Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kellyb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2005, 05:35 PM
    No water pressure after pipe replaced
    Hi--we had a leak in a hot water pipe in our basement--after the pipe was replaced we have lost our hot water pressure. The pipe is more narrow than the pipe that was originally there, could that be the problem?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2005, 06:37 PM
    A slightly smaller pipe has a huge effect on pressure drop. For instance replace a common 3/4'' ID pipe with a 1/2'' one, and the pressure drop is 8 times as much. The new pipe could be thinner walled than the old and still about the same inside.

More likely, the pipe work knocked some crud loose that traveled to the first fitting or valve and clogged the pipe there. If the pressure is down all over the house, the clog should be between the hot water tank and the first tee. Can you shut the outlet to the hot water tank off, and take the pipe to it loose? Do it, and go to a mixing faucet, turn on both the hot and cold, and hold your hand over the outlet and see if you can force cold water back the hot line and push the clog out. If you can't do that, can you shut the inlet off and open the drain valve at the bottom of the hot water tank? Even shutting all the water off, opening the drain, and a hot faucet might work. Somehow you must make water run backward through the clogged area and out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to pressure-test gas pipe [ 15 Answers ]

Hi again! First, MANY thanks to you experts for the help I've gotten in the last month. I passed my plumbing inspection for my new bathroom and kitchen! Now, on to one more little one. I'm installing gas lines. The house was previously on oil heat and all other appliances were electric,...

Low Pressure with galvanized pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I am having low pressure/volume when I turn on the hot water, especially in the shower, the kitchen sink, and the dishwasher. I do have some galvanized pipe, but this problem came on suddenly this winter. Could the hot water heater have anything to do with this? It is 14 years old. Is there any...

Pipe diameter = poor water pressure? [ 1 Answers ]

My apartment has low pressure, especially in the shower. It's a loft building in NYC and my unit was renovated in 1985. Others in the building claim to have no issues with pressure. I'm re-doing one bath and the walls have been removed. While the pipes running to the shower area are large, the...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

Replaced Main Water Line, Now Shower Line Is Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We had a leak, so we had the water line and sewage line from the house to the street replaced. Now we have no water in the shower. Some debris most have clogged up the line coming into the shower. All the other lines are fine. My Dad is somewhat of a handyman and wants to fix the problem...

View more questions Search