Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maxim Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

May 10, 2007, 12:45 PM
    I feel bad
    I have been at the same job for 10 years... I have recently found out that I have COPD and that because of previos accidents I am unable to do my job to its full extent... I gave my notice but now I feel like I have let my boss down... I am so confused... I culd do the work but my body would not like it... and the smoke would make my lungs worse... any input??
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2007, 12:54 PM
    You did the right thing, you can always find something else that will interest you. As for your boss being let down, he/she will get over it. I am so sorry about your injuries. You wouldn't want to chance getting hurt worse would you? He/she will understand if not right now, soon. Let it be for a bit, you did do the right thing! Good luck!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 10, 2007, 09:57 PM
    I agree with the answer above. Also, just would like to add that some people change careers in their lives many times. You have already had 10 years of working for this company. Ten years is a long time to work for someone and looks really good on a resume or application to another potential employer.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2007, 10:17 PM
    COPD is a serious illness. Your primary concern MUST be your own health! The goal is to reduce your symptoms and if that means leaving your job, then that is what you must do. There is no cure for COPD, so the best that you can do is to do everything within your power to slow the progress of the disease.

While I understand that you might feel that you are letting your boss down, please consider the alternative - you would be letting yourself down... with very serious consequences. If you still feel guilty, then give your boss some information on COPD. I am sure they would agree that it is the best thing for you to stop working there.

Please look after yourself!

Hugs, Didi
    MissAdvice Posts: 63, Reputation: 9
    -

May 10, 2007, 10:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by maxim
    i have been at the same job for 10 years...i have recently found out that i have COPD and that because of previos accidents i am unable to do my job to its full extent...i gave my notice but now i feel like i have let my boss down...i am so confused...i culd do the work but my body would not like it...and the smoke would make my lungs worse...any input???
    Sorry to hear your bad news, but there are some options to this, quitting doesn't have to be your final option if you want to continue. Perhaps you can take some personal leave time while considering better medications, or natural herbs, as in holistic medicines. Another option may be a work at home position if at all possible. I realize COPD is a serious disorder, but many people have serious cases of asthma and work steadily. My grand dad have cancer which went into remission, therefore move forward with HOPE.
    MissAdvice Posts: 63, Reputation: 9
    -

May 10, 2007, 10:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MissAdvice
    Sorry to hear your bad news, but there are some options to this, quitting doesnt have to be your final option if you want to continue. Perhaps you can take some personal leave time while considering better medications, or natural herbs, as in holistic medicines. Another option may be a work at home position if at all possible. I realize COPD is a serious disorder, but many people have serious cases of asthma and work steadily. My grand dad have cancer which went into remission, therefore move forward with HOPE.
    Please look at the donut and not just the hole, have you consider my other option to work from home. Hiv is a very serious disease but many people have lived as long as 20 years with it. I am a woman who have overcome many things in my life, and i believe with jesus all things are possible.
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2007, 11:05 PM
    Miss Advice: You had no reason to disagree with my response. Obviously you do not know much about COPD. I stand behind my original advice. Maxim should not continue to work at this job if the job would expose maxim to smoke. Being exposed to smoke can considerably reduce the life of a person with COPD. I know of what I speak. I have lost someone to COPD and I have worked with people with COPD.

It appears that you are attempting to say that Jesus will cure maxim? People with COPD do not 'get better'. While I am a firm believer in faith, you don't tempt things by continuing to work in an environment that will kill you! We all bear some responsibility in our own fate.

Didi
    chaplain john Posts: 79, Reputation: 28

May 10, 2007, 11:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MissAdvice
    PLEASE LOOK AT THE DONUT AND NOT JUST THE HOLE, HAVE YOU CONSIDER MY OTHER OPTION TO WORK FROM HOME. HIV IS A VERY SERIOUS DISEASE BUT MANY PEOPLE HAVE LIVED AS LONG AS 20 YEARS WITH IT. I AM A WOMAN WHO HAVE OVERCOME MANY THINGS IN MY LIFE, AND I BELIEVE WITH JESUS ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE.
    MissAdvice
    Re-read the original post it does not say HIV it says COPD a totally different disease.
    I have one quick question for Maxim... Does your Doctor say that your job has contributed to your disease? If he does you should not walk to the nearest exit YOU SHOULD RUN FOR IT and talk with an attorney about disability.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 10, 2007, 11:17 PM
    First I guess I will go against the rest of the postes, you did not say what your job was, and what type of business this is. There are 1000's of people with COPD that work and have productive lives, with some accomidations on the job.

So after 10 years on the job did you go talk to the boss about another job that you may be able to do, or some accomidations on your job that would allow you to keep working, The ADA is all about laws and rules that help workers with disabilities find and keep jobs.
    And often a business owner may be friends or know other owners who they will recommend you to, if you just ask.

By the way COPD is very seroius, depending on its level, and while of course Jesus can do anything, we are expected to do what is best for us, till he does.
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2007, 11:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    first I guess I will go against the rest of the postes, you did not say what your job was, and what type of business this is. There are 1000's of people with COPD that work and have productive lives, with some accomidations on the job.
    OP did say "... the smoke would make my lungs worse." in addition to the statement "... because of previous accidents i am unable to do my job to its full extent". If the poster had not mentioned "the smoke would make my lungs worse" I, too, would have suggested alternate duties. However, based upon the information given, it sounds like the environment at work is not conducive to maintaining good health.

Didi
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 10, 2007, 11:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by grammadidi
    OP did say "... the smoke would make my lungs worse." in addition to the statement "... because of previous accidents i am unable to do my job to its full extent". If the poster had not mentioned "the smoke would make my lungs worse" I, too, would have suggested alternate duties. However, based upon the information given, it sounds like the environment at work is not conducive to maintaining good health.

Didi
    It just makes a difference if they allow smoking in a office, or they work in a bar. In a office, they may well have to give them a smoke free area or ban smoking as part of an accomidation, and I would assume the boss was OK, with the work after the several accidents often the pressure put on us at work is our own pressure. In many of my jobs we had to give employees all sorts of accomidations, from special desks, to smoke fee work areas to breathing masks ( in chemical areas but everyone should have had those there )
    I hate to see people quit jobs unless they just have to.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 11, 2007, 12:46 AM
    I was not able to rate your original response, Didi. So, I am doing it this way. I do want to say that I always appreciate your honest, informative and forthright answers directed at a poster's original question.
    maxim Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

May 11, 2007, 08:04 AM
    Thank-you to everyone who responded... your input helps a lot. I don't feel so bad now.
    To the one that wanted to know what kind of work I am in; it is in a bar where smoking is still allowed, there is no other job there that I could do without being around the smoke.
    Thanks again everyone... for everything.
    ( Hugs back at you Grammadidi )

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad luck, bad karma, or bad self-esteem? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently heard once again a comment I've heard many, MANY times over the past several years: "You and your husband have worse luck than anyone else I know!" and I have one question: "Why is that?" You see, just about the time we get to the point we can manage to keep up on all our monthly...

Does he feel at all? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been going out with my boyfreind for about 3 months total, and he doesn't really like to show emotion at all. He kind of smirks sometimes but that's it pretty much, he has built a wall around his emotions because I think someone hurt him in the past but I'm not quite sure at all. I have...

How does she feel? [ 6 Answers ]

Hey my ex contacted me through an online game service w/voice last month and now I hope someone can tell me how she feels. I emailed her saying she could talk to me through email and she emailed back with some odd comments but generally in a good mood she said she would talk to me later. So I...

Should I feel bad, am I off base? [ 19 Answers ]

My boyfriend (of 17 months) got together with his almost exwife and grown children for Christmas and they all exchanged gifts. I know that she wants him back, but I am sure he does not want to get back with her. I didn't mind the gathering because it is being good to his kids. After the...

Should I feel bad? [ 2 Answers ]

Well I've been on again off again with this same guy for about 3 years now.. although our relationship efforts never seem to work, I guess cause we're both so much alike and stubborn we both care about each other a lot. Through these years we've both attempted seeing other people, but for some...

View more questions Search