Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 8, 2007, 10:41 AM
    Useless Constitutional Law?
    I'm talking about the president's not being allowed to declare war without Congressional consent and his getting around that by simply not declaring war and going to war anyway. If it's that easy to get around it why not trash the law altogether since it certainly isn't saving lives or hindering any president from doing what he has to do when he wants to do it regardles of what Congress thinks.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2007, 11:01 AM
    I think they still use the Constitution up in DC, in the wash room, on little spools.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2007, 11:16 AM
    Of course the current situation in Iraq was voted on in Congress and apporved by well over 95 percent of both parties.

But under the powers given the president he does not power as the commander in chief, since it was obvous that at times fast response would be requried of our military,
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 9, 2007, 12:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Of course the current situation in Iraq was voted on in Congress and apporved by well over 95 percent of both parties.

But under the powers given the president he does not power as the commander in chief, since it was obvous that at times fast response would be requried of our military,

I understand that the executive power of the president includes his right to move rapidly as commander in chief of the armed forces and take military action. My question is of what benefit is the law requiring a declaration of war if war can be waged without it? It comes across like a mere formalism instead of a law which restrains what it seems to appear to be restraining. In short, if that declaration requirement were to be deleted from the Constitution it would make little difference in foreign policy since wars are initiated regardless of it. Or am I missing something here?

BTW
    Japan was criticized for waging war without a declaration of war--right?
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

May 9, 2007, 12:53 AM
    Hitler... Enabling Act... anyone... no? Lol!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Other law [ 1 Answers ]

I was served by a local sheriff with a document entitled Notice of right to have exemtions designated, what are the implications of this action?

Law [ 3 Answers ]

If you have an order of protection against you can it stop you receiving: a passport

Law [ 1 Answers ]

John, Peter and Mark are owners of 10 acres of land in Mandeville. They own the land as joint tenants. Mark lives overseas and John and Peter want to get a mortgage to build some town houses for sale on the land. Tony who has been occupying a part of the land under a 10 year fixed tenancy will be...

It's weird and useless but please try! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello.. for many years I've been wanting to wear a chain in my neck. But when I did after 1h ++ my neck began to itch and itch really bad until I would scratch my skin open and infect it. Not so long ago I found in an old box in my house, a cream called ''spectro gluvs - skin irritant protection...

View more questions Search