Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Honduras Bob Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2007, 05:45 PM
    Power outage Generators
    Got my house pretty well up ;and running, with your help.. Today was informed, Electricity will soon be cut to 4 hrs a day.. so back up generator may be the answer.. Question is, how to tell what size genarator should I get.. Got a 150 Amp Svc, Elect stove, Washer, dryer, water htr, AC about 4 window units, and all the American Appliances we are used to.. Generator Size?? anyone know?
    hay1280 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2007, 06:09 PM
    You will require a very large generator in order to continue to operate all the alliances at will. The best approach would be to determine a schedule... for example never cook and dry clothes at the same time. Next determine the nameplate kw of each appliance and total the kw ratings for those that you will operate at the same time. For your electric range you may not want operate the oven at the same time as surface units. Then consider what appliances have motors and add a about 5 times the kw rating of the largest motor to your load summay... extra capacity is required for starting motors.
    NorCal68 Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

May 9, 2007, 09:58 PM
    Considering your location, have you thought about integrating solar electric into this system? I haven't read all of your posts, so maybe this has been brought up before. I think it's certainly something to consider... I've used a generator (6500 watt Onan) and now I'm adding a PV (solar) system. The sound of that generator gets a little irritating after a while, along with the need to refuel on a regular basis.
    Honduras Bob Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2007, 05:12 AM
    Solar is a damn good answer and a perfect solution, Thanks..

May 10, 2007, 10:36 AM
    Hi Bob, I'll post some additional info later this afternoon regarding solar systems - and thanks for your reply.
    "Solar: It's not just for electric gates anymore!"
    hay1280 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2007, 10:49 AM
    OK... my thoughts on solar power may be a bit out of date... I will follow this post to see what develops. I did find mention of using solar power to supplement your energy needs. Hope someone will comment on the cost of such a system. Seems like it would be a large invetiment to power up a home.

May 10, 2007, 03:33 PM
    Here are a few sites you might want to check out. I'm been to the California Real Goods / Solar Living place in Hopland, Calif. And they seem to really know their stuff. You can also type in: Solar Electric Systems for a Google search and that should bring back a large number of sites that offer information as well.

Real Goods Residential Solar Installation in California and Colorado

Solar Living Institute - Renewable Energy and Sustainable Living Education

Backwoods Solar Electric Systems

Solar Electric Systems

SITE VISIT

Hope this helps!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 02:17 PM
    I live in a hurricane prone area. Current Project I am on, the owner wants to use
    Central Air, 100 amp insta heat, water heater. etc... Everything, on generator. Problem is fuel and noise
    It is an EMERGENCY, A small generator can handle a frige, ceiling fans and lights. They can all be hooked up, Turn each off when leaving room. Did a house before that. Giant Array of Solar Panels. Will even make the electric meter run Backwards. Personally it is not cost effective unless you can't live without the luxuries.
    This works for long time, little fuel .I like a small generator, cool frige during day.
    Turn off at night. Have 12 volt fans, lights, radio, to be used off battery. No noise
    And you won't wake up dead from fumes.
    Solar panel excellent way to keep Battery(s) charged.
    As far as what size generator, What do you REALLY need. And how much money do yo you want to spend?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Generators [ 3 Answers ]

What size generator would be needed to run home of 1800 square feet? What size for lighting only? min. rpm's (on generator)for each application? Torque required to started this generator? Torque required to keep it running?

Partial power outage [ 3 Answers ]

At Any Given Time The Power Will Go Out Only In The Living Room (outlets, Fans, Lights Etc.) And Also A Couple Of The Outlets In The Kitchen That Include The Refrigerator, Stove And 2 Add'l Outlets, All Others Work. Also The Ac Goes Out. The Rest Of The House Works. We Have A Devise That...

Worker's Safety during a power outage [ 4 Answers ]

How long can an employer in CA keep workers at a site, restaurant, during a power outage? Specifically, this power outage happens in the evening and no lights are on, no fire alarm is working and the emergency lights are the only illumination.

Portable generators [ 2 Answers ]

I know there are a few threads about this but I wanted to clarify the answers for myself. First of all, we live in an area that has a high water table. I also heard the power goes out quite frequently. If that happens and our sump pump isn't able to work... well our basement will be in about 3-4...

Printer Problem - Power Outage [ 2 Answers ]

Good Afternoon, The company I work for recently had a power outage and one of our printers has a message on it. The message reads: Load file and execute. The printer is stuck here. I turn it on and off several times, replaced the jetdirect card and changed the memory. None of which helped. Has...

View more questions Search