Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aprildawn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2005, 01:02 PM
    Parental rights
    Here's my problem. Im 36 weeks pregnant and the father of the baby doesn't want anything to do with the baby. He wanted me to get an abortion and has said a bunch of stuff like he would pay support but he doesn't want to see or have anything to do with the baby. Then he said later that he wasn't going to help me at all . I have tried to talk to him but it just stresses me out. And last time I talked to him he said he would give up his rights. But how do I go about doing that? I don't want to have to hire a lawyer cause I don't have the money to do that. And can I have him give up his rights even though the baby hasn't been born yet?? I know that he won't help with the baby at all because I know he doesn't want the baby. And I want to do this so I don't have to deal with him because its much to stressful to deal with him and I don't need the aggrivation of it all. Is there anyway I can do this myself or do I have to get a lawyer since we both agreed on this?? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated thanks
    josie1218 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2005, 12:57 PM
    Hi Aprildawn,
    josie1218 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2005, 01:10 PM
    Sorry about the last post my computer crapped out on me. As far as your situation you do not need a lawyer. Wait until the baby is born only because I believe the court would prefer you do. Go down to court and file for a petition for sole custody. They will give you some paperwork to fill out then tell tem you need help with the paperwork. A counsiler will help you fill out the petition. Tell them every reason you want sole custody. They will get you a court date both of you have to be present. When you get in front of the judge he/she will ask the father of the baby if he is willing to give up his rights to the baby. He then just has to say yes and that he understands that he is giving up his rights (this doesn't mean he doesn't have to help you financially. The judge will render his/her decision and off you go. A couple of weeks later you will receive a court document saying you have full sole custody. I would suggest if you need financial help from the father get a petition for that too. They are two different hearings. I just went trough all of this myself over the summer. My daughter is now 16months old. Believe me if you just want to be happy tell this guy to go away. Love your new baby. Some how they are like magic they give you the strength you need to make it. Best of luck to you. If you need ant help with this just respond if I can help you I will ;)
    CrzChristie Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Nov 29, 2007, 08:35 PM
    Hey huni if he doesn't want anything to do with your child... the only way I could think of him not having rights is don't put him on the birth cerficet

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Terminate parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

My son who is 15, used to live with me and my wife. I had physical custody. He became violent and disruptive and very hard to handle. My exwife moved him in with her for a while, but he also got into trouble there. To make a long story short,he now lives with my ex brother in law and he now has...

Parental rights [ 11 Answers ]

I am divorced. My ex-wife has a boy friend who wants to adopt my children. They are not married. Does he have to marry her before he can adopt? Do I have any rights to visit or communicate with my children if I give permission to adopt?

Parental Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Richmond Va and have a 12 year old daughter. At this time my ex-husband has full custody of her . He called and informed me that she wanted to live with me full time which I already knew but he said the only way he would allow that to happen is if I got the paperwork drawn up for him to...

Father parental rights? [ 7 Answers ]

I havent seen my son in about 5 years or so even though we live a stone throw away. I have always acknowledged him with each birthday and xmas too. He is seven years of age and my ex partner has a new life as I do too. I have tried to hide my pain over these years hoping she'd have the decency...

Terminating parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

I am in need of help regarding terminating parental rights. I have just been granted a temp protective order (texas) and have court for my final that will last two years. I have been abused for over 10 years by my husband. We have only been married 4. My daughter is 5 going on 6. She goes to...

View more questions Search