Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 10, 2007, 05:06 AM
    Stupid Animal.
    Okay, so now puppy is OBSESSED with looking into the garden.

He lays in front of the patio windows and looks out into the garden all day. Whenever he sees anything suspicious, he'll run to the back door to get let out so he can chase it.

This isn't much of a bother, but we've been having a wet period and it gets so tiresome to let him out and then have to let him in and dry him off and clean him up when he comes in.

I've tried closing the curtais to the patio door, he just sits behind the curtains. I've tried closing the door to the room, he just stands in another room looking up at the tree for birds.

Whenever anyone in the house says "what's that?", he goes running to the back door thinking that we are talking about something in the garden.

He's absolutely nuts. We're trying to tell him NO whenever he goes to the door for the purpose of chasing something. However we have him trained to go to the door if he needs to go out for other reasons too.

Is there any other way you can think of to discorage him from wanting what I'm sure is just him trying to protect us.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 10, 2007, 05:19 AM
    You are between a rock and a hard spot I guess. Can you distract him with toys, throw a ball when you see him doing his watching bit? It must be frustrating for him too, yet a learning period as well. Puppies may want the universe but can't have it for obvious reasons. Yes, I see what you mean, you can't disuade him from going to the back door if you have trained him to go their when he wants out to do his business.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 10, 2007, 09:02 AM
    The dog needs more to do. Having to have something to do is more typical of say a Border collie than a Lab, but dogs don't read breed descriptions and often fail to follow them. Start obedience training if you haven't. Walks are good. Play fetch. A half hour of madly chasing a ball is better than an hour walk. There are all sorts of things to do with a dog beyond obedience training, agility, fly ball, earthing, etc. You may have different things than we do. Check with your kennel club for activities.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Cappy, what labman is saying will help. Your dog is still young and has a lot of energy. He needs to be actively engaged. What he is doing is very normal. He knows that when he goes to the door, you will open it. So, now YOU (& family) need to train yourself in how to recognize when he really needs to relieve himself, or when he is just reacting to something outside and looking to entertain himself. It takes a while to recognize his signals. You shouldn't just let him outside when he "asks." You are the alpha. You dictate the rules and set the boundaries. You decide when he should go outside. Keeping him on a regular "potty" schedule trains him and his body to understand when it is time to relieve himself. I think if you haven't started formal training classes, it would be a good thing to do. It is a lot of fun and creates a wonderful bonding experience for you and your dog.
    cjcdallas Posts: 63, Reputation: 6

May 10, 2007, 07:15 PM
    Sounds like he has you guys trained perfectly... LOL...
    This dog needs more running or walking whichever you prefer. You can still play a little ball in the house to tire him out...
    Good luck...
    Uber Member

May 10, 2007, 10:30 PM
    He gets played with constantly.
    bikerguy Posts: 87, Reputation: 13

May 10, 2007, 11:09 PM
    He is having fun, guarding you from ANY free leaf that may get away and cause harm, any snail moving ,it's the doggies job! Don't discourage him. Just making sure no stray bird gets onto his turf. No worrys! LOL
    Uber Member

May 11, 2007, 12:15 AM
    Thank you for your answers :)
    Uber Member

May 12, 2007, 05:18 AM
    He seems to be paying much less attention to the garden this weekend :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Am I being stupid? [ 9 Answers ]

I went out with this guy last year April and we went for six months,the relationship was good cause I used to be with this guy 24/7,he made sure that every time he came back from work he came to see me no matter what,but now ever since I've moved out things have changed between the two of us(we...

Stupid, Stupid Me. [ 13 Answers ]

So I had unprotected sex with someone I knew for a day. I am usually very good about these things but things just got out of control. She went back to the states and I haven't talked to her since nor do I have a way to. I pulled out before I finished but then we continued after that. My question...

I must be really stupid! [ 2 Answers ]

hey! I'm abbie I'm new @ this website I've got a test in Algebra II tmrw and my mind is completely blank! I don't remember at all how to do this problem!! Please help?! Simplify the following. 27^√18 ∙ 81^√50

View more questions Search