Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Snails Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2005, 05:20 AM
    DNS update cache
    Hi

I have a small test lab set up for my network which is made up by a couple of servers and desktops.

I used to use the private IP address range of 192 etc but because my broandband router also uses this private address range and acts a dhcp server I decided to switch my testlab network to the 10. Private ip address range.

This all went OK, all my computers are talking to each other OK and being assigned Ip addresses by the test lap dhcp server but my secondary dns server has not updated its dns pool as expected, although my primary dns server has done.

Any ideas why this has happened and also how to fix it or make it pull the correct dns address info from the Primary DNS server?

Thanks in advance
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Apr 15, 2005, 08:02 AM
    What nameserver are you using?

Apr 25, 2005, 02:00 AM
    Well my name servers are my two dns servers :confused:
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Apr 25, 2005, 02:48 PM
    Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. What DNS server software are you running?

Is it BIND?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 25, 2005, 03:20 PM
    Have you updated the push/pull setting on the secondary to take into account the change from 192.x.x.x to 10.x.x.x??

This maybe your problem.

Apr 27, 2005, 11:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by psi42
    Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. What DNS server software are you running?

Is it BIND?
    Ah right - Windows 2000 - I orginaly posted the topic in another web site which was a windows 2000 forum.

Apr 27, 2005, 11:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Have you updated the push/pull setting on the secondary to take into account the change from 192.x.x.x to 10.x.x.x ???

This maybe your problem.
    Sounds sensible. I will look - I haven't had time to chase this up recently so I'll fire it up this evening.

Apr 29, 2005, 12:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Have you updated the push/pull setting on the secondary to take into account the change from 192.x.x.x to 10.x.x.x ???

This maybe your problem.
    I've actually removed the secondary dns server but when I try to re add using the wizard within the dns snap in, just after it asks me to specify the ip of the excisiting DNS server, I receive an error message:

"the specified dns server cannot be contacted to collect the root hints. verify that machine is connected to the network and that the specified remote dns server is connected and running"

Obviously I've ensured that both computers are up and the dns service is running on my primary server so this message seems a little... missleading I think.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I clear my browser cache? [ 2 Answers ]

How I clear my browser cache? I'm a newbie.

Force Browser To Cache Pages? [ 7 Answers ]

I am hosting a swf movie on a page but people click a page then return to that page and it reloads etc etc. Is there anyway I can make it stay in there cache unless they empty it? As most people do it unaware but my bandwidth usage yesterday was over 100mb :eek:

Help Again and update [ 2 Answers ]

So for people who saw my last post I would like to have an update so my question is a little clearer. When I asked the coach he told me that he didn't get to watch me enough so he didn't really evaluate. So he put me against two of the best players in our school who are both about 6 foot....

Hard drive cache [ 2 Answers ]

:eek: can anybody tell me what the difference is in a 2mb and 8mb cache on a hard drive , and what is the best 1 to have, thanks.

Cache memory [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything like software cache memory, how does this works? I have searched many sites but found that it is memory buffer.. I am confused, hardware cache memory is on motherboard or processor, but what about software cache memory Please Help

View more questions Search