Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    parrisfham Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2005, 06:18 PM
    Toilet flange problem
    I have two toilets that both have broken pvc flanges. I have tried to install one of the flange repair rings and the toilet won't seat properly with in on there. One toilet is currently not in use due to my inability to fix this problems thusfar. My question is, how difficult will it be for me to use an inside cutter and remove the flange that is currently broken, glue a new one in place, and the reseat the toilet? I should mention that I am on a concrete slab and I am also installing ceramic tile before I replace the flange or toilet. I usually figure things out on my own, but this plumbing thing really perplexes me.
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Apr 16, 2005, 06:37 AM
    I posted on solutions in a recent post similar to yours. Briefly, a company called plumbest has an online catalog and they have flanges that basically fit inside your current pipe and seal with rubber gaskets. Do a search to find the posts. And check the link... it's called a two finger flange. Also look around in the catalog and you will find a whole bunck of flanges... They carry some of them at Lowe's.

http://www.plumbest.com/searchengine...atalog/e93.htm

Speedball. If you read this... is there any chance that we could put something together on toilet flanges and other common always asked questions and post it on top so people can read up on it? Kind of like a reference?

Tom
    Sethenis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2006, 03:59 PM
    Sorry I found your problem so late.

Anyway, I know of a company named Flangekut Systems in Puerto Rico (Tel. 787.726.0415) (www.flangekutsystems.com) that sells a tool to specifically remove any PVC toilet flange from the downcomer or soil pipe.

The tool cuts the plastic from the inside and you just snap off the flange.

You need a high speed drill (2000+ rpm, $30), put the tool on the drill and insert into the flange, turn on the drill and the blades cut the pipe from the inside. It comes with instructions and everything. It's very easy to use, and it sure beats hammers, chisels and blow torches. It doesn't even damage the flooring. Good luck.

p.s. Repair with union and new flange. You can even extend the height by adding pipe length.
    Sethenis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2006, 04:04 PM
    Sorry I found your problem so late.

Anyway, I know of a company named Flangekut Systems in Puerto Rico (Tel. 787.726.0415) (www.flangekutsystems.com) that sells a tool to specifically remove any PVC toilet flange from the downcomer or soil pipe.

The tool cuts the plastic from the inside and you just snap off the flange.

You need a high speed drill (2000+ rpm, $30), put the tool on the drill and insert into the flange, turn on the drill and the blades cut the pipe from the inside. It comes with instructions and everything. It's very easy to use, and it sure beats hammers, chisels and blow torches. It doesn't even damage the flooring. Good luck.

p.s. Repair with union and new flange. You can even extend the height by adding pipe length.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2006, 07:52 PM
    It would help to know if you present flange has or had a metal ring around it, also if it is all plastic does it fit inside of the pipe or does it fit on the out side of the pipe. Also it you pipe riser a three inch or four inch pipe. There several different ways to approach the problem depending on which you have. Most can be done for under twenty-five dollars in expense.

Let us know on the net here and someone will advise you. Good luck
    klmgb Posts: 114, Reputation: 13

Mar 3, 2006, 08:31 PM
    That's exactly what I did. Cut off the pipe from the inside then bought an adapter with the od same as the id from what I cut off. The problem after that ended up being 2 things. 1. New flange set too low, the bottom of the flange needs to be level with the floor. I bought a spacer that is made to go down when you tile a floor. 2. Glue wouldn't hold, new piece kept coming loose. I ended up using Tapcon screws to hold the flange down. Works great now
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 4, 2006, 11:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tommytman
    I posted on solutions in a recent post similar to yours. Briefly, a company called plumbest has an online catalog and they have flanges that basically fit inside your current pipe and seal with rubber gaskets. Do a search to find the posts. And check the link....it's called a two finger flange. Also look around in the catalog and you will find a whole bunck of flanges...They carry some of them at LOWES.

http://www.plumbest.com/searchengine...atalog/e93.htm

Speedball. If you read this....is there any chance that we could put something together on toilet flanges and other commom always asked questions and post it on top so people can read up on it? Kind of like a reference??

Tom
    I know what you're asking but you would have to address all situations and that would take up too much space. There just isn't "one answer covers it all" to it. If I did that on toilet flanges it would open the door to faucets, partial clogs, washer backups, etc. No I think we'll keep on answering on a one on one basis. But I consider the question good reasoning on your part. Thanks, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Flange Problem [ 1 Answers ]

In my 1940's bathroom remodel the old toilet didn't even have a flange.After replacing the rotted floor around the toilet,I have my ceramic tile down and it's flush with the top of the cast iron pipe.My question is what type of flange to use.The cast iron only goes down 1 3/4" before it narrows and...

Toilet Flange [ 1 Answers ]

I'm remodeling my bathroom. I've removed the old toilet and dug up the old flooring and subflooring. Together they were about 7/8" in thickness. Since I will now have a lower floor, what do I do to put in a new toilet flange? The old one was brass and only 1/4" thick and simply had the drain...

Toilet flange [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm putting a new floor in the bathroom. The tolet flange is higher by 1/4 in on one side and 1/2 in on the other above the floor I'm going to put ceramic tile down. Do I need to level it out or bring the floor up around the flange? Thanks Tim

Toilet Flange [ 3 Answers ]

I have a downstairs toilet that the flange is all broke on. Apparently the owners prior to me cut the flange out and liquid nailed a new one in. The house sits on a slab. My idea was to drill some holes and screw the flange into the slab. Replacement PVC flange has screw holes (for some...

Toilet flange HELP! [ 3 Answers ]

HI, I need some good professional advise. My toilet was leaking and I removed it to find that the toilet flange was broken on one side. The flange and lower pipe appear to be cast iron 4 inch. I must replace some of the damaged flooring but am at a loss as to how to remove the cast iron flange from...

View more questions Search