hot water and sends it out...

Water stops then starts [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: just recently when I have been taking a shower the water pressure slowly dies out until the water becomes just a trickle for about 2 minutes and then the pressure kicks bak in and the water returns to normal pressure. This has been happening more and more lately. It also happens in the...

View more questions Search