Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vv1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Sewer flies
    I am having the sewer/drain fly problem in my house.

The house is a ranch on a slab. I have two bathrooms, one with a shower and the other a tub.

I had a local plumbing company come in to check this. They found a open drain in the shower and fixed it. (The shower drain pipe was simply hanging into the main drain line)

It has been three weeks since the job was done, but I still see drain flies in the other bath room where I have the tub. Should I have them check the plumbing under the tub?

Also, based on the details can you suggest if a camera inspection will help to tell if the pipes under the slab are cracked or broken? My local plumbing company tells me that the camera is too big to fit into a drain pipe. Is that true? It seems that the camera can only be used on the main sewer line.

Thanks and really appreciate your help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 9, 2007, 03:26 PM
    First things first. Let's get rid of the infestation before we get into checking the system drainage. Click on; drain flies, moth flies drain fly control treatment This will explain what drain flies are and how to get rid of them. Good luck, Tom,

May 9, 2007, 04:20 PM
    I have used DF-5000 everyday for 2 weeks but did not see any improvement. This led me to believe that either there is an open drain somewhere or a possible pipe leak under the slab. I gave up on the DIY and sought professional help.

My neighbour is also noticing these drain flies. The house is a duplex ranch on a slab where me and my neighbour are next to each other. Not sure if this will help solve the mystery.

Appreciate any advise on how to proceed before I take the option provided by the local plumber i.e jackhammer the floors and replace the whole plumbing.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 10, 2007, 06:18 AM
    Did you see this? "If adults do not disappear within a week further treatments or looking for other breeding sources is needed ."
    Other breeding sources! You say," My neighbour is also noticing these drain flies."
    Could they be coming in from the city sewer? Have you, or your neighbor, contacted the utility company about this? Tearing up and replacing your drainage is not only overkill but if the infestation comes from a outside source then you have torn up your home and spent your money needlessly. Regards, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 10, 2007, 07:42 AM
    The "plumber" who said the camera would not fit in the drain does not own one. A SeeSnake camera is no larger than your thumb and can reach up to 400'. Your are on a slab but do you have a floor drain anywhere like in the laundry area? These flies bred in the sewer pipes but can't swim through a working trap.

May 10, 2007, 03:58 PM
    Yes, I do have a laundry area drain, but I do not see flies near the area.

I have 2 bathrooms with a tub and shower back to back. I used to see drain flies both in the tub and the shower. About a month ago I hired a plumber who found an open drain in the stall shower. After he fixed the open drain, I stopped seeing flies in that bathroom, however I still have flies in the bacthroom where I have the tub.

Today I had the same plumber come in just to cut a 1 sq foot hole in the wall adjoining the tub. He could not find any obvious problems or leaks. It seems that ABS plastic was the material used in my home and since it is black, it is hard to see a crack using the camera.

Any ideas on where to go from here?? Please help!

I am ready to hire any expert in the centra NJ area if they have any ideas to solve this problem...
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 11, 2007, 07:29 AM
    To cover all bases pour a 50/50 mix of bleach and water into all drains and let stand, especially that floor drain. Flush with hot water after about 30 minutes. This may not solve the infestation but it certainly will not hurt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain flies [ 4 Answers ]

I am having the drain fly problem in my house in New Jersey. The local pest company professionals identified these as drain flies. The house is 25 yrs old and on a slab. It is a ranch style with no basement. I have two bathrooms one with a shower and a tub. It has been 2 years since I bought...

Fruit flies [ 1 Answers ]

In my apt. How do do kill them pemanently. Got rid of them once some how , bought 3 bananas and they're back. Tried flying insect spray and now into hair spray to avoid my toxicity.

Ears and flies [ 1 Answers ]

I have these flies in my ear and I can sometimes hear them buzzing, what should I do to get help with this?

Sewer smell and flies [ 4 Answers ]

We had a huge backup from our basement drain about a year ago (little children and too much paper in the toilet caused it I think). We cleaned up the concrete floor with cleaner and then with bleach and took out the carpet that got wet. All was fine for a while, then the smell started. We get a...

Biting Flies [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know a remedy for biting flies?. we get them really bad and can't be outside at our beach cottage. HELP!

View more questions Search