Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maus Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2005, 06:05 PM
    Antique Riding Mower?
    :confused: I bought an old Montgomery Wards riding mower at an auction the other day, but I don't know what kind it is, the name was painted over. It is a Model ZYJ 48A. Does anyone know anything about it?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2005, 09:02 PM
    I have no idea what kind etc it is, but if you can get up with a small engine shop they might help you. Have you tried searching the web around about it in specialty forums etc for just mowers, there's many around
    Sorry I can't help any more but if it's a engine problem, you get the engine #'s and not use the riders #'s unless needed
    maus Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2005, 07:33 AM
    :) I have tried quite a few sites, even tried writing to Montgomery Wards, but they did not keep any records when they went to catalog sales. The mower is just a seat and steering wheel on a mowing deck with a rear engine, if that would help. Looks like an early Simplicity but they say no. It does start, but seems to have a trick to start it up. If anyone else has any ideas I would be greatfull. :D
    dotson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2005, 04:33 PM
    Antique riding mower
    Maus
    I just saw your request for information regarding a Montgomery Wards riding
    Mower. I picked up serial no ZYJ1398 last summer. Mine is a MW 8 also
    Says transaxle 8 on the hood. The one I found is like new and still has all of its original paint. It is cream and gold If you think a picture would help, I can take
    One and send it to you. Mine is a small tractor with the engine in the front.
    Larry Dotson
    MontgomeryWardFreak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2006, 01:54 AM
    Hello I have the manual for model ZYJ 1398 A. If you would like a copy I could send it.
    Charles
    I am curious to see what dotson's MW looks like.
    shadowhawk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2007, 06:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dotson
    Maus
    I just saw your request for information regarding a Montgomery Wards riding
    mower. I picked up serial no ZYJ1398 last summer. Mine is a MW 8 also
    says transaxle 8 on the hood. The one I found is like new and still has all of its original paint. It is cream and gold If you think a picture would help, I can take
    one and send it to you. Mine is a small tractor with the engine in the front.
    Larry Dotson
    :confused: I'm puzzled Please Help me

I recently(today ) got a weird old old old mower no name or anything but on the engine it has a model number v50 600c2e and a serial number I have no idea what it is but looks like a simplicity bradly or swisher and looks to be about 1910 or 1920 here is the serial number 6349 104533 by the way I would love to see some pics of yours if you don't care it sounds like mine kind of at least the setup [email protected]
    Lawnmower Man Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2007, 07:44 PM
    [QUOTE=MontgomeryWardFreak] I recently purchased a Montgomery Wards Riding Tractor Model # ZYJ-1439A Serial Number 47X-2224. This is a 42 inch deck side discharge model. I need an engine to deck belt and have no idea the size or part number. (It was missing off the tractor when purchased) Any help would be appreciated Thanks... Terry
    appealingpit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 01:38 PM
    What you have is an Montgomery Ward riding lawnmower. There very reliable and most parts are universal. The usual problem I have is try to find mower deck blades. I do recommend to right down the part number when you do find the correct blades and by spares if you have a real hard time getting them.
    The serial number on my parts Montgomery wards is 27x - 1845
    I hope this helps you. :)
    Lawnmower Man Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2009, 07:16 AM

Thanks for you input. I did get the parts I needed to fix my lawnmower and have since sold it. Terry

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

MTD Riding Mower [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings All, I have an MTD 12hp 36inch cut riding mower that I just bought as a spare. I was told it needed a new battery so I bought and installed it. Problem is when I try to start it I get a whining or "spinning" sound. I'm far from being a mechanic BUT it sounds like a starter and or...

Riding Mower Problem [ 1 Answers ]

My son has an old Lawn Chief riding mower that he purchased used. I finally got it started, but had to do so by shorting out the solenoid with a screwdriver to get it to turn over. Are any manuals available for these lawn mowers? The other idea I had was to put in a heavy duty push button...

MTD 18 HP riding mower won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Have a 18 Hp MTD mower which won't start. Does not get gas, tank full, new gas filter, and new spark plugs. Has two kill switches on it.

AYP Riding Mower Transmission [ 1 Answers ]

Hi; I have 42" deck AYP riding mower. Today it started jerking when putting it in gear and not wanting to go forward unless I hold the brake slightly depressed. I took the back plate off and noticed that the drive pulley was real wobbbly. Is this cause by a bad bearing or shim and is it repairable...

Riding lawn mower [ 6 Answers ]

I have 1/2 acre of lawn and wish to replace an old Craftsman mower. Sears advertises a 17-HP Kohler Pro engine, 42 inch lawn tractor for $1200.00. Is this a good value, and do you recommend Craftsman lawn tractors? Thanks!

View more questions Search