Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjmeyer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 06:06 AM
    Furnace Extremely Loud When AC is On
    About 2 months ago we turned our AC on for the first time this year. We noticed that after about 15-30 minutes, the furnace/central air unit makes a very loud, low pitched humming noise that does not stop until we turn off the AC. This doesn't happen when we have the Heat on, and it didn't happen when we had the AC on last year.

We also don't think Cool air is coming through once this noise begins.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks,
    Michael
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2007, 10:27 AM
    It may be an issue with your blower motor on the furnace, may run fine for heating because it will run in low speed but once you kick the A/C on the blower runs in high. I'd check there first.
    mjmeyer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 11:59 AM
    Thanks for the quick response.

How do I check this - and is it a quick and easy 'fix' or does this generally signal a problem? Should we not run the AC until we have identified the loud noise (for fear of causing more damage), or do you think the loud noise usually means something is wrong?

Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by hvacservicetech_07
    It may be an issue with your blower motor on the furnace, may run fine for heating because it will run in low speed but once you kick the A/C on the blower runs in high. I'd check there first.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2007, 08:36 PM
    I wouldn't advise running it very much without someone looking at it. It sounds to me like it may be the motor bearings, if so you will need to replace the blower motor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace (heat pump) making *really* loud noise. [ 2 Answers ]

Seeing as I don't know next to anything about heating/ac, I decided I'd post here to see if anyone had any idea. The setup is some old heat pump/furnace/water heater/etc, which all of a sudden at around 3:00am this morning decided to make a VERY loud noise. I had to shut it off (the furnace is a...

Furnace blower loud train like noise [ 20 Answers ]

My furnace blower recently started making a loud, low, steady train like noise every time it comes on. It is not a higher pitched squeek, but more like an engine. It is moving air and the cage is spinning. My furnace is supposed to be a perm lubricated motor. Help! I have the blower motor...

Just Got a new furnace, very LOUD [ 14 Answers ]

My 25 year old home needed new furnaces. The main floor is about 2600 sq ft and the upstairs 1000 sq ft. There is 2 HVAC systems, one larger than the other. Yesterday we had them both replaced with Goodman 80% furnaces and upgraded to variable speed fan. We also got new compressors and...

Rheem Criterion Furnace fan keeps coming on and off constantly with loud noise [ 14 Answers ]

Rheem Criterion Furnace fan keeps coming on and off constantly with a loud noise. Can someone please help me? Paul::confused:

View more questions Search