Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 11, 2007, 08:28 AM
    Just going to post the math.

You start with 6 ounces in each glass. You move one ounce of red into the white.

The white glass now has 6 ounces white and 1 ounce red. The red glass has 5 ounces red.

Then you move one ounce back. This one ounce contains 1/7 ounce red and 6/7 ounce white. (the proportions that are in the white glass)

So, subtracting this from the white glass we have 6/7 ounce red and 5 1/7 ounce white.

Adding to the red glass we have 5 1/7 ounce red and 6/7 ounce white.

They are both contaminated by the same amount! It's unintuitive until you actually do the math :)
    pikachufannumber1 Posts: 98, Reputation: 6

Aug 16, 2007, 11:15 PM
    Um I would say that the one that was originally all red was contaminated more.
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2007, 11:29 PM
    (psst check the solution above your post) :)

Aug 17, 2007, 11:57 AM
    OK capuchin. The way I dd it it cam eout that the red was more contaminated but whatever.
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2007, 12:15 PM
    Can you see a flaw in my working? I'd like you to point out where I am wrong.
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Aug 17, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Ah, Capuchin. You are mathematically correct. But given that red wine is far superior to white, wouldn't the white glass be 5 1/7 ounces contaminated with only 6/7 ounces of good?:p
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 12:20 PM
    Isn't this question from forever ago? I remember this from when I first started I think. ;)

Aug 17, 2007, 03:00 PM
    No need to get mad capuchin. In my weird mind it cam eout the red is more ontaminated. Bbut you are probably corredt. I don't wish to work it out write now. I got it wrong. Oh well.
    Lenovo Posts: 180, Reputation: 14

Aug 27, 2007, 05:39 PM
    Contami- wha? HEY! The glasses are empty *BURP* whooo! Uh, they are both comtomintated he he he he *falls over*

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Red Wine [ 5 Answers ]

After I open a bottle of red wine how should it be stored and for how long will it be good?

Rose Wine [ 41 Answers ]

Ok, I'm a wine whimp, I know. The only kind I like is mellow stuff like Rosé. My dad calls it fruit juice :p Knowing this, what kind of wine might you suggest I try?

Wine [ 3 Answers ]

I don't drink, so all wine tastes the same to me. However, I do cook with it. IF a cake recipe calls for sherry or brandy, which of the following would be the closest to it. Cabernet sauvegon, burgundy, chadonnay, marsala, maderia. I have all these but not sherry or brandy.

Cooking with wine [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Does anyone know why when cooking with wine my sauce comes out bitter. Is it because I didn't cook long enough? David

View more questions Search