Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    larisan86 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2005, 02:22 PM
    I found a cat
    Hi,

To begin with, I found a cat hiding on the top of my tire in my car. I don't want to bring it to the animal control because I'm afraid she has no owner and I don't want her to be put to sleep. So instead, I'm making fliers and posting them around.

So anyway, the cat doesn't want to eat or do anything for that matter. She just hides under the table and sleeps.

Is there any way I can find out what kind of cat do I have? How can I make it eat or make feel comfortable in my house? Oh by the way, I also have two dogs, could it be the smell of the dogs that makes the cat feel uncomfortable?

Please help.

Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2005, 02:37 PM
    Until the people here that know more about cats than I do answer, contact the shelter. The owners of the cat may have contacted the shelter. Include the vets' offices with your fliers. I wouldn't worry about it not eating for a day or 2 unless it is all skin and bones. Dogs sometimes go days without eating and it doesn't hurt them. I would leave food out for it somewhere the dogs can't get it.
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Apr 14, 2005, 06:10 AM
    Hello,

The poor cat might have been a house cat that got out by mistake. Have you contacted your neighbors?

Unfortunately, it could also be newly dumped which would account for it being unduly stressed and tired.

If you have other cats, I'd keep this one away from them unless you have it tested for FeLV (feline leukemia). FeLV is a deadly disease which can be transmitted through exchange of blood and saliva (fighting and breeding mostly).

Are there any groups like the Humane Association or the S.P.C.A. in your area? These groups are usually "no-kill" shelters that would be a better choice than animal control.

Putting up flyers is a good idea. Also, putting an ad in the lost pets section of your local newspaper. Some papers run found ads for free.

As to what kind of cat it is, describe it and I'll try to help you. Most likely, it's a mixed breed but I'll see what I can do.

If the cat is overly upset or depressed, that could account for lack of appetite. Try offering a bif of tuna or canned cat food mixed with a high quality dry (such as Iams or Hill's). Canned food can sometimes cause diahrrea and/or stomach upset so don't feed too much and stick with dry mostly.

Hope things work out for you. Is it a possibility that you might keep the cat if an owner is not found?

Regards,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend found another man after 3 yrs [ 46 Answers ]

Threads merged Ive been seeing this girl for 3yrs. Always been there for her, do everything 2 make her happy and comfortable (she's a student and I'm a worker) and one day she told me the parents are against the relationship so we should stop seeing each other. I tried convincing her but she...

Found a new thing! [ 8 Answers ]

:) Hey guyz I found this new website I don't know anything of it but it look promising here's the link tell me what you think? http://www.euoko.com/web/n_product.aspx?route=5

Look what I found behind my ceiling [ 4 Answers ]

Due to a leak that originated above the living room of the house I just bought (built in 1920), I decided to pull down my very old ceiling and have new drywall and molding hung. Doing so revealed two things. 1) One of the previous owners painted over the wallpaper :rolleyes: 2) My house...

View more questions Search