Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Delilah P Posts: 82, Reputation: 14

May 9, 2007, 05:21 PM
    SHould you be legally separated before filing for/or while filing for divorce?
    What is the advantage of being legally separated while filing for divorce? Common sense tells me that a separation PRIOR to a divorce is to afford a couple some time to possibly reconcile before filing for divorce. But, if you went straight for a divorce, would you need to file for a separation? If you never filed for separation and went straight for filing for divorce, could you legally begin dating other people during the waiting time? To make a long question shorter.. in the eyes of the law (and someone's religion), arent't you still LEGALLY married until the divorce is final? SO, it would be as if you are cheating if you begin dating while the divorce is still going through the courts?
    gogosean Posts: 47, Reputation: 6

May 9, 2007, 05:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Delilah P
    What is the advantage of being legally separated while filing for divorce? Common sense tells me that a separation PRIOR to a divorce is to afford a couple some time to possibly reconcile before filing for divorce. But, if you went straight for a divorce, would you need to file for a separation? If you never filed for separation and went straight for filing for divorce, could you legally begin dating other people during the waiting time? To make a long question shorter .. in the eyes of the law (and someones religion), arent't you still LEGALLY married until the divorce is final?? SO, it would be as if you are cheating if you begin dating while the divorce is still going through the courts?
    Some jurisdictions require a separation period before divorce. Some jurisdictions will allow you to claim that you were "living seperate lives" for a certain amount of time, but you both have testify to the "seperate lives" petition. They will apply the time you spent as "seperate lives" to the time required for separation. In some jursidictions, the fact that you are dating someone else is of no concern to the court. The concept that you are trying to capture with the term "cheating" is often irrelevant to a judge.

For most of us, marriage is two contracts. One is a sacred contract, and the law often does not dip into the area of what is often described as sacred. The other contract is a secular contract, a legal contract that creates the concept of community property.

Before you go the attorney, document your relevant assets. Try and find objective proof of what was yours before you were married, and what was not yours before you were married.

If you both agree to the asset questions, your divorce will be dirt cheap.

If you are battling over a larger pool of assets, it will be expensive.

Good luck.

May 10, 2007, 05:06 PM
    Since the couple skipped the separation and went straight for a divorce, does the divorce proceeding 'sort of' cover the legality of a separation? The man is still living with his wife during the divorce proceeding, yet dating another woman at the same time (my friend).
    gogosean Posts: 47, Reputation: 6

May 10, 2007, 05:55 PM
    At the very least, him dating another person will constitute "living seperate lives". I am not sure if your question is concerned with morality or legality. If it is concerned with morality, I will not have anything to share with you. If your friend is already filing for divorce, then the attorney should be able to answer the legal questions. The main question is, what is the preoccupation with legal separation? Do you think that a judge will care about this when it comes to dividing community property or custody? If so, ask the attorney, because your state's divorce laws are unique. Good luck.

May 10, 2007, 06:55 PM
    No, it's not the morality issue. (In our religion it is not acceptable that they are dating while the man is still legally married.. but, that's another issue). My question here is the legal issue. My friend is the woman dating the man going through the divorce. I guess I don't know how to categorize my question. The bottomline is that the gentleman has a pattern of dating a woman before beginning divorce proceedings with the current wife. This is not the first time he has been down this path. I want my friend to see the light, or at least prolong the dating process, before it's too late.
    Thanks Gogosean for your advice/opinion. I think we'll just see where this goes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing a quadro after divorce [ 3 Answers ]

Hi... we have an unexpected problem. My ex and I divorced several years ago and filed a quadro to split 401ks. We forgot to include an old 401k fund. Now we want to split this additional fund. The plan administrator says we need a new quadro. Do you know if we need a new quadro? If so, is it...

Filing for Divorce on our own [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I don't have enough money for a divorce attorney or mediator. We have a 4 year old son, and have not lived together in over 1 1/2 years. I refinanced the house, cashed him out, he signed off the deed and we have nothing left to split. We already split our assets. We have a great...

Filing for divorce myself [ 1 Answers ]

Im planning to file a divorce myself, I'm tight on money to hire my own lawyer. My questions are; 1. How can I file for divorce if I don't know where he lives? The only address I know is his parents house. 2. Can I use his parents address, although he had mention before that he had no contact...

Divorce filing [ 4 Answers ]

My Husband And I Have Agreed To A Divorce. We Do Not Want To Nor Have The Money To Spend. How Do We File This Own Our Own. We Have No Children.

Divorce filing [ 1 Answers ]

I am married for 5 years, I got married in my country under the normal rituals but now settled in different country. If I want to file for Separation \ divorce where should I file (in my country or in the country I am settled) ?

View more questions Search