Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 10, 2007, 06:22 AM
    How to add someone to your deed
    Thank you L. for sharing this:

To add a person to a deed you must prepare a new deed with all current owners listed as the seller, and all current owners plus the new person listed as the buyer. Then you must insert the legal description of the property. All current owners must sign the deed with a witness and notary. The last requirement is that the deed must be recorded in the office of the clerk or register of the county where the property is located.

We strongly recommend that you have this handled by a real estate attorney or title agency. It shouldn't be expensive and this way you can make sure that it's done properly. If you do it yourself and make even a little mistake then it can be very difficult and costly to fix. For example, many times people have tried to do it themselves and have ended up transferring the property completely to the other person instead of just adding that person.

You should also be aware that, if there is a mortgage on the property, then it is very likely that the filing of any type of deed will be a violation of the terms of the mortgage. You may need to get permission from the lender to do this type of transfer.

Finally, there may be tax implications as a result of the transfer. That's another very good reason to speak to a real estate attorney instead of attempting to do this yourself.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it best to add my name to the deed [ 3 Answers ]

Both my parents' names are listed on the deed. My father is deceased, my mother (82 yrs old) is in a nursing home. Taxes are owed on the property. I & my family presently live in the home, I am in the process of catching up the property taxes. What are the ramifications of having my deceased...

Add my name on my husband deed [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Philadelphia, PA and married for about 3 years. I want to add my name on my husband deed (he wanted me to do that too). How do we do it?

How do I add my husband to my deed [ 0 Answers ]

I live in California and I want to add my husband onto my house deed. My home is in my name and it is also in my own trust. I created my trust that says my husband gets my entire trust if living when I die... he has his own trust as well. However, I still want to add his name to the deed. How...

Add my name to deed? [ 4 Answers ]

How do I as spouse add my name to our house deeds

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search