Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Juicyjuiceboy01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2007, 06:38 PM
    Wwiring from a 220 to a 110 plug (and an extra wire)
    I just bought a dryer, thinking that I had a dryer outlet, only to realize that I don't. I bought a 3 prong plug, for a normal wall socket (and I know that if it works at all, it will not be that efficent) and when I went to strip the wires on the plug, I found out that there where 4 wires in the dryer plug (red, white, black, and green). I was wondering if anyone could help me out as to what wires go where in the 110 plug (it has a green, silver, and gold spot for wires). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2007, 06:46 PM
    I would't advise that you put a 120 volt plug on a dryer. Why can't you return the plug and get the right one?
    RetiredNavy Posts: 63, Reputation: 8

May 9, 2007, 06:48 PM
    Attempting that will be a "Shocking" and or "Firey".
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2007, 06:52 PM
    I hope you didn't give too much for the dryer if you continue in that direction you WILL ruin it.
    myoldhouse Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 06:31 PM
    First, breakers off, and test for no power (you have a tester?)
    Do you have a dedicated 220v plug for the dryer? If not, you cannot convert to a standard 120v appliance cord and make the dryer work properly. Lowe's or Home Depot or some such would sell the correct surface mount receptacle for this, as well as the corresponding 6' power cord to plug into it.
    The black and red wires are each 110/120v legs of a three-phase circuit, the white is a neutral, and the green should be a ground, HOWEVER, you could KILL yourself or at the least cause a huge electrical short if you attempt to improperly wire such voltage. Hopefully in the last couple of days you have either gotten good advice or engaged professional help. Good luck.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 02:54 AM
    Since most electric dryers need a 30 amp 120/240 volt circuit, you need to install a complete new 30 amp circuit, with a 2 pole 30 amp circuit breaker, #10 cable with 4 wires, and the 30 amp 4 wire receptacle.

Any attempt to use any existing 120 volt outlet or circuit will not work, and will cause serious problems if you do manage to connect somehow.
    JackT Posts: 260, Reputation: 19

May 15, 2007, 07:07 PM
    I agree, I have never seen a dryer that can be changed from 230 volts to 120 volts just by replacing the plug. There should be a tag on the dryer indicating what the correct voltage, amperage and/or wattage is for your dryer. Injury and fire can occur if not properly connected.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater 110 or 220 [ 10 Answers ]

Looking to buy a kenmore 20 gallon water heater.110 has 2000 watt element 220 has 4000 element.I was told either way they will use the same amount of electric just the 220 will heat up more quick .Is this the case.I ask because sister said she had a 110 dryer once and electric went through the...

220 to 110 [ 7 Answers ]

I'm wanting to run a 110 outlet off my 220 serface unit how do I go about doing this?:confused:

110 vs. 220 wiring... [ 7 Answers ]

I bought a table saw at an estate sale. I got a good deal on it! I noticed after I got the saw home (I looked at it before I bought it, but didn't look close enough) and realized the plug appears to be a 220 plug. This won't work for me as I'm limited to 110; I'm a renter. The plug has 3...

Change 220 motor to 110 [ 6 Answers ]

After I have changed the motor per the diagram on the motor do I have to change the way the cord(plug in) is attached to the motor in any way? Can I just change the plug in to adapt to a 110 outlet?

Getting 110 from 220 [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3-wire 220V going to my well house. I am wanting to come off the 220 to a 110 outlet. I realize this is not the safest thing to do but it is only temporary. My question is, I know I use one wire so I cut let's say the white wire and connect it to one side of this GFI outlet, Do I connect...

View more questions Search