Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mani_great Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2005, 12:21 PM
    State tax filing for F1 visa holder - spouse has no ITIN/SSN
    Hello,

I am a student on an F-1 visa , and have a wife on an F-2 dependent visa. I can file the federal tax forms without an ITIN for my wife as I will be completing a W7 to apply for an ITIN. How can I claim my wife on any of the state tax forms, as they ask for the spouse's ITIN?

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Mani
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2005, 12:49 PM
    Mani:

I have seen cases where people apply for the spouse's ITIN file simultaneously by attaching the tax return to the W-7, expecting the IRS officials to fill-in the ITIN and file the return. Logically, tat makes sense.

However, for state returns, you need to file an extension (make a payment if taxes are owed) and simply wait for the ITIN to be issued before filing. The state tax officials will not coordinate with the IRS and get the ITIN when it is issued.

Apr 14, 2005, 12:59 PM
    Thanks. The state forms actually ask for the SSN and not even the ITIN.

I guess the other option is to file without claiming an exemption? Also, I had an internship at CA, but my wife was not present with me there (she came into the US only in december). So, can I claim an exemption in that form too?

I really appreciate your reply.

Thank you very much

Mani
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2005, 09:21 PM
    Mani:

For tax purposes, the SSN and ITIN are the same thing on any tax return.

Yes, you can claim your spouse in California as well.

I still recommend your file an extension and wait for the ITIN to be issued.

Apr 15, 2005, 05:52 AM
    Thanks Atlanta_great.

When I called up the California tax help desk, they recommended filing the return with "applied for" written where SSN/ITIN is asked. I guess I will do that. I am expecting refunds for both states, so even if they return the tax forms, I won't have any penalty.

Thanks again
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 15, 2005, 07:54 AM
    If those are the instructions from the California tax help desk, then file.

Like you said, since you have a refund coming, no penalties will result if they later reject the return.

Apr 15, 2005, 08:06 AM
    Thanks.

The GA dept asked me to file for an extension. So, I will file my CA as above, but GA I will ask for an extension.

Thanks atlanta_great. You have been very helpful.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 15, 2005, 08:40 AM
    Not surprised about Georgia. Though they have been getting better over the past few years, their level of professionalism leaves much to be desired.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No ITIN For Spouse [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Problems: 1) No ITIN For spouse. 2) Only 3 days remain to file taxes. 3) worked in 2 states(CA and NC) and I might owe about $10 in NC but will be receiving money in CA and Federal. 4) To claim standard deduction I need to wait until I get spouse's ITIN. One suggestion has been to...

L1, Spouse on L2 ITIN Filing - Visa or I797A? [ 5 Answers ]

I am on L1 and have SSN. My wife is on L2 and does not have SSN. This is the first time I am filing under Married status. I am preparing Form W7 to be filed with Form 1040-EZ. Instructions for Form W7 Box 6C says enter nonimmigrant visa information, number and expiry date. Since our original...

Filing return for ITIN, ID Card requirements [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have come to US in Apr-2006, couple of months back. I am on H1B I have a SSN no, and I have not filled my tax returns anytime. I am located in AZ, USA. My spouse is on H4. We don't have any children. I have few questions regarding getting her ITIN: 1. Its still time to file my...

Spouse on H4, no SSN/ITIN [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I was in USA on a H1B visa for close to six years, I got married in May 2005 and my wife accompanied me to the US for four months. We returned to our native for good in September 2005. I did not file for a ITIN/SSN for my wife during her stay. Can I file a joint return claiming her as...

View more questions Search