Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iamarcin Posts: 72, Reputation: 4

May 10, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Bought shrubs/trees over internet - how to care for them
    Hello.

I recently bought Privet Hedges from the internet. The web address for the store is - (Fruit trees, nut trees, shade trees, plants, ground cover, shrubs, rose bushes, hedges and more – Autumn Ridge Nursery)
    The 100 hedges and 10 trees came in a cardboard package about 5 inches round and 5 feet wide. Roots packaded in ice and newspaper. I took them out that night and soked them in water for the whole night and planted most the first day rest the second day. The things are baisicaly twogs with some root and a few had some branches and leaves but not much. Most people told me they won't grow or it will thake a long time. But they are supposed to grow 3' per year and I have some time.

The site and customer support does not have much info about how to care for these srubs. I asked at my local home depot and they said to add some 10-5-10 fertilizer to the soil and water a lot. I live in long islan ny and have densely compacted low nutient(yellow) soil underneath but I addes some mulch(wood chips) than some good soil over wood chips and planted them in that. From the internet I found that it's the same as trees don't add fertilizer because it might burn the roots and don't over water or they will rot. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

In case anyone is interested this is another site which sells similar products for less than the one I used. I haven't tried it yet though.
    Direct Gardening

I should warn about these 2 online stores because I looked at ( Garden Watchdog: The scoop on 'Autumn Ridge Nursery' ) which is supposedly a unbiased site which alows peaople to post reviews about online nurseries and they got not so good reviews. 50/50 for autumn ridge and 25% positive 75% ( Garden Watchdog: The scoop on 'Direct Gardening' )negative about directgardening from posts. I am satisfied with my order from autumn ridge.

Thank you.

Please stop posting lawnmower help in the gardening and lawn section. There is a tools and power equipment section that it should go into.
    iamarcin Posts: 72, Reputation: 4

May 10, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Seriously any help would be great.

Eaven if you only have a green thumbnail than your input would be apreciated
    agrarian Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2007, 01:51 PM
    Depending on what the ratio of roots to top growth is you may need to prune the top a little. You do not want to overwhelm the roots by too much foliage on a newly planted/potted plant. The roots may not be able to keep up with the water demands of the foliage and the whole plant will suffer.

The first year or so, depending on the environment and the species planted, is when the plant should become established in your yard. After this establishment the plants root system will be able to support a larger top.

Do not put many uncomposted wood chips in your soil when planting plants as the further decomposition of the wood chips will tie up nitrogen and reduce availibility to your plants. Use a slow release fertilizer on the soil surface around the base of each plant. Osmocote is a brand name of one slow release fertilizer. You can find it in Home Depot.

Concerning water needs. Most plants will get root rots if the soil in the root zone is saturated for lengthy periods. The soil around the plants roots should be moist but not saturated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Care values of care workers when communicating [ 1 Answers ]

health and social care help :confused: can someone tell me how to promote anti-discrimination to recognise cultural differences to acknowledge service users personal beliefs and identities r care values of care workers when communicating in their day-to-day tasks :confused:

Is this bug eating my shrubs? [ 5 Answers ]

I have several shrubs and bushes that have been eaten up and I'm not sure what is eating it and how to fight it! The leaves have holes and big chunks missing. The plants are suffering quite a bit. Some of them even turning black in spots! Lately I've come across an earworm so I thought that might...

Juniper Shrubs [ 2 Answers ]

When is the best time to prune Juniper shrubs. Is early spring to late?

Bought new briggs 12 hp with no instructions (need Help) [ 1 Answers ]

Had a 34 ton log splitter with 9 hp engine. Engine wore out. Went to place I bought the log splitter 5 years ago (Tractor Supply) and they recommended a B&S 12 hp replacement. They had one left, the floor model. No manual, no key, nothing but the beautiful new engine no gas tank (which I...

View more questions Search