Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whiteladybug2002 Posts: 235, Reputation: 36

May 10, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Should I homeschool my children?
    I have recently decided to be a stay at home mom and am now considering homeschooling my three children (3rd - 6th grade). I homeschooled last semester, but I was also attending college full time. As you could imagine, things didn't go quite well. I was struggling between home, school, and homeschool and didn't accomplish much school work with the children. In January, I put the children in a private christian school, which we all love, but we can't really afford the cost of a full school year next year. I refuse to put my children in the local public school, tried it and it was BAD!

So now, I am reconsidering homeschooling my children again. I feel that I would have the time and dedication to do a better job, but I want to make sure I do it right!

I am looking for helpful opinions and suggestions to possibly homeschool my children. Such as schedules, curriculi, websites, books, videos, games, etc.

Plus, I would like to hear from homeschoolers to know how they make it all work.

Any opposing homeschooling... tell me your opinion too.

Thank everyone for your help.

God Loves You!
    gogosean Posts: 47, Reputation: 6

May 10, 2007, 07:14 PM
    If you have the time, go for it.

I used to be a high dollar tutor in graduate school. Many of our clients were home schooled. We identified very specific skill gaps and taught them the gaps.

I have a graduate degree in psych, so here is a bunch of babble...

Before you begin, make sure vision and hearing are tested.

I will not touch on the topic of learning disabilities. I studied learning, memory, and decision making. The MDs have the monopoly on learning disabilities.

You might want to look up a guy name Paiget. His research shows that children don't develop a formal way of thinking until about age 12.

This corresponds with other research that children's brains have "plasticity". They can learn better at these times than at any other time in their lives. Girls brains will be less plastic after they "mature" into young women. The horomonal changes cause the brain "lateralize". For boys, you guesed it, they don't mature as early as girls.

Christians home school at a much higher rate than the rest of the population. Topics like creationsim are barred from being taught due to church and state issues.

You are doing the sensible thing. Instead of fighting the system, a lot of people exit the system and get on with their lives.

Type in "home school" in Wikipedia and you will have links galore.

You will have to monitor their performance always. But...
    Around 6th grade, have your children comprehensively tested for skill gaps in Math and reading. If you do a rock solid job during the ages of 0-12, you might be able to get your kids a GED by age 16.

Every child is different. Some just won't complete high school until 18. So what? You will rest assured that your value system will be more intact for your children.

Good Luck!!

May 10, 2007, 09:31 PM
    Thank you much for your reply. I like your opinion and info!

Oh, I forgot to add that my son has ADHD. Since you mention learning disabilities, I thought I would add that.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 10, 2007, 09:57 PM
    First I do agree, the last place I would want my children is in most public schools today. When we lived in Atlatna, we even had teachers and administators tell us if we could at all, not to send the kids to the public school.

You did not metion your husband, home schooling is a family event, field trips and the such, and normally husband also being very supportive.
    Also there are various levels of home schooling, for example for our child now, we use a established program that has a set program, they grade exams, keep school records, and even have a school number you use when applying for colleges. There are many like this, where you are actually in their course, But others develop their own program, and the such.
    Also each state has its own laws about it, and you have to be sure to follow those laws ( but also be careful it is very common in the US for the local school boards to lie about required registering, and to ask for information not required by state law. ** there are dozens of law suits each week where home school parents hare having to sue the local school boards.

But you have to be ready for this to be a full time situation. And you will never get a break from the kids, so Dad has to be ready to watch kids while you go away for a break some evenings or weekends.

If you wanted to work part time to send your kids to the private school that could be a option also.

But in general home schooling is a great thing if you are ready for it, and can also provide other activities to allow socialization of the kids, ball teams, music classes, sport activities. Most areas have home school groups that meet and do joint activities.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

May 10, 2007, 10:27 PM
    I want to add routine is important. If your going to have school at home. Make sure that everyday, the same times. For example from 9 to 12. Then lunch, after that say 1 to 3. Do not let them take advantage of home time because there may be lots of distractions if not done properly. Home schooling is fine, but then on the other side of the coin. What about learning social skills if they are not in school with others.

What is so wrong with public school? I know that children at times are not treated right, but that is where parents and children learn problem solving and how to deal with pressures of life.

Just a thought anyway..

Good luck with homeschooling.

Joe
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 10, 2007, 11:00 PM
    Jesus helper, go into a McDonalds and ask one of the clerks to give you change without the cash register telling them the change,
    Do this about 10 times and I will bet you will figure out what is wrong with most public schools ( assuming larger cities)

But yes schedule, schedule and schedule, We do lessons on a 5 hour day, but then have sports activities 3 nights a week, and music and art twice a week, and we do field trips at least twice a month, farms, historic places, factories , radio stations and the such.
    But with that, social skills of knowing which kids are the drug dealers, which ones nromally carry weapons, which ones will be naked on the school bus. If you can ever be allowed to, go watch the video from a average school bus ride, It is terrifing, in two hours I saw 3 itmes get grabed from another kid and be thrown off the bus, one boy change his pants on the bus, two kids get hit and another couple get things stolen.
    And all of this was considered average and not enough for them to be concerned. ** that was a when one of my older boys was riding a bus, last day he ever rode a bus.
    And I was a sub teacher a about 8 years ago, in elementry school, and say a big difference in the better school distict, around the finer homes with more tax money, and the ones in the lower school districts also,
    The same problems we had with the racial inequality, is there today in the ecommonic inequality of the school systems.
    Uber Member

May 11, 2007, 02:08 AM
    Fr_Chuck,

I guess I am kind of ignorant, because I went to a public school growing up. Public schools here in canada are not really that bad. I guess, it all depends on where you live and what city your in. Not saying they are all good, but not all of them are as bad you state.

That is my view point from up here in Canada anyway.

Joe
    kamria Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

May 11, 2007, 02:11 AM
    I am homeschooled, I was in public school and it does no good,Homeschool the kids, and teach them about christ in your own house. Homeschool would let you spend more quality time with your children
    AW805 Posts: 283, Reputation: 43

May 11, 2007, 07:44 AM
    Hi Whiteladabug2002: I've raised two children, now young adults, and put them through Christian Schooling. Let me tell you a it is a bank buster. If I could do it all over again and had the opportunity to, I would home school. Anything but our public school system. Not only is our public education system failing but why put kids through that kind of peer pressure? I wanted my kids to be surrounded by other children whose families had the same values as ours.

Since I didn't homeschool, I don't have much to offer about that but check your local newspaper, most cities have mom support groups that homeschool.

May 11, 2007, 01:36 PM
    In the city I live in there is a wonder support group, I have been told, but I haven't checked into it yet. That is my next step. I have talked to a few local homeschooling parents in the area and all seem to be happy with it.

I do plan to get my children in extracurricular activities and be involved with the community, but I don't want to limit my children to just their age group. How is socializing with your own age group really helping you to become "socalized?" As an adult, I rarely deal with people my own age, in fact, they are usually older than me. I want my children to learn to be respectful of older people, but also know how to communicate with them and not feel intiminated.

Jesushelper, a lot of public American schools are very scary! Just recently I heard of a class (5th grade) in a school in California, I think, that the teacher left alone for just a short period and 4 or 5 students had sex. In class, while other students were there and I guess watching!! I have a 5th grader and I don't want this is happen!! Kids bring beer, drugs, condoms, and guns to school somewhere everyday. Most of the time, we never know it! It is just ugly!

Plus I have learned that my children tend to be followers and follow their friends, even if they know it is not right. That scares me! I feel like they need a little more guidance before I let them out in the world to fend for themselves in a wicked public school.
    Uber Member

May 11, 2007, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteladybug2002
    In the city I live in there is a wonder support group, I have been told, but I haven't checked into it yet. That is my next step. I have talked to a few local homeschooling parents in the area and all seem to be happy with it.

I do plan to get my children in extracurricular activites and be involved with the community, but I don't want to limit my children to just their age group. How is socializing with your own age group really helping you to become "socalized?" As an adult, I rarely deal with people my own age, in fact, they are usually older than me. I want my children to learn to be respectful of older people, but also know how to communicate with them and not feel intiminated.

Jesushelper, alot of public American schools are very scary!! Just recently I heard of a class (5th grade) in a school in California, I think, that the teacher left alone for just a short period of time and 4 or 5 students had sex. In class, while other students were there and I guess watching!!! I have a 5th grader and I don't want this is happen!!! Kids bring beer, drugs, condoms, and guns to school somewhere everyday. Most of the time, we never know it!! It is just ugly!

Plus I have learned that my children tend to be followers and follow their friends, even if they know it is not right. That scares me!! I feel like they need alittle more guidance before I let them out in the world to fend for themselves in a wicked public school.

That is sick that, that kind of sh-- is happening in public schools. There should be zero tolerance for that. It disgusts me to hear about stuff like that. The worse I have seen in public school. I had a teacher grab me by the arm forcefully and would not let me go. Also one time I had to stay in at lunch for my asthma medication. The substitute teacher asked me what I was doing. I said taking my medication. He grabbed me by the face. Pushed me down on to the chair and started to yell at me. I seen another teacher grab a student by the neck. Another one used a ruler. Those are my personal experiances. Oh, and a gang of people crowding me and cornering me and beating the shi- out of me. At the same time even with these personal experiances. I think it is important for children and teens to learn how to deal with these situations and grow and learn from them. I feel if certain people did not experience some rough experiances maybe the person I have become today would be different.

I do understand your point, and I want to say I wish you and your children the best at homeschooling. Each parent and each school is different. I just pray to God when My boy is old enough to start school that he will have good experiances and not bad ones.

Joe

May 11, 2007, 01:59 PM
    I think that we all have our bad experiences at school from our own childhood and yes we survived, but kids now day have more to worry with then we did. Kids are starting drugs younger and younger or alcohol, I don't even want to get on sex! I don't want my child to try a drug, because her friends were doing it, and her become a 15 yr old addict. That is everyday life for kids were I live.

Meth, crack, cocaine, prositution, alcohol, etc is accepted among a lot of teens now days and I don't want my children to accept that for themselves or their friends. Public school teachers can't watch all the children in school, it is impossible! Too many students and too little teachers!

Plus I am super overprotective! I was a married mom at 17 yrs old and had tried a lot of things I shouldn't have! I did not finish HS and didn't go to college until I was 22 yrs old. I suffered hard till now to make up for the mistakes I made in my teens and I don't want my children to suffer for theirs... not when I can prevent it! So I monitor everything with my children... tv, computer, phone calls, friends, etc! And the kids like it! Well for now at least. They enjoy knowing that I am watching. But my children are also educated, by me, about drugs, alcohol, sex, etc. I think that they would make the right choices if I wasn't looking, but they still need parental guidance!
    gogosean Posts: 47, Reputation: 6

May 11, 2007, 02:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteladybug2002
    Thank you much for your reply. I like your opinion and info!!

Oh, I forgot to add that my son has ADHD. Since you mention learning disabilities, I thought I would add that.

I will not coment about ADHD because it is considered a medical condition and I am not a doctor, but I will comment on how keeping the medical documentation can work in your favor quite a bit.

I used to tutor in a College Access Program, called CAPS.
    It was for people with learning disabilities. They got accommodations galore, like free tutoring , open book exams, untimed exam times and some even went to college for free from private grants.

The whole point of this is email is to deny any expertise in ADHD on my part, but at the same time, letting you know that this should be a part of the college application process.

If your child falls behind, there are some very good options, because even people without ADHD fall behind. There are college courses taught at a high school level. They will not count towards the college GPA, but they have to be tested out of and might be required for your student. So what? No big deal.

As far as home school and socialization goes, your chidlren might be schocked at how other children lead their lives. I went to parochial schools all my life and begged to attend a public school. When I did, it was just shocking. I could fill the Library of Congress with all the stories, but I want to finish this email.

Outside of culture shock, there is plenty of research to back up the following statement. The way a child interacts socially is mostly a function of their care givers. Good news for you!! Bad new for the kids shooting up under the stairs.

Some home school mothers and fathers join forces and literally home school en masse.

Good Luck!!

May 11, 2007, 02:15 PM
    Thank you gogosean for your comments and suggestions about ADHD.

My son is really intelligent, but a little hard to handle sometimes. He can be singing a song, picking his nose, fighting with his sister, and writing a story while I am trying to teach him how to multiply and you know what... he gets it! I wish I was that multitaskable! Lol
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2007, 02:53 PM
    I just wanted to ask if you had checked into an online academy? Some friends did that with their kids. I am not sure what the cost is - but each child would get there own computer and materials. They would set you up with extra activities so your kids can meet other homeschooled kids.
    Like I said, I am not sure of the cost - but it is an option.

May 11, 2007, 08:53 PM
    I have looked into online schooling, but I didn't like something's about that.

1) Cost is a little high

2) Kids staring at computer all day instead of interacting with other real people

3) They have a somewhat strict curriculum that doesn't give much time for anything other than what they are teaching. Ex.. if I wanted my children to learn about all the Presidents, there would be no time because of their curriculum.

Online schooling is a good alternative for some people, but I have my above reasons against it. Thank you for the opinion though!
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2007, 05:51 AM
    I am glad that you have checked it out. I applaud you for taking on this task. I only have one child and the thought of homeschooling - not pleasant. We would probably kill each other. So if you can do it - I think that is great.

I was also thinking about resources last night and thought about the teacher supply stores or education stores. The one by us is called the school box (or something like that). You don't have to be a teacher to shop there - but they have all kinds of things available.
    I am sure you have come across these - but thought I would put it out there.
    Jeanna Wolfe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 08:25 PM
    I graduated from a homeschool I only went my last two years of high school . I am 25 years old and trying to get into a college to further my education. The problem is now the school is closed and I can't find my transcripts for those two years. That means I can't get into college until either someone finds my transcripts or I have to take a GED ! Which really upsets me because I have a diploma! So if your kids are interested in going to college which I'm sure they are , I would definitely check into if this school is accredited. I asked the pastor over my school if I would be able to get into college and he said,"yes". Well now I'm really upset because I can't ! So I would make sure the school is going to be open for a while and make sure the colleges in your area are going to accept the credits. In all actuality though, I would not recommend it for anyone , just from experience.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2009, 12:33 PM
    ADHD?

I'm no expert. But I know one couple whose child was expelled from public school because of a case of ADHD. It was a God send for them. They took the rest of their children out of public school and home schooled all three. As it has been recounted to me, they can't figure out why their son was labeled.

Perhaps all he needed was the extra personal attention, understanding and love that only parents can provide.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteladybug2002 View Post
    I have recently decided to be a stay at home mom
    Good for you.

and am now considering homeschooling my three children (3rd - 6th grade). I homeschooled last semester, but I was also attending college full time. As you could imagine, things didn't go quite well. I was struggling between home, school, and homeschool and didn't accomplish much school work with the children. In January, I put the children in a private christian school, which we all love, but we can't really afford the cost of a full school year next year. I refuse to put my children in the local public school, tried it and it was BAD!
    Same here. We considered it for our four, but there is no way we could afford it.

So now, I am reconsidering homeschooling my children again. I feel that I would have the time and dedication to do a better job, but I want to make sure I do it right!

I am looking for helpful opinions and suggestions to possibly homeschool my children. Such as schedules, curriculi, websites, books, videos, games, etc.

Plus, I would like to hear from homeschoolers to know how they make it all work.

Any opposing homeschooling... tell me your opinion too.

Thank everyone for your help.

God Loves You!
    My wife and I have homeschooled (primarily she) two children cradle through high school. Neither wanted to attend college, although one of them is reconsidering and may attend college next year. If so, she is well prepared to do so. The other is in ministry in Australia.

My two younger ones are still in home school.

How did we do it? On a shoe string.

Materials

We purchased used books from Catholic Schools, private schools, used bookstores and libraries.
    We purchased inexpensive workbooks and curriculums from Walmart, used bookstores and other homeschoolers.

Our state dictates what curriculum we must teach at a minimum. Essentially the three r's plus civics. We added religion, history, science and electives to that basic curriculum.

Area
    Kitchen table. Library in garage.

Schedules

We were pretty strict, initially. We would all wake up at 5am and go to communion service or early Mass. That is part of their religion since each service includes a Bible reading plus many prayers.

Our Church was 15 minutes away so we included prayer on the way over. And trivia games on the way home. You can find these at any Walmart or supermarket. At least here in the US.

We would come home and prepare breakfast. If old enough, the children assist with the cooking. Otherwise they assist with the cleaning and preparing the table.

Then the curriculum, one hour for each subject. Break for lunch. Continue until two. Then out to play.

We're not quite as strict anymore.

Now we wake up about 7. Go to mass at 9. Come back and eat breakfast. Then school starts. The children should be through by 2 or 3.

On the other hand. After 15 years of homeschooling, we've seen quite a bit of different styles. We were lucky enough that our next door neighbors were also homeschoolers. They more laid back then we are now. They'd start school about after lunch. But their children were academically gifted. They learned to play several instruments and their son has received a full scholarship to a prestigious university.

Or maybe we did it wrong? Who knows. All I care is that my children have grown up to be responsible adults who love God.

My own sister is homeschooling now.

She began home schooling because the teachers complained that my niece always finished her work quickly and then talked to the other students. They therefore considered her disruptive. But instead of advancing her, the teachers felt that they should recommend ridlin (is that how its spelled?).

She's a single parent. She basically assigns homework when she comes home in the evening. Then checks the homework when she comes home the next evening.

Her child is very intelligent and has no trouble grasping ideas simply by reading them herself.

Oh and there are help groups. On Wednesdays, my children attend "Holy House". Basically a group of Catholic homeschoolers who band together to share their knowledge with our children.
    tyra1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2010, 08:36 AM
    I think you should put your children on home school as long as there getting the same education they would in school it shoudnt matter. I am acually considering putting my child on home school she hates fayette county schools. Do you know what you tell the board of education why you want to put you kid on home school
    Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

His children over me? [ 12 Answers ]

I need help because when we are on the phone, if one of his children calls... its an immediate hangup... Give me advise for felling so down on his list.

Children [ 4 Answers ]

This may sound strange, but I am currently living in a long term shelter with my two beautifull boys. I have always wanted to be in the army and have recently started to sighn up, under the impression that my sisters would help me with my kids. Now for whatever reason they can't, my mom is too sick...

Children, Step-children, Niece: What a mess! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am in desperate need of clarity and advise. I am 41, mother of 2 daughters, 3 step-kids and 1 niece. My 2 daughters 18 and 15 live with me and my husband and so does my husbands niece, 15 also. My 3 step kids are all over 23 with their own places. My husbands niece has been thrown from...

After children? [ 17 Answers ]

After a women gives birth to a few children does she get "wider". I am just wondering. I am with a guy now, who is pretty small but that is not a problem at the moment anyway. But what would happen if we stayed together, and got married and had a few children? Would I become bigger down there? And...

View more questions Search